Edf energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    murph_avfc wrote: »
    Thanks, that makes sense.

So apparently a nationwide account is my active bank account.

Which is why they attempted to take a further £63 DD from my Barclays bank account.

I cancelled the DD in plenty of time, I don't want anymore money going either to or from EDF until we get the issue resolved, else it will just continue to get more complicated!

:(

Either EDF have a very good crystal ball (if so, perhaps they could give me the lottery numbers for this weekend? :D), or you gave EDF your Barclays Bank details ;)

You can confirm the bank account from which EDF will attempt to collect payment using the EDF Online MyAccount page :)
  • murph_avfc
    murph_avfc Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2013 at 10:44AM
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    Either EDF have a very good crystal ball (if so, perhaps they could give me the lottery numbers for this weekend? :D), or you gave EDF your Barclays Bank details ;)

You can confirm the bank account from which EDF will attempt to collect payment using the EDF Online MyAccount page :)

That is fine, and fortunately as a sarcastic person myself I appreciate the humour :D

It does not explain why EDF Energy sent me £486 to my Nationwide account. Unless of course, it's a good will gesture - in which case if they could kindly confirm this, so I could get off down the pub to crack open the Moet. :beer:

Edit: Pub trip as it is long past Midday in India.

Edit 2: I can't even submit my meter readings now, it's trying to tell me to switch the two electricity readings (on an E7 meter) around. Nice try EDF, but I don't think even your estimates are out by 9,000 units.
  • ceefercat
    ceefercat Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2013 at 10:22PM
    Options
    This is going to be a long post so apologies in advance.

Last August I had a call from uSwitch and I was recommended EDF Energy's Blue + Price promise September 2013,I think I must have filled in an online survey (I have MS which may become more relevant further on). It was at the time when British Gas announced huge profits and the man said he'd like a pound for everyone who had expressed anger and dismay about that - looking back, uSwitch must have made quite a lot in commission around that time :mad: So I gave all my details, especially including the amounts of my monthly direct debits and thought I had done the right thing to save myself some money.

But when I saw my first bill, I realised that I was worse off because British Gas didn't have a standing charge (although I see they do now) and my MS brain didn't think to ask the uSwitch man if EDF had a standing charge.I had used no gas for 6 months so that bill had been £0. So straight away,I was over £131 worse off a year due to just the standing charge.. When I saw my bank statement I saw that EDF had only taken £34 instead of £64 so I rang to query this and I was told that nothing could be done about it till my next review in 6 months. I took it upon myself to make payments of the extra £30 (although,looking back on my EDF statements,I did miss one and I could put that down to being unwell with MS), so that I wouldn't be landed with a huge bill at the end of that 6 months. I read my meters last month and the figures weren't too bad but I was shocked to see that, because my account showed a debit of £21, they wanted to put my direct debit up to £119 from 6th May. I had an online chat with someone because the phone line was closed and I couldn't get into my account. I also mentioned my feelings about the £119. During that chat, I had to register online again with EDF and eventually I was given the number for the direct debit department. I rang them today to query the £119 on the 6th May and the woman told me that my account is now in credit because they took the £119 yesterday. It just didn't occur to me today to say "but my bill shows you'll take it on or after Monday's date". I already told them it had screwed up my bank account but I thought I must have made a mistake about the date (MS brain again, always thinking I must have got things wrong) when I first rang this morning.

I've explained till I'm blue in the face that I have my thermostat set at 16C because I'm comfortable with that and that obviously means that I shall only use gas for hot water until the winter but they wouldn't back down. And that reminds me that, each time I've submitted my gas meter reading, their system hasn't allowed me to do so because it thinks the reading is wrong because it's lower than their system thinks it should be. I said that I would find another supplier - the trouble with that is that there doesn't seem to be anyone cheaper so I've kind of shot myself in the foot there :o

I also pointed out today that if EDF had taken the £64 payment I specified at the start, my account would have been in credit. So I shall phone again tomorrow and see what they say about taking it too early.

Has anyone any advice please?
    Take nothing but pictures, kill nothing but time, leave nothing but footprints to show you came by :smileyhea

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    ceefercat wrote: »
    This is going to be a long post so apologies in advance.

Last August I had a call from uSwitch and I was recommended EDF Energy's Blue + Price promise September 2013,I think I must have filled in an online survey (I have MS which may become more relevant further on). It was at the time when British Gas announced huge profits and the man said he'd like a pound for everyone who had expressed anger and dismay about that - looking back, uSwitch must have made quite a lot in commission around that time :mad: So I gave all my details, especially including the amounts of my monthly direct debits and thought I had done the right thing to save myself some money.

But when I saw my first bill, I realised that I was worse off because British Gas didn't have a standing charge (although I see they do now) and my MS brain didn't think to ask the uSwitch man if EDF had a standing charge.I had used no gas for 6 months so that bill had been £0. So straight away,I was over £131 worse off a year due to just the standing charge.. When I saw my bank statement I saw that EDF had only taken £34 instead of £64 so I rang to query this and I was told that nothing could be done about it till my next review in 6 months. I took it upon myself to make payments of the extra £30 (although,looking back on my EDF statements,I did miss one and I could put that down to being unwell with MS), so that I wouldn't be landed with a huge bill at the end of that 6 months. I read my meters last month and the figures weren't too bad but I was shocked to see that, because my account showed a debit of £21, they wanted to put my direct debit up to £119 from 6th May. I had an online chat with someone because the phone line was closed and I couldn't get into my account. I also mentioned my feelings about the £119. During that chat, I had to register online again with EDF and eventually I was given the number for the direct debit department. I rang them today to query the £119 on the 6th May and the woman told me that my account is now in credit because they took the £119 yesterday. It just didn't occur to me today to say "but my bill shows you'll take it on or after Monday's date". I already told them it had screwed up my bank account but I thought I must have made a mistake about the date (MS brain again, always thinking I must have got things wrong) when I first rang this morning.

I've explained till I'm blue in the face that I have my thermostat set at 16C because I'm comfortable with that and that obviously means that I shall only use gas for hot water until the winter but they wouldn't back down. And that reminds me that, each time I've submitted my gas meter reading, their system hasn't allowed me to do so because it thinks the reading is wrong because it's lower than their system thinks it should be. I said that I would find another supplier - the trouble with that is that there doesn't seem to be anyone cheaper so I've kind of shot myself in the foot there :o

I also pointed out today that if EDF had taken the £64 payment I specified at the start, my account would have been in credit. So I shall phone again tomorrow and see what they say about taking it too early.

Has anyone any advice please?

If you have the ability to post on MSE, you have the ability to input your consumption data into one or more comparison sites.
    If you decide to switch energy supplier because someone calls you and ask you to switch, that's up to you.

The rules of the Direct Debit scheme state you must be given advance notice of the amount and date any DD collection is to be made.
    Failure to do this correctly will allow the payer to make a valid claim under the terms of the DD guarantee. Such claims should be made direct to your bank who will be obligated to make an immediate refund.
  • murph_avfc
    Options
    Well - My EDF balance is now increased to owing them a further £400+ due to the double refund that they said was impossible!

My active bank account has now switched back to Barclays conveniently!
  • ceefercat
    ceefercat Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2013 at 12:57PM
    Options
    Wywth wrote: »
    If you have the ability to post on MSE, you have the ability to input your consumption data into one or more comparison sites.
    If you decide to switch energy supplier because someone calls you and ask you to switch, that's up to you.

In an ideal world everyone could live without something like MS and have their wits about them 24/7 and yes, I will use it as an excuse because it's true. Hindsight is a wonderful things, smugness not so much. But this isn't an ideal world and just because I can do one thing, it doesn't automatically qualify or enable me to do another, but you're entitled to your thoughts, as am I. There are times when my mind functions OK but these aren't the norm for me and can't be conjured up at will - when someone asks me a question, the answer doesn't necessarily spring straight to mind although it may dawn on me some time later. But that doesn't help me at the earlier time, does it? I had already inputted my information on a comparison site - I believe that's what uSwitch is - so please don't patronise me just because I omitted that (MS brain not at work). One enters one's information, including phone number, then uSwitch swings into action, isn't that how a comparison site works? Although if one uses any other site, it's someone from the company one has chosen who calls.

This morning I've spoken to a very nice lady at EDF who has 1) explained that they apply for a DD 3 days before its due date - in this case it was Wednesday because of the bank holiday on Monday - and 2) given me her direct dial number to ring her on Tuesday so that she can arrange a refund of the £55 (the overpayment) and I am also to ring her in June with a meter reading so she can set the DD correctly. Even she agreed that I shall be using hardly any gas over the summer and my autumn/winter consumption is very low.
    Take nothing but pictures, kill nothing but time, leave nothing but footprints to show you came by :smileyhea

• lucmand
    lucmand Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    So I was previously with NPower (5 years and no problems) for dual fuel plus we received a discount yearly of £100. We paid £77 per month DD.

I always compare the market each yr to make sure we get a good deal so we switched to EDF Blue Price Promise using both DD figures and actual usage. Now found that our dual fuel usage is underestimated and we now owe £370:eek: I have never owed an Energy supplier (over last 20 yrs) in fact normally I have received the odd credit. I have made a formal complaint EDF are investigating and we will pay the £370 but we will be leaving EDF a.s.a.p.

It is my fault I knew they had terrible customer service but thought Blue Price was a good deal. Checking all the 'mummy forums' there are allot of families who are facing huge bills because EDF is either underestimating usage or messing up their bills. I am so upset because £370 is allot of money I could have used to pay for my young son's lessons, hobbies etc.

Lesson learnt never use EDF :mad:
  • murph_avfc
    edited 17 May 2013 at 7:51AM
    Options
    murph_avfc wrote: »
    Well - My EDF balance is now increased to owing them a further £400+ due to the double refund that they said was impossible!

My active bank account has now switched back to Barclays conveniently!

So - I cancelled the DD to stop money going backwards and forwards until this got sorted after they attempted to take the Direct Debit 2 weeks before they were supposed to (and once more seemingly after I cancelled the DD) I advised EDF of this and the CSA agreed with my viewpoint, especially given I had mentioned Depression issues and we shouldn't be making this situation anymore complex.

So I've had a new bill calculated with all this money in and money out.

I have £311 credit (Cancelled your charges)
    Goodwill Payment £486.96.

Then 3 x £486.96 CHARGE "Refund" "Bill Adjustment" "Payment Adjustment.

Leaving me at £661.99.

They've then decided I haven't paid them seemingly at all since July 2012, and that I now owe them £1778.06. Fortunately I still have the money they somehow managed to send to my OLD bank account (a refund for the money they took from my NEW account) minus what was lost due to having an overdraft on it, so that should take us back down to the £1,300 mark!

Written complaint now sent, will be following up with a phonecall later on to try and work out what the hell is going on.

Utter madness - I seem to be in a never ending cycle.

One question to ask you all however as I'm thinking of making sure I pay for my ongoing usage - do I:

1. Switch immediately, and deal with EDF as a seperate issue - Negative I see, EDF not being quite so willing to co-operate due to no longer being a customer.

2. Stick with EDF until the matter is resolved - Negative I see, possibly further complicating the matter.
  • murph_avfc
    Options
    Okay update time - had a call back.

The money lost in overdraft land is not being reclaimed by EDF as a "goodwill gesture." I did suggest that this was not going to compensate for the stress it has caused me, but was politely informed that the DD gaurentee states in theory I should be paying the whole lot back, and that £130 is a fairly good "goodwill gesture."

Seems the other charges (subject to another check of my own) balance out, so I do owe EDF approx. £1,400 for all usage up to this point (though will go down slightly as they've over-estimated my electricity usage). Have offered a 24-month repayment plan, that will stay in place even if I switch energy supplier.

The following lessons have been learnt today by me:

1. When someone says they're going to call you back 9/10 times they won't.

2. EDF aren't the best at customer service per se, but a couple of individuals have been great.

3. Even though both meters are in a dark damp cellar - take regular readings!

4. I'm paying £40 to offset something? To heck with that!

Still a bit disappointed with the way I've been treated, but then again I did say all I wanted was a resolution!
  • springc
    Options
    I am on the verge of switching from EDF after a year of being on their Blue Price Promise dual fuel tariff.

Their billing system in appalling, submitting meter readings online never seems to work properly and they don't send engineers to take them unless you request them. Their customer service via email give different answers to those on the telephone, I don't know if they're based elsewhere but it's not exactly helpful either way!

My account was over £600 in credit due to an error on their part from when I originally switched, and even though they've finally adjusted the settings a year later - because, as the CS Adviser put it, he'd bothered to read all the information when it looked like nobody else had - it's still over £200 in credit now!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback