Sky Original Bundle?

Options
I've just found out that my parents have been paying £23.50/month/full price for the Sky Original package for many years (which no longer seems to be available and was replaced with a cheaper Entertainment package for new customers some time ago)

Questions:

1. If we cancel/suggest leaving, what would be a decent retention deal be to accept?

2. My parents don't actually watch Sky, they only got it for some Indian channels. If they cancelled Sky, could someone tell me what Indian channels would still work and what they would lose access too?

3. Also would they still be able to record programmes via the Sky HD box they have?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    1. If you "suggest" leaving they'll offer you Entertainment for £20 (full price for a 12/18 month contract), if you actually schedule a cancellation (and perhaps follow through) then you could get it down to as low as £11.

2. The easy way to determine that is to pull out the viewing card and try their normally viewed channels. If they can still see them then you don't need a subscription.

3. No, they'll lose access to the recording facilities of the Sky box without a sub of some sort.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many thanks- I should have thought of 2! - I presume this would be the same as Freesat ?

One last question: If my parents decided to stay would their be any benefit or downsides in asking for a Sky Q box to replace their current HD one?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    One last question: If my parents decided to stay would their be any benefit or downsides in asking for a Sky Q box to replace their current HD one?

Its not just a case of a new box, a new LNB and cable rerun would be needed too. And they'd lose any recordings on the Sky+HD box.

plus it works in a different way to Sky+HD, but only you can ascertain whether your folks can adapt to this from what they have now.
  • gt94sss2
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Its not just a case of a new box, a new LNB and cable rerun would be needed too. And they'd lose any recordings on the Sky+HD box.

Cheers - i hadn't realised it wasn't just a replacement set top box. As such, it sounds as it's not worth it given my parents usage.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Many thanks- I should have thought of 2! - I presume this would be the same as Freesat ?

There are some differences between Freesat & Freesat from Sky with slightly more channels from the Sky option. The list of current Freesat channels are listed here in the August update:

https://storage.googleapis.com/freesat-content/filer_public%2F50%2F7a%2F507ab93f-c7a5-4516-866a-7b30e3c6ceb2%2Ff431_-_channels_guide_-_august_2018_v1.pdf

I can't see any of the Asian TV channels there (I used to actually work for ViewAsia :) ), just an Asian radio station.

Sky Q would be a waste for your parents as Sky will charge £12 a month extra on top of the base price so they can (or more likely don't) record more channels at the same time.
  • gt94sss2
    Options
    1. If you "suggest" leaving they'll offer you Entertainment for £20 (full price for a 12/18 month contract), if you actually schedule a cancellation (and perhaps follow through) then you could get it down to as low as £11.

Sky wouldn't switch us to the Entertainment package without a new contract and would not go below £15/month for a new 18 month contract - so we have scheduled a cancellation.

So far, they still haven't gone below £15, so unless that changes, I guess we go through with it..
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sky wouldn't switch us to the Entertainment package without a new contract and would not go below £15/month for a new 18 month contract - so we have scheduled a cancellation.

So far, they still haven't gone below £15, so unless that changes, I guess we go through with it..

Problem with discounts is you're not guaranteed to get anything. Sometimes you may have to let it disconnect and then "come back to Sky" a few weeks later.
  • bubblegun
    bubblegun Posts: 210 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2018 at 3:00AM
    Options
    I've just found out that my parents have been paying £23.50/month/full price for the Sky Original package for many years (which no longer seems to be available and was replaced with a cheaper Entertainment package for new customers some time ago)

Most people have only been on this price since April 2018, some since Feb 2017 before that it was likely less. Sky want you to go into a contract on low price bundles so they know what money they can spend.

The Entertainment Bundle was only introduced for existing customers in February.

Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Problem with discounts is you're not guaranteed to get anything. Sometimes you may have to let it disconnect and then "come back to Sky" a few weeks later.

The lowest "winback" deal is currently £11 per month for the new Entertainment package AFAIK so if you'd accept that then call them it's the sales team for people in their notice period.

You are unlikely to get Sky Q with this deal. It's for people who are happy to stay with existing equipment.

There will be a 12 month contract and a £10 admin charge on the first bill.
  • gt94sss2
    Options
    bubblegun wrote: »
    The lowest "winback" deal is currently £11 per month for the new Entertainment package AFAIK so if you'd accept that then call them it's the sales team for people in their notice period.

Would you know what the telephone number for this team is?

We changed our contact details on our account a few weeks ago but Sky called the old telephone number on the account this week for some reason rather than the new one trying to reach me.

My brother who had the phone wasn't best pleased given he's on holiday overseas and suffered roaming charges as a result!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Would you know what the telephone number for this team is?

I think you just dial the normal number and say "winback" when they ask for the reason for the call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure