Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• tiggerkid
    tiggerkid Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on the cat, ours would just sit there and watch it.

Haha, reminds me of my aunt's cat. She got him precisely for this issue of dealing with mice in her cellar. The cat couldn't care less :D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    tiggerkid wrote: »
    Haha, reminds me of my aunt's cat. She got him precisely for this issue of dealing with mice in her cellar. The cat couldn't care less :D
    By all accounts the cat at #10 is pretty useless too!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    By all accounts the cat at #10 is pretty useless too!
    Cats tend to take after their owners. Enough said....
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    So two months ago the missus's "foot slipped off the pedal and the car rolled into the garage door" breaking the door and the frame.

About a week ago in the garage we noticed there was a hole in the plastic tub of bird suet fat balls and most of the balls had been eaten by something, and the open bag of bark chippings had had it's contents scattered around it.

Thought maybe something had got in so we poked the bag a few times and scooped it back it, and taped the hole on the plastic tub and hoped that was it. Checked it a few days later and the hole is back and the chippings are back out.

Bought 2 mouse traps and set them overnight and they had both caught a small grey mice. After reading that there is generally more than we think I decided to buy 2 more traps and set them. We caught another 2 last night.

I've heard that we just keep repeating it until we don't catch anymore for 5 days/a week, but then do we remove all the traps or just keep a few out in case some more manage to get in?
  • David.973
    Options
    So, it wasn’t rodents, it was a lack of sleep, a lot of rubbish rustling (my bad), and paranoia adding two and two but getting five.
    Thanks guys all the same!
  • justaquestion
    Options
    Hi there,

I have had a few leaks in ceiling under bathroom and have been advised that it more than likely a mouse or mice that is causing it, he or they have just gnawed their way through the plastic pipe and connectors causing a few leaks and a great deal of trouble and expense plumbing replacing plasterboard etc

I have put a few mouse traps up there with peanut butter as bait some poison and also some of that sticky gummy stuff to trap them.

Other than this, and hoping there is no more leaks, what else can I do, would pest control have any other things that might help?

Thanks
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd try to find out how they are getting in and stop their routes into the building.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I say rats but first off i don't actually know what it is, i'm just guessing and secondly i *think* there's only one of whatever it is.

Last year we heard rustling & knocking behind the walls in our (1930s) semi. The noise got about, upstairs, downstairs. I heard a fair racket under the bath so went inspecting. I saw nothing but in the end i was able to get at a couple of access points (under the floorboards) - one was under the bath where some of the floorboarding had been removed and another was in the back bedroom under the boiler where there was no carpet and i could lift the board. This was actually in a direct line/run through with the bath location.

The bait i used was that 'The Big Cheese' stuff and i put a couple of snap-traps down at both locations.

I took another look some time later and noted the bait had been moved under the bath but untouched under the boiler.

In the end the noise disappeared ... for months, a good few months. We thought it'd gone totally.

Then in recent weeks we start hearing the scratching etc again. To me it sounds quite large, larger than what i'd expect a small mouse to sound like. It was above the ceiling in the box bedroom sounding like it was turning over and flopping against the ceiling floor as i would hear thud-thud.
    Last night it was downstairs and sounded so loud that it sounded like it was right up against the other side of the skirting so that you could almost touch it. I don't know what it was doing but it sounded like it was pulling/scratching/biting through something or maybe my imagination on what it's doing is running away, who knows. The skirting wasn't moving as though it was pushing against it but it sounded that bloody close. I'd hit the skirting pretty hard to see if it'd scurry off but it didn't phase it.

Under our living room floor wont help as there's plenty of water there (problem that we can't remove, only manage). It's a suspended timber floor.

The diner which is where this noise was coming from last night is solid concrete floor and the wall it was behind is actually an extension that was built in 2000 which is the one part of that side of the house that isn't connected to next door.
    Speaking of next door - we've asked and they claim to have not heard anything that may be a mouse/rat.

I've looked around the house and can't see any access points but obviously there is one. There's the air bricks but i imagine the holes must surely be too small. Aside from that on the lower level there'll be drains but again i'd have expected the access to those to be too small.

Obviously we want rid of the damn thing. Now if it gnaws through some electrical wiring that might do it but then that'd present its own problem. At a bit of a loss as to what to try.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    It could be a number of things: a mouse, bird, rat, glis glis (if you're in a certain part of the U.K.). You'd be amazed at how small the opening needs to be for a mouse to get in, a hole the diameter of a pencil is enough, and sounds will be amplified in voids and things so it could very well be a mouse that's making all that noise.
  • ChrisL1968
    Options
    We've had rats under the floorboards, in cavity walls and in the loft over the last 3-4 years. I've killed probably 10-12 of them in groups of 3-4 with traps in the loft, then it goes quiet for a few months and then they come back. They are not getting into the house itself and not accessing food anywhere as far as I can tell. Its the end terrace of a row of 4 ex-council house. I've checked all around our house for possible entry points, but there is only 1 room with floorboard space and the rest are concrete floors. I really want to find out how they are getting in to try an block it as this seems to be the only long term solution. Would a pest control company be able to help with that or are they just going to put down traps? Also I'm fairly certain the rats are coming from somewhere on the neighbours property as the family there neglect it and the garden is 8ft high weeds and there brickwork/drains are in a right state. Do I have any recourse to get them to sort it out?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback