Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If its dead ( caught in a trap ) ask a neighbor to release the corpse into a bag or cardboard box and dump it in the local recycling site.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • lalalandgirl
    Options
    Hey all!

I moved into a first floor flat a couple of months ago. So far, I’ve dealt with a moth infestation that took about a month to get rid of. Not fun.

Now.. I have another concern. Last weekend, I was awakened around 5:40am by extremely loud squeaking. It was so loud, it felt like it was coming from inside my home, in my bedroom itself. But I can’t be totally sure as it could also be birds outside my window. But either way - id never heard that kinda soundbefore. I checked the tell tale signs for mice online - I’ve not seen any droppings, heard no scratching, no damage to food etc. Just that one incident of loud squeaking, but I’m pretty paranoid since mice freak me out and I just finished with this damn moth situation!

Again, I’m on the first floor. Any opinions?!

Thanks for ur replies in advance!! :D
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe you're OK & it's rats!
  • lalalandgirl
    Options
    LOL:mad::T staaaaappppp this really freaks me out. I was thinking of putting traps out but in case there aren’t any mice, I don’t wanna lure in ones from outside :rotfl:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had mice. Lots of physical signs and scrabbling noises but never heard any squeaking coming from them.

Next door's bed springs??
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • lalalandgirl
    Options
    Apparently the babies squeak when abandoned by the mother mouse! Ahh

There isn’t a bedroom directly next door - it’s their kitchen so have to rule that out
  • Get a cat! Our current lodger, Raffles, is a confirmed mouser!
  • AmyHunt
    AmyHunt Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Put a mouse trap with some chocolate on it, they love this,a bit of Mars bar caught loads for me in my old shed,if you catch one keep re-baiting the trap till you catch no more then put the skirting board back.

I'm a bit old fashioned but I couldn't set up traps like that. Why don't you try the peanut oil in a bowl trick?

A few tablespoons of oil a shallow,but heavy, bowl and they'll fall in trying to get to it. They just scramble around in the oil until you free them.
    :A
    Just my two pence :)
    ~ Always exploring ~
  • pinklady21
    Options
    Hello all
    Mice are running amok under my fitted kitchen units. House in the country surrounded by fields. Have laid live catch traps, and caught over 20 so far. The wee devils have eaten through dishwasher drain hose. I have removed kitchen unit plinths, and looked underneath with a torch and it looks like the mice are coming up through a small gap between the floor and the wall. Impossible to get in there, as it is a long reach under the fitted units.
    Question is - is there anything I can use to block the entry holes without ripping out the units?
    I really don't want to take them out, as just had the worktop and sink replaced, which is how we found the eaten dishwasher hose (had not used to machine for ages).

I have thought about fixing a metal angled plate along the wall and floor, sealing edges with rodent proof sealer. But can't work out how to do this without taking the units out first.

Any ideas welcomed!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,540 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Why are you using live traps? If they are alive they can get back in. Proper traps and rubbish bin.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback