Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've been oping for 7 years now and only our kids know, my parents and best friend have been vaguely told we are trying to clear it early but that's all. I thought we could help others by telling them the difference it makes but where've I've tried the response has ranged from - I don't want to stop enjoying life as I may end up resenting my house, to the usual : well I wish I could afford to do that!

I've given up, thanks goodness for the mf board :T

Glad you had a successful trip to IKEA
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    I keep Schtum about our MF plans, people just do not get it so whatevers the point?

As newgirly says, thank goodness for this lovely little part of the internet :) x
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • amydoll83
    Options
    KK I've spent the best part of the night reading your journey so far (my 6 week old daughter woke for a feed hut then decided she didn't want to sleep anywhere other than on mummy), very inspiring.

My oh and I are attempting to save a deposit for a property at the moment (not so easy when maternity pay is so pants), and in an attempt to save/make money elsewhere I have signed up to opinion outpost, shopprize and maximiles.

Opinion outpost pays in points which you can exchange for cash (into paypal) or vouchers (amazon)it has a low pay out threshold (50points gets you £2.50 into paypal or a £2.50 amazon e-voucher).

Maximizes is surveys, and you get points for watching videos, online purchases (although cash back from quick is far better), you exchange the points for rewards (lots of different ones, but I only exchange for gift cards, since last September I've had 2 x £25 Sainsbury gift cards, and £25 b&q - I transfer the amounts of the gift cards into my savings).

Shopprize is an app on Android phones, you take photos of your shopping receipts and receive points, you also get points just for logging in every day. You need 10000 points for a £5 amazon e-voucher or you can enter the prize draws.

I'm currently saving all amazon e-vouchers to go towards my daughter's first Christmas and first birthday (6th January 2018). Again I transfer the amount of the e-voucher into my savings.

Good luck with the over payments and i look forward to reading how you continue to bring those interest payments down xx
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AmyDoll that sounds like you are making fab progress with those sites :)

eBay sales yesterday were just fab so an OP of £50 sent last night which we're both really pleased with.

Bought a work suit today from Sainsburys on their 25% off event- will try it on shortly and it'll do for the all day meeting next week with my suppliers big wigs and the big wigs from my place :)

Normal mortgage payment went out today and so I swiftly sent the additonal £89.80 to round it up to a nice £900!

About to sort out postage of all the eBay items so I can print the labels off at work/post at post office tomorrow if cheaper. No listings on this week as we're having a break from it, however we ve both been eying up other things to sell like the old damaged Fitbit of mine which they've sent me a replacement for and the old heart rate monitor strap....it's certainly addictive!

Off to wash the pots and then it's Baja fish wraps for tea tonight using up lots of the yummy veg from Aldi that I got on offer last week, that 50p old El Paso soft taco kit for 50p and some nice Basa fillets we got :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    NSD for the first time in a while! Busy old day at work and the lady is away for the night with work so have made dinner, washed up and now having a little Diet Coke break and reading some diaries :)

Rug for living room was delivered today and fits perfectly, it looks so cosy in our front room now. Other IKEA stuff is upstairs awaiting unpacking and building- very excited!!

eBay parcels all sent and remembered to use that discount code for 15% off this time yay!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Checked online banking and the £5 cashback has been received from TSB and the last of the EBay sale money £20.36 has been swept across as an OP just now.

This month is turning out pretty well! Prolific survey credit received for a survey from last night so that's creeping up nicely. Off to check Yougov and Onepoll now :D
  • new_mortgageeee
    Options
    Brilliant work on the Feb OPs Kittenkirst :beer: !!
    - Mortgage 1 started Oct 2016 [STRIKE]£120,000[/STRIKE] £99,600
    - Mortgage 2 started Feb 2019 [STRIKE]£30,000[/STRIKE] £27,800
    - Student loan started 2009 [STRIKE]£16,413[/STRIKE] £7,500
    + New house fund £40,095/£40,000
    + Emergency savings £5,170/£5,000
    + S&S ISA £600
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    A sneaky late payment on EBay means another £7.37 sent yesterday to the mortgage and 40p tilly tidy today!

Now at £306.81 for February :cheers:

Went out for dinner last night with some ex colleagues and had an ace evening, overspent on my budget by £11 naughtily so will have to cut back elsewhere for that!

Hoping to build all the IKEA flatpack tomorrow. Fight and start moving the beads and silver stuff in over the weekend.

:) am off to read some diary updates and check surveys!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You've smashed your Feb OP target, haven't you? And that EF is looking pretty healthy too.... it's all going well, don't worry about the dinner overspend!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Options
    Hi TheMadVix, yes this month has meant I've caught up and am a little incy bit ahead for where I should be for my years target :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback