Music Magpie - Warning

I sent MM a working HTC phone. I couldnt check emails for a time. I now find they have offered me £7 instead of £75 ish. Because i didn't reply within 4 days I have lost my working HTC and £65. Apparently it had screen burn???? Currently raising a complaint as I believe that their T and Cs are appalling and put consumers at a distinct disadvantage, particularly when expecting customers to respond to electronic communication within 4 days. Won't be recommending MM or using them again, feel completely ripped off....lets hope they respond to my complaint within 45 seconds, as that was in my T and C's!!!
One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    How did they say they would contact you when you signed up?
    Was contact by e-mail unexpected?
  • markray007 wrote: »
    I sent MM a working HTC phone. I couldnt check emails for a time. I now find they have offered me £7 instead of £75 ish. Because i didn't reply within 4 days I have lost my working HTC and £65. Apparently it had screen burn???? Currently raising a complaint as I believe that their T and Cs are appalling and put consumers at a distinct disadvantage, particularly when expecting customers to respond to electronic communication within 4 days. Won't be recommending MM or using them again, feel completely ripped off....lets hope they respond to my complaint within 45 seconds, as that was in my T and C's!!!

I just had a similar experience with Music Magpie - sent them a fully working HTC worth £70 and got an offer for £7 for a broken phone. Luckily for me I was watching my emails like a hawk and rejected their offer. On receipt it worked fine, from which I will make my own assumptions about the motivations of Music Magpie...
  • Scarlett
    Scarlett Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Posting this here, as I'm also having problems with MM.

Sent them my phone. They said there was a problem as my phone was listed as lost/stolen/barred, so I had the block removed. They came back to me and confirmed that the red flag had been removed, but they were now revaluing the device due some "damage", which is bs as there was no damage when I sent it to them. They offered me half of the originally quoted price, or said they would return the device free of charge. I promptly asked them to return it to me. Heard nothing for a few days. Then I got an email stating that “after re-testing your device, we have discovered that we still cannot access it as the block has not been removed”... which again is utter bs, as I know the block has been removed, and they've confirmed that it's been removed.

I pointed that out to them, and asked them again to return it. No response. I've emailed them, written on their FB and tweeted. No reply.

Does anyone know what my legal rights are? Would this constitute theft?!
  • loobiloo
    loobiloo Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ive had the same problem. I sent them a 2 year old Galaxy S5 in very good condition. Rather than the £100 they said they'd pay me, they reduced it to £15 saying that the sim card holder was broken. I asked them to clarify what that meant (twice) and received no response other than I now had 48 and then 24 hours left to accept or refuse their revised offer. I declined and said I wanted my phone back.

Then they told me my revised offer had been accepted! I told them I didn't want it, I wanted my perfectly decent phone back. And now they tell me their measly £15 is on its way. I've emailed, tweeted and had no relevant response from them. I've just left a complaint on a comparison site but don't imagine anything will come of that.

I wasn't away from my emails so was able to respond to them immediately but sadly they were all ignored.

What are our rights here?
  • loobiloo
    Still I wait to hear from this appalling shower of sh*ts! They have said they will return my phone after I returned their measly £15. This was done 11 days ago. I realise they are probably quite busy with having to return phones to people but I am wondering who I could complain to? Thanks!
  • No-one. Send a LBA and then issue proceedings if you get no-where.
  • loobiloo
    What's an LBA?

thanks
  • Scarlett
    loobiloo wrote: »
    What's an LBA?

thanks

I believe it's a letter before action. I don't know if I can post links, but look here:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/going-to-court/taking-court-action/step-one-write-a-letter-before-action/
  • Scarlett
    They've managed to send my phone back to me, after 2 weeks of me emailing and messaging them every day. I haven't picked it up from the post office though, so who knows what kind of state it's in after they've thrown it around their offices!
  • loobiloo
    Scarlett wrote: »
    They've managed to send my phone back to me, after 2 weeks of me emailing and messaging them every day. I haven't picked it up from the post office though, so who knows what kind of state it's in after they've thrown it around their offices!

Oh good luck then! They really are a crummy blood pressure raising 'company' - magpies are known for stealing arent they? I guess at least they got their name right.... :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback