Benefit cap?

Options

Comments

• just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am just going to say this.

You've got a partner who works away but still comes over when home and stays. There's people who this is normal to and don't claim benefits, there partner works away from home. There's people who claim otherwise for financial gain. How much is he actually giving you and how much are you claiming in benefits, gaining financialy?

Maybe get him to cover the discretionary payment instead of continually claiming. If you are fraudulently claiming then you are a scrounger.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options
    Danik1989 wrote: »
    Yes i have a 3 year old. Yes i had the interview heard nothing since so surely i should of been made aware if there was changes made to my benefit? As you will no from my previous posts i was not aware that being in a relationship and living at different addresses meant i shouldnt be entitled to income support. Im only asking for advice on here not some judgemental people asking why i dont live with him that is absoutely none of your business. Im only asking what this letter means as income support have not made me aware of any changes.
    No-one’s being judgemental, so calm down. It’s simply factual to say that if you are in a relationship with the father of your children then you may not be treated as a single mother by the benefits system, and it absolutely is their business why you do not live together, especially if the reason is so that you can claim to be a single parent in order to obtain benefits.

Whether I or anyone else thinks the same is neither here nor there.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He works away and lives in another house when he comes back. He visits the kids everyday when he is home i didnt say he stays here every night when he is back. If the benefits system see this as im not a single parent then surely they should make me aware of this. I didnt realise that with him living at another address means he had to pay for here aswell. He hasnt lived here for reasons that people on here dont need to no i was completly open and honest with the jobs and benefits office but im saying i dont need to tell people on here my reasons. I only asked if people have seen this letter before and what it meant for them!
    Im sure he would be more than happy to cover that payment but i didnt even no what it was until someone on here told me. I didnt no he could cover that payment. I have no issues with paying more money if people in the benefits office would work with me here and tell me what the hell i should be doing its so frustrating. People saying one thing income support saying another and hb saying something else. If i should be claiming as a couple then i will i just didnt know
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why are you concerned, honestly?

You and all the benefits you are entitled to as a single parent, a rent top up AND a decent amount of money from your partner that you do not have to count because ‘reasons’

If you are not getting enough benefits or are concerned that you are not getting enough, ask the father of your child to pay for that.

You are getting more than a lot of people in your situation. I don’t know why you need or think you deserve more.
  • System
    Options
    Where did i put up that im concerned im not getting enough money?? All i wanted to know was what is that letter about. If i have to pay more for rent thats not a problem. It was a random letter in the post yesterday and all i wanted to no was has anyone got one and whats it about. Im not asking the hb for more money??
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The discretionary housing payment is asking your local council for more money for your rent.
  • System
    Options
    I didnt ask for this though? But its wrote at the bottom of the letter that i have to fill the form out
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You were previously claiming it, they don’t just give it you, you have to claim it. If it’s awarded then it’s only given temporary and then you have to re-apply. This is why they sent you another form.
  • System
    Options
    I dont remember applying for that. They use to pay most of my rent directly to my landlord. Over a year ago they told me they would only pay so much and the rest would be made up by a supplementary payment. I have never requested a discretionary payment hence why i didnt even know what it was and asked on here
  • System
    Options
    The supplementary payment is paid into my bank from the (dfc) department for communities. Im in northern ireland
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure