Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

The sewing thread - Page 58

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The sewing thread

edited 9 December 2016 at 10:17PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 132.8K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    silva`s tale is horrific. I keep thinking of bonfire night, fireworks and children`s costumes. They are all made of that dreadful stuff, the fabric that burns so hot and so quickly

I am loving my serger, it is so fast and neat. I had a normal day today ie a bit of this n a bit of that but still made two skirts. I managed to get a long skirt, a midi skirt and a tunic top out of that length of fabric and the skirts are finished. I love the fact that I don`t have to change the serger threads for these three items.

The skirts could not have been easier, I made the long skirt with pressed open seams as it has a small slit at the botton but the serger neatened all the edges first, hardly cutting any off. The hems are just serged before sewing (or serging) the last vertical seam and then hems are quickly just sewn up, in one layer. The waistband is the easiest, neatest and quickest ever. Trick is to find the right elastic, I use 1" woven. I cut off 5" less than my waist and do a small overlap to make a circle, then I just turn the serged waist down over the elastic, one layer less than a waistband, less bulk. Then I do 3 or 4 vertical rows just to keep the elastic from turning

I did a small tidy today and this evening, realised that I have 2 empty shelves, on a shelving unit my husband made, in my airing cupboard. 14 x 16" and I am stacking it with neat bundles of washed fabric. I am very happy about that, the bundles look neat and I no longer have to think about squashing the fabrics on shelves

I might just pin the tunic darts, fronts and back together now and have a quick try on with a view to making it tomorrow. It is a bit more complicated and has buttonholes
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to but in on the thread and I can't remember who asked the question about bag stuff but try Bobbin Girl's Hardware on FB.

I am moving at the moment but will hopefully be hanging out on these threads when I'm sorted and will introduce myself properly then.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • elf06elf06 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to but in on the thread and I can't remember who asked the question about bag stuff but try Bobbin Girl's Hardware on FB.

I am moving at the moment but will hopefully be hanging out on these threads when I'm sorted and will introduce myself properly then.

I was asking about bag handles - thanks :D
    I'll have a look now!!
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerfeet, not butting in at all - everybody is welcome on this thread and the more the merrier, hope you can come back soon.

I've found this post about interfacing - helpful in that it confirms there are lots of different types and it's hard to tell the difference! In future when I buy any I'm going to write on the edge the name/type.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    my ironing board and bed in the spare room look like a tailors shop this morning. I sat quietly tacking 6 darts last night, 4 were long thin waist darts. I quite enjoyed that, with the radio for company. Now sewn up, starting at the tips with just a no-length up and down a few times with the needle, leaving the ends, which I knotted and then cut. It gives a crisper end to the dart, better than reverse stitch. Then I used quite a lot of fine interfacing and a cloth and steam iron, no moving the iron from side to side. Dabbing the fabric onto the interfacing first, then cut it out, used the cloth and gave it a heavy longer press. All prep is now done and again I will pin at the sides to check for size. I may add more defined waist, depends how it looks later today
  • TraySelectTraySelect Forumite
    70 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've been reading this thread since it started and just wanted to say a big, big thank you to Kittie and all the contributors.
    It's been a revelation to me, rediscovering my [bordering obsessive] passion for sewing.
    I made pretty much all my clothes until I was in my 30s, when my time disappeared and shop clothes came down in price.
    I've learned so much from reading your contributions. I've made a great tote bag from remnants. Bought Swedish tracing paper [yes, it's absolutely brilliant, thank you Kittie], and read Haxell's [sp?] book [thank you, another inspiration on this thread].
    Have ordered every book on sewing from the public library [great ones available], so taking notes and buying copies of some for my reference library.
    Bought two lengths of Liberty Tana in the sale, so going to make a 'Sew Over It' pattern shirt dress x 2 for next year.
    I'm trying to figure out why sewing [in my case with my beloved F&R machine from the 70s!] is so gripping.
    I can buy shop clothes that fit, or can be altered without too much hassle, so sewing is not a needs-must just to get clothes that fit.
    It's more the creative construction of a piece that is 'made by me' I think.
    So - a BIG thank you to you all for getting me back into dressmaking.
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am laughing to myself here, trayselect. I love your post and recognise so much of myself in you. I don`t know why I do it either, except I love to handle beautiful fabrics and to turn a simple length into something I have created. It is nothing to do with money these days. A warm welcome to you.

It was quite stressful today as I my car has been in for service and mot and there is a potential really big problem looming, warranty runs out in 5 days and very luckily I took out an extended warranty three weeks ago. The staff at the dealership have been so very kind and helpful and my car is on watch and I was like a coiled spring when I returned home, so turned to sewing again this evening

My tunic length buttoned sleeveless top in a woven fabric. It is going back to real old fashioned sewing, sewing a bit and pressing and cutting the corners, trimming seams, interfacing facings, top stitching. I am loving the stability of a woven fabric with interfacing. Tip, one layer was single fabric, sewn to interfaced fabric. I could see the potential problem of the single layer gathering, so single layer goes on the bottom, on the feed dogs and you bend the fabric together as you sew. Result is neat and even sewing

Pressing could just be done with a steam iron but much better result is obtained by bashing the seam or edges after steaming. I use a piece of wood with a handle, I think it is called a clapper. You can visibly see the seams collapse flat

I am done for today, the top is looking very smart and is really quite heavy but still lots more to do
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH apart from the satisfaction of having a totally unique piece of clothing I find sewing very therapeutic. While I am cutting, sewing and pressing I can leave all the everyday stresses behind.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely agree with all of the above. I just love sewing, whether it's making clothes or pencil cases or cushion covers. There's so much more I want to learn, and there's something new to discover every day - eg Kittie's tip about the feed dogs! I too find the process really therapeutic.

Since this thread began, I've been doing much more sewing and really enjoyed it. I now have a list, not just of projects but techniques I want to learn. I'm off on my hols for a week and I know that when I get back I'll be itching to get the machine out and start the next thing!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • ArtytartyArtytarty Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just a little, but satisfying job for me today.
    I had a nice shortsleeve top in a silky jersey with a buttoned band at the the sleeve end, upper arm- too tight.ive never worn this top because of this, it was a charity shop buy.
    I snipped the band off and hemmed the material which had a few tucks in it. The sleeves are now nice a frilly, like a butterfly sleeve I think it's called, and very comfortable,total time taken, fifteen minutes including pressing.
    Yay!
    Norn Iron Club member 473