PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• evuka
    evuka Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SuperMoose wrote: »
    Wilko sell some for £1.75 for 500g :)

Just been to Wilko yesterday to buy white vinegar (£1 for 1 litre in a spray bottle) and saw the bicarb as well. Popped into Home Bargains after it and they have 500 g bicarb for 99p only!

I'm in a cleaning group on fb and they sing wonders of Zoflora disinfectant, found it in Wilko for £1 (also in HB for 99p so not much of a difference there).

On the coffee topic - I usually drink instant and buy the Nescafe Gold blend in HB or Poundland. They sell the 200g jar for £5 while it costs £7 in Sainsbug. (I already have two empty and will use these as containers in my kitchen cabinets.)

I love the idea of instant during the week and proper brewed at the weekends so I'm gonna try that from now on. I have a french press and I do foam my milk with it (based on a "life hack" video - just heat up your milk/soya/almond milk, etc and the french press makes it soooo foamy :happyhear)

If you buy ground coffee and turns out you don't like the taste, you can improve it with a pinch of cinnamon. Just put it in the machine with the coffee and it will brew you tasty :T
    6mo EF: £ /£
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 £
    NSD: Jan /
    Sell 100 items /100
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I was given a Nespresso coffee machine to review by Amazon, and it was a treat twice a week machine, with capsules from CRU Kafe, (Fairtrade), until Aldi relaunched their range of capsules. Now, it's my all-day-treat. I get the decaff capsules mail-order, I alternate between Aldi and CRU Kafe for these.

Both brands are completely fine to use, and equivalent in quality to Nescafe's own, very expensive, capsules.

The Nespresso compatible brand to avoid is Taylor's, unfortunately - I love their tea.
    Three out of ten in every box jammed, and one nearly broke my machine. Only my incredibly strong DS forcing the jammed machine back open rescued it.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    evuka wrote: »
    I'm in a cleaning group on fb and they sing wonders of Zoflora disinfectant, found it in Wilko for £1 (also in HB for 99p so not much of a difference there)
    I did wonder about Zoflora so bought a load in the scents I could tolerate from Poundland (French Lavender? Hyacinth? Uurgh! :o) and used it for a while. Shortly afterwards I bought into Method instead, smells lovely and although expensive can often be found on offer in supermarkets. Wild rhubarb, anyone? Grapefruit, perhaps? These days bathroom smells divinely of eucalyptus and mint and my wooden floors of almond :A

Mumsnet has a lot to answer for ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • evuka
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I did wonder about Zoflora so bought a load in the scents I could tolerate from Poundland (French Lavender? Hyacinth? Uurgh! :o) and used it for a while. Shortly afterwards I bought into Method instead, smells lovely and although expensive can often be found on offer in supermarkets. Wild rhubarb, anyone? Grapefruit, perhaps? These days bathroom smells divinely of eucalyptus and mint and my wooden floors of almond :A

Mumsnet has a lot to answer for ;)

I will defo check it out after I used up the Zoflora, now I went for the linen scent. They had "bouquet" and something else (lavender perhaps?) but although I love flower scents, I'm not sure I want my home smell like them, especially when trying something for the first time!
    Sell 100 items /100
  • fedupfreddie
    Options
    I have found that a couple of drops of zoflora in the toilet after use does a wonderful job of removing nasty smells.
  • evuka
    Options
    sparrer wrote: »
    I have a Spitz with a coat approx 6" long and 2 white cats :eek:. I had a the original Dyson DC01 which died after 12 years loyal use. I was fortunate enough to be given a Miele CatnDog via freecycle which puts anything else I've ever used in the shade...except on a couple cheapish 'felted' rugs which only respond to dragging the edge of my trainers across them. While wearing them, of course :D

Reading earlier posts on the thread and found a discussion about carpet sweepers and vacuums. When my previous vacuum died I was longing for a Dyson. But even a refurbished one cost £99 and it was way over my budget. I looked up some reviews on Arg0$ and found really good ratings/comments about their own bagless one. I think it cost me £37 and it works really well with my maine coon's long hair, it's lightweight and I love the no-need-for-bags cylinder! :cool: Easy to carry, to store and clean as well. It only has one suction power but it's strong enough for carpets.
    Sell 100 items /100
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Saving pennies: one year, I asked for a year!!!8217;s subscription to Gardeners World for my birthday, and dh gave it to me. I had found a deal somewhere, so it was cheaper than normal. I have kept all the issues and read through them again every year, by month. I find that I usually have forgotten what was in them :) Now and then I buy or get given a newer issue, and I will replace the older one, and give it to a friend. She gives me her old interior decorating mags :)
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 February 2018 at 12:30AM
    Options
    Redye hubbys black jeans with Dylon. Breathed a new lease of life into them.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    evuka wrote: »
    Reading earlier posts on the thread and found a discussion about carpet sweepers and vacuums. When my previous vacuum died I was longing for a Dyson. But even a refurbished one cost £99 and it was way over my budget. I looked up some reviews on Arg0$ and found really good ratings/comments about their own bagless one. I think it cost me £37 and it works really well with my maine coon's long hair, it's lightweight and I love the no-need-for-bags cylinder! :cool: Easy to carry, to store and clean as well. It only has one suction power but it's strong enough for carpets.
    Is it this one?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    Saving pennies: one year, I asked for a year!!!8217;s subscription to Gardeners World for my birthday, and dh gave it to me. I had found a deal somewhere, so it was cheaper than normal. I have kept all the issues and read through them again every year, by month. I find that I usually have forgotten what was in them :) Now and then I buy or get given a newer issue, and I will replace the older one, and give it to a friend. She gives me her old interior decorating mags :)

One year I used our Christmas money to buy a National Trust membership. We had a fantastic time going visiting the different places that year. Average cost came out about £3.00 per visit for the both of us. (Holidays were in The U.K. that year).
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport