Halifax Savings Made Dormant

Options
I have a Savings Account with Halifax, which I put money into on a quarterly basis.
They have made this account Dormant, because I did not take money out. (Savings Account)

I am now unable to access this account until I produce Photo ID, which I do not have, or need.
I have other accounts with Halifax, same name and address, which I can access, and I have been a customer for nearly 50 years, yet I cannot access my savings account without proving who I am.

Any advice on how to prove who I am without photo ID, would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Ask Halifax what the alternative forms of ID are.

They will have other ways of proof, usually needing two or three documents.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a Savings Account with Halifax, which I put money into on a quarterly basis.
    They have made this account Dormant, because I did not take money out. (Savings Account)

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/dormant-account.html

In general, a low-balance savings account which has shown no activity (deposits and/or withdrawals) over a long period, other than posting of the interest and/or service charges. Statute of limitations usually does not apply to dormant accounts, and their funds can be claimed by their owner or beneficiary at any time.

See definition above of a dormant account.

How can your account have been made dormant if you are making regular quarterly contributions?
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I had an issue with Halifax refusing to accept my identity over the phone, I went into the branch and took all the documentation for the account (the letters confirming it being opened, all statements) and a few other bits and pieces from other accounts with the same name and address on. I also had an expired passport, which might have helped, though some people consider that to not be acceptable as ID. I was prepared to refuse to leave the branch until they unlocked the account (which wasn't a dormancy thing) but fortunately it didn't come to that. The branch staff accepted I'd given them at least as much proof of ID as when I opened the account.

Scottish Widows once marked an account as dormant for me, in fact that was one that had been created by them with a pension "windfall", and all I had to do was phone them up.
  • Toku-Floyd
    Toku-Floyd Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They will accept nothing except a photo ID, all other ID forms such as statements and addresses have been accepted, but I have to have a photo ID.

They even told me that, should I complain to the Ombudsman, the Ombudsman would uphold the Halifax actions!

It's getting difficult.
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Might a provisional driving licence be the answer? They only state that a driving licence be current.

An annoying hoop you need to be jumping through but possibly a not so expensive solution.
  • CavendishWobble
    Options
    No bank would make your account dormant if you did make quarterly payments. If you can show statements or proof of the quarterly payments then it is their error and you will be entitled to some compensation. (please let us know the outcome as it is a big error if so)

Accounts are not made dormant sometimes for several years after the last activity took place on the account.
    Save £12k in 2020 = £4,074.62/£15,000 (27.2%) #89
    Save £12k in 2019 = £13,580.52/£15,000 (90.5%) #92
    Save £12k in 2018 = £17,189.12/£15,000 (115%) #36
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CavendishWobble is correct. Getting a photo Id is the next option, don't waste your time complaining about it, just prove your identity.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Toku-Floyd
    Toku-Floyd Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the help, but it appears that applying for a Provisional Driving licence, needs a current Photo ID document.

Caught in a loop.

Looking at some of the links provided on this thread, has shown me that the documents I took to Halifax are acceptable.
    Two of them are actually accepted if a photo ID is not available.

I think that I am being given the 'runaround' as they have made a mistake and are not prepared to admit it.

I sent a formal complaint to customer services at Halifax, 'signed for' by Royal Mail.
    Wouldn't you believe it, Royal Mail managed to lose the letter!
    They have admitted it and gave me a book of stamps as compensation.

Nothing is trustworthy anymore.

I am not giving up on this, any advice on contacting the "Ombudsman" (Ombudsperson) or anything I need to do before bringing them into the affray?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure