PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• marmiterulesok
    Options
    DWhite wrote: »
    Well done KeepOn! Bread has been a challenge for me over the years, I can do 'normal' bread but when I've tried the more complicated stuff it's been very hit and miss and it's easy to get de motivated when it's such a labour of love!

Keep on with the bread, nothing beats the smell of freshly made bread filling the house, especially in Autumn

I used to make my own bread but use a BM now.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Baked cheese savouries today - my choice :rotfl: unfortunately I don’t think they will last long as they are soooo moreish :rotfl:
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Baked cheese savouries today - my choice :rotfl: unfortunately I don’t think they will last long as they are soooo moreish :rotfl:

Care to share the recipe? :)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Care to share the recipe? :)

Not a problem :D

125g SR Flour, 63g Margarine, 125g Grated Cheddar (I use extra mature), 1 egg Yolk, few ml water, pinch of salt

Rub fat into flour & salt until resembles breadcrumbs. Add grated cheese & mix well. Add egg yolk & water to make a stiff dough. Roll out & use pastry cutters (I have small square & small round) - made 28 - but you can be inventive with the shape - I have been known to use a knife to cut triangles :rotfl:. Place on floured baking sheets. Cook in a 180c preheated oven for minimum of 10 mins (mine actually took 18-20 mins :eek:) until golden. Leave on tray for a few mins then transfer to wire rack to cool. Then enjoy :D

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    Not a problem :D

125g SR Flour, 63g Margarine, 125g Grated Cheddar (I use extra mature), 1 egg Yolk, few ml water, pinch of salt

Rub fat into flour & salt until resembles breadcrumbs. Add grated cheese & mix well. Add egg yolk & water to make a stiff dough. Roll out & use pastry cutters (I have small square & small round) - made 28 - but you can be inventive with the shape - I have been known to use a knife to cut triangles :rotfl:. Place on floured baking sheets. Cook in a 180c preheated oven for minimum of 10 mins (mine actually took 18-20 mins :eek:) until golden. Leave on tray for a few mins then transfer to wire rack to cool. Then enjoy :D

MrsSD

Sounds good!
  • Olliebeak1951
    Options
    I've baked Becky Excell's 'Gluten-Free Choc Chunk Shortbread'.

Think I may have made the triangles a bit too big, but it WILL save having to eat two of them ;):p!!
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I made some soup.

So it needs home made bread, I mix mine in the bread maker on the pizza dough setting, really easy I put a sachet of yeast in the bottom, then I put the dough pan on the scales and weigh 500 g of bread flour, add a dessert spoon of honey and a teaspoon of salt. Then I add 300g of liquid, which will include a little oil or butter. Set the machine going and 45 mins later I shape the rolls and leave them to rise for about an hour. Then I bake them. Never had a bad batch.

I also made a pear and blackberry crumble and added some chopped pistachios to the crumble topping.
    And some granola bars for work elevenses (for husband)

I quite enjoy Sundays pottering about in the kitchen.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I purchased a heavy marble rolling pin this weekend. I shall now finally make use of the puff pastry stored in my freezer, rolling it in my freezing cold kitchen with my freezing cold rolling pin :)

The first thing I will try is Levi Roots recipe for sunny vegetable patties. Any other suggestions for puff pastry?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • marmiterulesok
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I purchased a heavy marble rolling pin this weekend. I shall now finally make use of the puff pastry stored in my freezer, rolling it in my freezing cold kitchen with my freezing cold rolling pin :)

The first thing I will try is Levi Roots recipe for sunny vegetable patties. Any other suggestions for puff pastry?

No, it's not sad to be so excited!Happy baking. :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DWhite wrote: »
    I actually really want to make a 'soreen' loaf. But I've not found a recipe for it, in my mind it will be quite tricky. So if anyone has ideas or suggestions I'd like that.

A nice and easy 'malt' loaf recipe

1 cup all bran
    1 cup milk (not skimmed)
    1 cup mixed dried fruit
    1 cup sugar (I use a dark brown but any will work)
    1 cup self raising flour

Mix the first 4 ingredients together (bran, milk, fruit & sugar) omitting the flour, cover and leave in the fridge overnight.

Add the flour and mix together, pour into a greased 2lb loaf tin and bake 190 (170 fan) for approx and hour.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback