What TV do I need?

Options
2»

Comments

• iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Work out what quality size and viewing angles you want.

Read up on UHD, HDR, WCG.

If you are streaming you will have access to UHD HDR content it would be a waste not to try to get the best from that.

55" is the sweet spot for size/value/quality.

Some decent deals about on those and bigger.

For family viewing be careful with viewing angles.

Budget will guide where you end up.

Once you have the key quality features sorted then you can look at the finer details to narrow down the brands.

For HDR - you spend £1000 upwards. Any set significantly lower than that price - don't even worry about HDR - yes they all claim to have HDR now but the reality is the cheaper sets simply use it as a marketing trick.

HDR brightness requirements exceeds what sets sub £1000 can achieve.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    iwb100 wrote: »
    For HDR - you spend £1000 upwards. Any set significantly lower than that price - don't even worry about HDR - yes they all claim to have HDR now but the reality is the cheaper sets simply use it as a marketing trick.

HDR brightness requirements exceeds what sets sub £1000 can achieve.
    Utter nonsense. There is plenty QLED/Nanocell TVs at under £1000 are you telling me they don't have enough brightness for "proper" HDR?

The main problem with HDR isn't TV panel brightness - it's lack of content and compatibility between the competing standards.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Utter nonsense. There is plenty QLED/Nanocell TVs at under £1000 are you telling me they don't have enough brightness for "proper" HDR?
    Before you call it nonsense I think we would need to qualify the statement with a size. OP didn't mention what size they're after.
    Check out avforums.com to see what people say about HDR and brightness levels. I'd say it's good advice that you should check very carefully whether a TV you're looking at is capable of outputting, properly, HDR content. There are plenty of HDR TVs on shelves right now, that can't actually do HDR properly at all. A valid warning, not utter nonsense. Feel free to link to some nice cheap proper HDR TVs!
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Before you call it nonsense I think we would need to qualify the statement with a size. OP didn't mention what size they're after.
    Check out avforums.com to see what people say about HDR and brightness levels. I'd say it's good advice that you should check very carefully whether a TV you're looking at is capable of outputting, properly, HDR content. There are plenty of HDR TVs on shelves right now, that can't actually do HDR properly at all. A valid warning, not utter nonsense. Feel free to link to some nice cheap proper HDR TVs!
    I really CBA browsing conspiracy theory forums. Half of the TVs in the top 10 HDR roundup by WhatHiFi are sub £1000
    https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/tvs/best-4k-hdr-tvs
  • iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    I really CBA browsing conspiracy theory forums. Half of the TVs in the top 10 HDR roundup by WhatHiFi are sub £1000

And none of those TV's deliver the 1000 nit (for LCD TVs) deemed the minimum to really enjoy HDR.

Those cheap TV's struggle to get to 400nits - most people watch SDR at around 250-300nits. So HDR on a 400 nit set will look dark.

And some on those lists don't even get to the same brightness max that people would watch SDR on premium TV's.

Given most films are mastered in HDR up to 4000 or 10000 nits - how do you think a 400 nit set will cope trying to compress that range into such a small brightness range?

There are a few older last year models you might get like the Sony posted above that can hit a reasonable standard. But in the main you are looking £800 and up and for current year models over £1000 for HDR worth having. The rest is just a "gimmick" - it supports an HDR signal sure - but cannot display HDR how it is meant to look.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    I'm not knocking whathifi and I know next to nothing about HDR, but AV Forums is probably one of the first places you should look if you want help on deciding which TV to buy, there's some pretty knowledgeable people on there.

See the following post which backs up what others are saying about HDR. It basically states that nowadays about 90% of TVs can show non HDR content just as good as the higher end TV's, its the quality of the HDR you are paying for at higher end.
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/all-about-hdr-high-dynamic-range.2259242/#post-27547521

Also worth checking out the very comprehensive:
    My Best Value TV's 2019-20
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really CBA browsing conspiracy theory forums.

That's a new one on me. What part of measuring specifications makes it a conspiracy theory forum?!!
    Half of the TVs in the top 10 HDR roundup by WhatHiFi are sub £1000

That's more like it! Do they actually do the brightness required for HDR then?
    And none of those TV's deliver the 1000 nit (for LCD TVs) deemed the minimum to really enjoy HDR.

Ah, no! Please retract the 'conspiracy theory' statement - we're talking about facts, based on standards, and 'very few if any' sub £1,000 TVs manage it, even though 'many' advertise it. I've got 2 4K TVs now, neither of which can show HDR properly. I knew that BEFORE I bought them. Consumers need to know what they're buying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure