AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• wortluck
    Options
    Have been with AutoAid for about 10 years now and have called them out about six times. Was a bit worried once when my clutch pedal broke twice in consecutive days due to a faulty garage repair. Despite the policy of no recovery for the same problem, I explained what had happened and they recovered me without hesitation. I have also been recovered three times on a classic motorcycle and, when the recovery agent broke a switch loading the bike, they sent me a cheque to cover the damage as well. Be aware that, last time I looked, they only recover motorcycles over 150cc (I think). Finally, when my car was recovered back home, they even offered to collect the car the following day and deliver it to a local garage! Can't fault these guys for service and price - absolute bargain.:beer:
  • HelenH1961
    Options
    I’ve been Auto Aid for years and even called them out once and was very happy with them. However I didn’t need a policy for the last year or so so let it lapse. I have now just phoned to take out a new policy and in the rushed through t&c’s I heard them say it doesn’t cover your car if you use it for business! I have used my car for business for years, indeed I was when I called them out last time. So I haven’t taken out the new policy but wondering how they know if it’s used for business if you don’t tell them? I’m not looking for cover which does cover for business use, any ideas?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    HelenH1961 wrote: »
    ... I haven’t taken out the new policy but wondering how they know if it’s used for business if you don’t tell them? I’m not looking for cover which does cover for business use, any ideas?
    If their ts + cs say no business use is covered, then there's not a lot you can do about it.

Paying for your own rescue could be expensive, especially if you break down on a motorway, so maybe rethink your decision.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2017 at 1:47PM
    Options
    HelenH1961 wrote: »
    I’ve been Auto Aid for years and even called them out once and was very happy with them. However I didn’t need a policy for the last year or so so let it lapse. I have now just phoned to take out a new policy and in the rushed through t&c’s I heard them say it doesn’t cover your car if you use it for business! I have used my car for business for years, indeed I was when I called them out last time. So I haven’t taken out the new policy but wondering how they know if it’s used for business if you don’t tell them? I’m not looking for cover which does cover for business use, any ideas?

"Qualifying vehicles Vehicles that qualify for this policy are private cars and motorcycles. Vans and pick-ups can be covered if they do not exceed 3.5tonnes gross vehicle weight. Motorised caravans can be covered if they do not exceed 3.5tonnes gross vehicle weight.

Excluded vehicles are minibuses, left-hand drive American cars, vehicles used as taxis for private or public hire and commercial vehicles or vans used for business use."

Which suggests private cars used for business are covered.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think that I'd take a common sense view of business use. If you are clearly using the vehicle for a business - i.e. taxi or delivery driver, then that is one thing. If you just using the car to drive to your job or between sites and to occasional meetings then I wouldn't worry.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • Cameron
    Cameron Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First experience 3 years ago wife seized engine on motorway - within the hour transported home, all organised and paid for by Autoaid.

Second experience last week - some Muppet forgot to tighten the oil plug after a service (wont tell you who, through embarrassment :( ) Autoaid organised a mechanic, tuned up within the hour tightened and replace oil (ok I had to purchase the oil - but that is what I would expect - least I know the correct oil is in and doesnt need servicing until next year).

Renewal through today, itching to pay it.
    Advice is cheap! Hence their is a lot of it about!
    Try not to be a victim!
  • mike_paterson
    Options
    I was using my wifes car and had a problem when the battery went flat. The service was just as gopod as AA or RAC but at a fraction of the cost.

One word of warning that is applicable for all recovery firms. I made the stupid mistake of filling the wife's car up with petrol instead of diesel. I phoned Auto Aid who quoted a price of about £150. I was able to phone round and get it pumped out for abot £100 elsewhere.
    To infinity and beyond!
  • TanyaG
    TanyaG Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone any experience of using AutoAid services on any of the islands off the UK mainland? The website says only the UK mainland is covered but the helpdesk says all the UK, including all islands, is covered. However I'm not 100% convinced as the Helpdesk folk didn't know where Orkney or the Hebrides are!
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If they give you the answer you like but it's contradicted by the ts and cs then don't buy a policy until they confirm the conversation back to you in writing
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    does the MSE 15 month for 12 offer apply to existing policy holders? I clicked on renew after following the MSE link but it wouldn't let me contimue online. If you try to apply normally it asks for the date you want the cover to start but there's a note to it that says the policy will start a soon as payment is received???
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback