AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    * Cover applies to you and your legal spouse or civil partner.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    DarrenBull wrote: »
    Spouse cover is a SHAM!

We recently joined as were enticed by the 'free spouse cover' however we are now having an awful time trying to get AutoAid to deliver their promises.

My partner and I have lived together for 32 years, have a grown up son and have lived in our current house for 17 years.

Having provided electoral role register and TV license documents they still refuse to provide the cover promised.

It's not worth the aggravation of dealing with AutoAid - I'd strongly suggest you avoid.
    Not married then?
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    edited 13 February 2018 at 7:07PM
    Options
    I've just had this by email from Autoaid:

"Yes I can confirm Common Law partners are now permitted to be added to a Autoaid policy free of charge. ERS are currently in the process of updating the policy booklet.

If you do wish to add a Common Law partner you will be required to send us proof of the relationship.

ERS ( the insurer) will accept one of the following:

shared ownership of residential property
    joint leases or rental agreements
    bills for shared utility accounts, such as:
    gas
    electricity
    telephone
    joint utility accounts
    "
  • Alenka81
    Options
    Not the best experience. Just because I'm not married and we don't have joint bank accounts/ utilities etc., my partner couldn't be added onto the policy. Beware, you have to have items addressed to both of you, individual letters are no good. Shame really, again being penalised for what??! Slightly shocked... Not have to go elsewhere and pay more. ALSO - staff at call centre really unprofessional...
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alenka81 wrote: »
    Not the best experience. Just because I'm not married and we don't have joint bank accounts/ utilities etc., my partner couldn't be added onto the policy. Beware, you have to have items addressed to both of you, individual letters are no good. Shame really, again being penalised for what??...

Well, it is reasonable for a company to put in place protections against people who aren't 'partners' from getting together and claiming discounted cover.

People take a decision to either get married or not and in doing so determine whether they qualify for these deals. There are much bigger problems to worry about if you aren't married - like what happens if you die - but in the end you take your decisions and have to put up the results of those decisions.

I don't see that you are being penalised just because a company takes reasonable measures to make sure that it isn't being scammed.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    being penalised for what??

Not being prepared to get your partnership officially recognised?
    Why do you expect them to recognise it?
  • MTW_cheshire
    Options
    I've been with auto aid for a year (never had to call them out) and have just had renewal quote. It's gone up by less than a £1 so will renew however, it seems to be saying that if I don't renew I'll have to pay £15 +IPT and a further £15 admin charge. When you go on to the site there's only a renew button not one to cancel. Just thinking ahead as quite happy for this year. Am I reading it right?
  • Morph4610
    Morph4610 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi MTW, I had the similar query around renewal time. It seems that if you renew and pay before the policy starts and then cancel before it starts they will charge a £15 admin fee; then if you renew and then cancel after the policy has begun then they charge a £15 admin fee plus a charge from the insurance company (Autoaid is a broker). Guess it's the way of the world..
  • Teb_Beihr
    Options
    I am also very annoyed by AutoAid's requirements as to "proof" of common law spouse. (Even proof of legal spouse/partner to be honest - their requirements are just OTT and stupid.) It isn't that they won't offer to non-legalised relationships (or only, as now, to a select few on the basis of having joint finances) - well, actually that does seem pretty discriminatory in fact, as regards car breakdown insurance - but it's the demonstration of their huge lack of understanding of legal and financial aspects of relationships which gets me.
    And it doesn't protect them in the slightest from scammers or fraud or whatever, as they and others claim; quite the opposite actually.

A huge number of couples, both married/civil partnered and 'common law' do not own any joint property, do not have joint financial arrangements or accounts, do not lease or rent anything together. Household bills, as far as I am aware, are only ever in 1 name, which is usually the person who owns the house which they live in (if it is not jointly owned). Council Tax must be in 1 person's name only.

To ask for proof of "partnership" as I was asked, is just stupid. I said that I could send a photograph showing we'd been together for over 25 years, but according to them that isn't proof. I can prove that my partner lives at the same address as me, but apparently that isn't enough either. We must have joint assets according to them.
    I pointed out that we are not in business together as per the Partnership Act 1890; they didn't understand that.
    I pointed out that in law there is no such thing as 'Common Law Spouse'. They didn't get that. (So how on earth can you prove something which doesn't exist?)

What on earth has that got to do with car breakdown insurance???!!!! (It's a singly-owned car by the way, too - and the V5 can only be in 1 name as well.)

Fundamentally, however, someone with the same surname, living at the same address, is quite possibly your parent, child, sibling or other relative. But according to their required 'proof', they will qualify (or, rather, you can pretend that they do) as your common law spouse, whilst your real 'partner', with a different surname, does not.
    Similarly, a friend or relative or just co-occupier with a different surname but with whom you happen to own or rent the house which you live in, and/or with whom you have a joint bank account, will also qualify easily and you can produce the appropriate documentary evidence of this.
    Therefore, discrimination against and exclusion of the real 'common law spouse' in many cases, false inclusion (if people want to play the game) to an awful lot of people who have no relationship of or like marriage at all. Even the benfits people wouldn't be that stupid...

Ultimately, it's AutoAid's business, and their decision as to who they want to discriminate against (although I'm starting to think that they may be on dodgy ground here, but can't really be bothered to check). It's my business if on principle I'm prepared to renew with them again after this attitude.

Martin - can't you make them see sense?
  • Dausalis1
    Options
    NOT as comprehensive as others - vehicle got stuck in gravel at end of drive. Their call centre said it wasn't covered despite having home cover and accident recovery. They say that they didn't define this as an accident as there was no mechanical or electrical damage to vehicle. Yet when asked if I had driven the front wheel into a ditch with or without damage I would have been covered ! Customer service operator very patronising and when I spoke to customer service manager comparing with Green Flag she told me you get what you pay for ! . WONT be renewing with Auto Aid - not "comprehensive" in the real sense.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback