The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be fair, I think that's the normal price of the L1dl Rainforest Alliance certified own brand stuff? I managed to pick up some nice Taylors of Harrogate stuff on offer, something like £7.50 down to £5.50 for a 3 pack of beans with another 15% off for putting through 5 seperate subscribe and save orders for the same thing ;)

Could use some now, I am flagging!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    I was very pleased Greying - had to move away from the living room light as I was jumping up and down so much :D :j

I believe Jonny is thriving on a diet of cow pie and protein shakes! Even the 'small' players are pretty massive these days, I think all the professional rugby players focus a lot more on strength work and nutrition. That's probably true of most sports - go back 40 years and international players looked like random guys from the high street - now they're very obviously sporting professionals :think:

Edit: FIL actually had the pleasure of cooking for Mr Gray for several months while being in charge of the catering for one of his club sides. Reading between the lines, rugby clubs are very demanding customers and it sounded like they made very little profit despite the prestigious contract. That said, he always had a good word for the players, who were a lovely bunch and very appreciative. Apparently the quantities are ridiculous - multiple portions of fastidiously sourced lean meats, 2lbs of carbs per player and cauldrons of veg! :eek:

Now you see ed, I was going to reference Desperate Dan's 'Cow Pie' - but I thought a youngling such as yourself would wonder what the hickey I was wittering on about! :rotfl:Yes, the 'shape' of rugger players has most definitely changed, hasn't it? Nobody looks like Brian Moore, anymore........ ;) But even so - Jonny's transformation seemed particularly spiffing. I guess without Ritchie to 'stand-next-to' this year, perhaps he's come into his own and has a greater prescence as a player. And I'm delighted - as a vegetarian - to learn that top-flight strapping rugger players, eat.their.veg! :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options

Spreadsheets updated and our NW has plunged along with that of most of the developed world over the last few weeks. Equities have shed £2k+ of value, our notional house price has dropped £9k (not a problem, I only track home equity vs. real purchase price) and my credit score has also taken a might whack because I closed a CC.

Our SIPPs and ISAs have lost a lot in the last couple of weeks. However, it's money for the long term, so this is to be expected from time to time, just got to ride it out. My app tells me that the markets are all 'green' today, so hoping things might settle a bit
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    On the subject of Cow Pie, there's a restaurant near us which, for the last nearly 40 years, has a signature dish called Desperate Dan Cow Pie, complete with pastry 'horns'
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Our SIPPs and ISAs have lost a lot in the last couple of weeks. However, it's money for the long term, so this is to be expected from time to time, just got to ride it out. My app tells me that the markets are all 'green' today, so hoping things might settle a bit

You're right there Goldie, if anything youngish people should be praying for prices to fall as we're going to be buying for a long time...

I'm no longer as phased as I might have been since I have a DB pension again that I fully expect to provide the 'floor' for my retirement income. It gives me reasonable comfort to maintain dizzingly high levels of equities. I'm not allowed to leave the public sector until I pass my SIPP value again :D

Shouldn't take more than 4 years or so.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be fair, I think that's the normal price of the L1dl Rainforest Alliance certified own brand stuff? I managed to pick up some nice Taylors of Harrogate stuff on offer, something like £7.50 down to £5.50 for a 3 pack of beans with another 15% off for putting through 5 seperate subscribe and save orders for the same thing ;)

Could use some now, I am flagging!
    I didn't know that :o my best price here is £2.30 which is almost exactly the price of the return rail fare to my nearest Lidl... and I'm passing another one on Friday ... okay, I have to make more of an effort to coordinate my shopping, 4 packs would compensate me for the rail fare, then I'd be quids in. Must do better.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we have a rugby academy attached to my school and the boys who enter go in as typical string bean teenage types and come out like brick outhouses :eek:
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Feeling very run down today - DD and Mrs E unwell and sleep is non-existent.

The 15 bags of coffee was slightly ridiculous - they'd stuck it all in a giant box along with a bulk container of F@ith in N@ture laundry detergent and then rammed the whole thing sideways in our wheelie bin! :eek:

In other first world news, I am disappointed with my biodegradable chewing gum :o I bought it because 1) normal chewing gum is basically plastic and 2) all their publicity shots just show basic cardboard packaging. Somewhat disappointed with what arrived, every individual package shrink wrapped and another layer over the bulk box. It also loses its flavour very quickly. Somewhat annoying as I'd paid over the odds for something that (I thought) would be better for the environment. I wonder if it's just one of those areas of life where there are bigger fish to fry? After all, how much chewing gum can one person put in the bin over a lifetime? Say 25 pieces a week for 45 years.... What's that? A cubic foot of gum? :think:

On a more positive note, it is payday and I am looking forward to getting home after the gym this evening so that I can give the spreadsheets a good workout. Based on the logic that we can't afford a new car like the current one at the present time, a Council Tax free month and the first round of budget trimming, I think I can free up over £1,000, which will pay off the next smallest credit card and take us down to 4.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Take care of yourself, Ed, being rundown and taking care of ill people is tough ...

Argh to the coffee/laundry detergent, and double argh to the chewing gum. Can I go back to basics and ask why you use it? Could anything else do its job, or do you just like it? Is there a HM recipe online or is it impossible? I never got into chewing gum, so its a closed book to me, but I'm interested, its really demonised around street rubbish collection etc ...

Erm, you're not well. Ignore above questions!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Of course KC - I work in an open plan office and I am wary of having bad breath as I spend half the day eating! I think I'd feel quite paranoid going to a meeting without something minty to hand...

I was also under the impression that (sugar free) gum was good for oral hygiene as it increases the amount of saliva you produce and it removes food residues from your teeth?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback