PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I quickly undid the leg elastic and re-did them properly, two rows of 3 step zig zag, very much more flexible. Tried and tested and proved to be very comfortable, been on a 5 mile bike ride and they passed. Just a couple of small pattern alterations to be made. The gusset needs to be a touch narrower and also longer up the back as I am sitting on the seam. The three cut out pairs, I cut the gusset narrower already, cannot make the gusset longer on those but will be sure to grade the three layers inside that seam, so it feels smooth

Yay, I`ll be going through t shirts at the end of summer and they will all be turned into knicks. What a fab saving. £8 a time and no new fabric needed :D

jalie pattern 2568, needs fabric with 70% stretch and kwik sew needs 25% stretch
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Love the tilly and the buttons ones. Not sure about making knickers, don't know why.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Every time I order a book from the states via amazon I am always pleasantly surprised at the condition. My latest, arrived today, is called fabric sewing guide by claire shaeffer. I only paid £3.58 and it is large and heavy, outdated but nice vintage photos. Cost less than a quality magazine

My FOE arrived today from an ebay seller, all in neat rolls. I was pleased at the quality and have started putting some on the set of 3 pairs of pretty panties. I`ll be making room for these in my KM`d pantie space

I was watching advanced decorative serging yesterday, crafty class and it is good but I was too comfortable and kept dozing off with the tablet on my lap. Was pretty safe as I was reclined in a recliner but much better for me to actually be doing something in the evenings. I`ll be watching the bits I missed this afternoon, after lunch
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Well I used my adjusted pattern to cut a new top, it could probably be improved on but in terms of fit, ease etc it is so much better. The irony is not lost on me, that this is a top that you're supposed to be able to make in two hours! In fact once it was cut out, it's a very simple construction.

I'm on a no-spend initiative, next month is looking a bit lean and I'm on holiday for a week which means no income, but when I have some spare cash I am going to get proper tracing paper. Lining wallpaper is not ideal for cutting out!

Done with that - my next project is going to be to try sewing a t-shirt. I live in t-shirts and jeans in summer, long-sleeved t-shirts, fleeces and jeans in winter except when I'm working, so it would be really good if I could make these. I've got a book with basic patterns in, and I need to use the overlocker again before I forget everything I learned on the course I did.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 July 2017 at 7:22AM
    Options
    Polly, now that is satisfying :)

I have been watching some j stern designs videos on youtube and she explains things so well and so clearly. The one about differential feed made me think about what I was doing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA-bf9J0r-9lbm70MEcq0Gw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6AWqRumxOc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd2JH_p-Lvc

Today I am going to work on a system to make my foot pedal higher. It is all about having a good comfortable sewing position and most of us have the arms and elbows too high, creating arm and back ache. I realised that two years ago and bought myself an office chair, one I could raise and which works for sewing, I sew at a normal height office desk and always have to stretch my leg down to reach the foot pedal, which slips and slides away. I am going to look at adapting something, to raise my pedal and then will stick velcro on it, maybe a strong plastic storage box and also velcro underneath my pedals.

I found a small folding table called a hideaway whan I was looking for ideas. Its genius and good to know that there is furniture for tiny spaces
    http://www.hornfurniture.co.uk/hide-away/

My new amazon fabric book is going to be an utter delight as a reference book. I skimmed at bits in bed last night, too big to read much but there is a depth of information in there about the different fabrics. I am going to re-arrange some book shelves as this one needs to be downstairs handy in my living room. I`ll get rid of some cookery books as priorities have changed
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello you lovely lot :)
    Just wondering if any of you could recommend somewhere to buy reasonably priced bag handles? I live in a tiny town so most things need to be purchased online but even fleabay is looking pricey (or maybe I'm just being unrealistic with prices)
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 July 2017 at 12:56PM
    Options
    I made good progress on making a foot raiser today. I have a lot of wood in my garage/workshop and am pretty confident with a saw. Found two old kitchen cupboard shelves in lovely condition, both too wide for under the kneehole but now sawn to the right size. Stuck together with wood glue and very amateur-like held with clamps and heavy weights, I had a lot of trouble working out how to use the clamps but remembered to put thin wood between the clamp and the glued shelves. Tomorrow they will be dry and next week I will sand the sawn end. Then will make pretty with fabric and padding and some non slip mat, so that the machine foot will not move frustratingly every which way. I also got to do a bit of tidying in there

No sewing as such today but am always up for a sort and tidy and will sort and label my machine feet into some trays with spacers

Elf, I have never bought any as I have never made bags but will be making simple bags in future, using my belt loop folder and petersham and/or my inkle weaving loom. Have you tried emress mills, they are always reliable
    https://www.empressmills.co.uk/bag-making-supplies/
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What sort of handles? Can you look in a charity shop and buy a cheap bag with the right sort of handles?
    If you want a leather strap a shoe repair shop might be able to help or believe it or nt something like a saddle maker as I know they often have off cuts
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks FLISSH, because I make to sell I'd rather they were new rather than used. At this point any kind would be good but I was looking at leather hand straps. I've managed to order 2 sets of wooden for the same price as ONE set of faux leather straps on fleabay.
    If it was for a bag for me I'd happily have a look at the CH - the thought had crossed my mind (in fact I might look anyway in the hope they have a new bag I could doctor)
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I was going to point you to u-handbag although I suspect they're not the cheapest, but I see the site is closing in October - it's been a very good resource for anyone interested in bag-making.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback