PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What have you baked today?

I’m so sure there used to be a thread by this name or at least very similar. I did a search and it’s disappeared.
I’m not great at posting often but I do like to lurk and read the threads and draw inspiration from them.
So, I’m starting a new what have you baked today thread.

If in fact the old one has disappeared because it died then c’est la vie :o

Today due to the very autumnal feel of the weather, at least in my part of the country, I deciddd to do some baking.
I’ve made 2 x batches of scones. One was plain, sweet scones and the other has goji berries. My DP was given a large bag of dried goji berries and they’re not something we just eat so I’m finding uses for them.
Then for my FIL I made some shortbread with goji berries and some ‘flapjack’ with goji berries.
I say ‘flapjack’ as it is butterless and used banana and milk (maybe egg as well, I don’t remember now!) mixed with the oats. It’s a squishy, cakey consistency. I’m not much of a fan but the others are demolishing it.
We have extra thick double cream and extra special jam for the scones which I imagine won’t last long.
DD is away for guides camp so I’ll keep some hidden ready for her return tomorrow.

What have you baked today? :)

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I love baking and have fits and starts in making things, mostly depending on energy levels.

Recently I have made and demolished a batch of gluten free cheese biscuits and made gf cheese scones (most in the freezer), then I made a mincemeat and pear crumble tart for OH, two Winberry pies, a standard one for mum and a gf one which I will share with OH as this particular pastry is acceptable to him:)

Today's effort is 2 crustless quiches, the recipe is for a large one, but decided that 2 would suit us better.

Thank you for starting the thread, I hope that there is enough interest to keep it going. I will be back later in the week, need to produce cakes for charity coffee morning:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Today I baked a cake.
  • DWhite
    DWhite Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Welcome Maddie!
    I’m similar. Some weeks I find I spend lots of time baking and then I can have weeks if nothin. Mostly dependant on my work load, I’m on holiday at the moment so I actually have time.
    I’ll be moving into my own house soon and I’m hoping that having more space to store my baking bits again will mean I’ll pick it up again some more.
    Alexander - what kind of cake did you make??
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I made homemade pittas (Delia's recipe - so easy and delicious!) and some wholemeal bread.

A neighbour who we've never met also dropped round some cookies :D
  • DWhite
    MandM gift cookies are always welcome! Nice of your neighbour, that’s a good idea for me to do when I’ve moved into my new house.
    The Pitta bread sounds nice, I’ve had a go at wraps before but not pitta, if you have the recipe can you post it please?
  • A rich fruit cake made with wholemeal flour.It's a Mary Berry recipe.
  • I baked half a dozen large bread rolls and my weekly batch of thriftylesleys granola bars ... I have one for breakfast after i've run or cycled to work, but they are so delicious I often have half of one while im cooking tea lol
    got the recipe from one of the lovely posters on here ...
    https://www.thriftylesley.com/gorgeous-granary-breakfast-bars-24p
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • DWhite
    I’m currently looking into recipes that are healthy but not ‘clean’ eating if that makes sense? Need to be SW friendly and often clean eating doesn’t work with that. I have made low fat/sugar versions of things in the past. But I find the flour is still an issue in terms of calories so that’s something for me to look at
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I made this yesterday in a Pyrex casserole dish and we had it with custard. Easy and delicious https://susiesrecipes.wordpress.com/2013/09/23/jamie-olivers-spotted-blackberry-sponge/
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • Shropshirelass
    Shropshirelass Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 27 August 2018 at 1:33PM
    Yesterday I made a half-size strawberry jam rolypoly pudding which will last the two of us till Tuesday, some baking does get scrummier with age.
    OH has requested chicken pie tonight, will use remains of roast chicken from Saturday with button mushrooms to fill it out. Any left over scraps of pastry will become cheese straws.
    That blackberry sponge does sound delicious downshift.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback