Is a non direct flight worth it

Options
Morning all!

I am off to Philadelphia in November. I am just looking at flights and I can see one that stops in Iceland before going to Philly - it's £120 cheaper than a direct flight!

I don't know if that £120 is worth losing the 4 hours in Philly or not.

Plus I've never been to Iceland so I could always get a new fridge magnet :D

Would you pay extra for the direct flight or not?
ENFP - Assertive
Officially in a clique of idiots
Smoke me a kipper; I'll be back for breakfast

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    :jNo.
    Stopping over in Iceland, you might be lucky and see the Northern Lights too! :)

Which airline it is might be a factor.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Maybe... it would depend on other factors
    Have you tried pricing flights from Dublin?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would but lots wouldn't.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • colinw
    colinw Posts: 59,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tricky one that...but that is not a bad saving, I flew back from Sydney via Melbourne in April to save a few hundred quid, I usually look at when I arrive as well though, especially if I am picking up a car, you might get some nice views of Iceland though on the way in and out if it is daytime....
    You might bump into a handsome Viking in the airport as well!
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried pricing flights from Dublin?

The other advantage of Dublin, it that you clear US customs in Dublin plus taxes are usually lower
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is not just the added time of travelling, it depends on the airline being offered. Just read the reviews on WOW, for example here (http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/wow-air/) and decide whether it is worth it or not. Icelandair is a different animal altogether, it may also depend on how long you are travelling for? If it's a long weekend, I would pay extra to get there as quickly as possible, if it was for two weeks, I might take a different view
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 June 2018 at 11:48AM
    Options
    Travelling with my family? No. We would just want to get there as quick as possible.

Travelling on my own? Yes. In fact I would make Iceland a stopover if I could for a day or two.

I did find in the past that choosing a more provincial airport in the US could make great savings, and sometimes be quicker. When flying to Cincinnati for egg-sample, it was just as near for me to fly into Dayton, but cheaper, quicker, and a less busy airport.

It might be worth looking at a non-direct flight say to Newark and then an internal flight from there to see if that will save anything.

As said, the airline used makes a big difference sometimes, and also which airports you use can make for a more or less harassing layover.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, Flick, Philadelphia is lovely! And possibly the best place if you want to shop as neither clothes nor shoes are taxed. The Quakers did not believe in taxing essentials.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Iceland's a great place for a short stopover now - airport much improved but they Icelandair tend to encourage an overnight stop to allow you to do Reykjavik or Lagoon. 4hrs is likely to leave you in the airport although I believe you can clear US immigration whilst there.

I've never had an issue with Icelandair flights and know plenty who've travelled to US/Canada via this route in past couple of years
  • Wizard_of_Id
    Wizard_of_Id Posts: 5,512 Forumite
    Options
    I would always go for the cheapest option and use the money saved to get extra legroom :)

As for the 4 hours lost at destination, for me it really depends on arrival time, if the stopover is going to get you there after 5pm local time then that doesn't leave you much room to get your hirecar and to the hotel and get a meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure