Benefit cap?

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Might it be dependent on you filling out the form and sending it back?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yea maybe. Im going to ring them on monday and see what the change is suppose to be ive nothing any different to add to the form. If my money is reduced and i have to pay more towards rent thats no problem id just like to know if people have had this letter before and what it meant for them. Some people on here just think everyone is benefit scroungers and have no idea of peoples individual circumstances.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Based on what benefits you claim then the benefit cap will apply to you and i'm not sure why it never has, if you've always claimed the same benefits.
  • System
    Options
    It has already. I get hb paid to my landlord and then i get another payment made to me to cover a little bit more and i transfer that to my landlord along with my money to cover the rest of my rent. This has been like that for about a year and a half no issues.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Danik1989 wrote: »
    then i get another payment made to me to cover a little bit more
    This will most likely be a discretionary housing payment. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

The benefit cap will still apply to you but you were receiving this payment to cover the shortfall in your rent. You will need to fill out another form to re-apply for another DHP.
  • System
    Options
    Thats exactly what it is. It says that on the form that i have to fill out. Why am i only getting this now? Ive never heard of it before.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Thats exactly what it is. It says that on the form that i have to fill out. Why am i only getting this now? Ive never heard of it before.
    You would have had to apply for that previously. If there's a shortfall in the amount of housing benefit you can claim then you can apply for this to help with the full rent amount. It's not guaranteed that you will receive it this time but fill out the form, you never know.

If you had given all the information to start with then it would have been easier to advise you.
  • System
    Options
    Sorry i didnt even realise until you said that and i looked at the form and that was exactly what it said. Im a bit unsure of what it all means and its been so long since i had to fill anything out benefit related ive just forgot. Thanks for your help
  • poppy12345
    Options
    No problem. Have a read of the link i posted above, it tells you what it is.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yea maybe. Im going to ring them on monday and see what the change is suppose to be ive nothing any different to add to the form. If my money is reduced and i have to pay more towards rent thats no problem id just like to know if people have had this letter before and what it meant for them. Some people on here just think everyone is benefit scroungers and have no idea of peoples individual circumstances.

We see very few people on here who think anybody is a benefit scrounger, you can't expect to get a proper response to your question unless you are willing to give all the information needed, non of us are mid readers. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure