Paying extortionate amount, not sure how to proceed

Options

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Noctover wrote: »
    There is a switch in the kitchen, its like a light switch but has a red light above it. I've always just left it off but that's very possibly the boost then!.

It may be for a fridge or freezer below the work surface
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is another dial in the lounge, its like a thermostat that goes between 0 and 30 degrees but i've never figured out what it even does...I mean it makes no difference to the water and its electric only storage heaters so does not affect the heating. I always just leave it at 0.
    Some storage heaters have a fan controlled by the thermostat, blows the hot air out of the heater. They usually have 2 switches on the wall with a thick and thinner wire going to the heater.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the tips.

Ive checked the meter and it is the correct serial number on the bill for my meter. I am currently taking regular readings of the meter to see its increment. I can see the clock on the meter is 1 hour 20 minutes slow which impacts the ECO7 time. I am gong to stay up late tonight and check exactly what time my Eco7 night rate kicks in (Friday night meter reading, such a party animal). Will report back with
    any findings.

Thanks again!
    Don`t forget we are in BST now and that makes timers slow by an hour anyway as they run according to GMT. Timers stay in GMT apart from Radio Teleswitch/smart Eco 7
  • Noctover
    Noctover Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Great info thanks guys. Tonight i'm staying up a bit to monitor my night time ECO 7 switch over, #livingthedream :/. Will see exactly when it starts/ends.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 June 2019 at 10:04PM
    Options
    With everything off and unplugged just make sure no power is being used, to check that the is no use outside your flat, like communal lighting, or next door.

Also then watch that the immersion turns off after an hr on e7 at the meter.

You could buy your own power monitor if you can get a clamp around the cable at the fusebox.

2 versions make sure you get the correct one.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/geo-Minim-Energy-Monitor-Self-Installed/dp/B00JIMQP6Y?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

This one looks better.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Efergy-Technologies-ELITE-CLASSIC-4-0/dp/B001Q1G4WK?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_15
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The LED version of the Minim sticks a sensor over the flashing LED on the meter, which means it's spot on accurate, unlike the clamp versions.
  • Noctover
    Options
    So weird that you guys posted that, i literally just bought the LED sensor one. Im wondering if anyone can help me understand something.

Now i know this meter well at this point, i've been to visit it about 25 times today. The top light "100A" is always off, and the bottom light pulses to indicate how much energy your using (faster flash = more energy). For me it seems to pulse every 7 seconds. Once midnight hit, all of a sudden the top 100A light is now on, always; and the pulsing LED is flicking every 0.7 seconds indicating immense usage.

So heres the thing; i've now got a new light on that i dont know what it means (Anyone know what 100A light means?) and im using more energy by far, but its still calculating this high energy consumption based off my Day Rate not Night Rate IE way more expensive because the meter clock is 1 hr 20 minutes slow.

For perspective: in 24 hours from 4pm to 4pm i used 5KWH of energy daytime, and 4 kwh nighttime. From 11pm until 11:30pm ive already used 3KWH, in 30 minutes of daytime rate due to rapid blinking.

Any thoughts appreciated.
  • Noctover
    Options
    Further development; i went over to the immersion heater and found 2 light switch style switches next to it and turned them both off, it immediately reduced the flickering back to a slow 7 second interval. I turned them back on 1by1 and found 1 in particular to be the culprit, only problem is i don't know what each one does and i cant share pictures on here. Essentially they both have wires coming out, one goes to a cylinder valve upper/middle of the tank and the other goes to a cylinder valve at the bottom of the tank. The one at the bottom of the tank is the culprit.

Here is what i suspect is happening: the immersion heater has a timer and is set to come on at midnight; it seems to be taking insane amounts of electricity (approx 4kwh per hour) AND is using the near 18p day rate instead of the 9p night rate due to the clock on the meter being incorrect.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 22 June 2019 at 1:54AM
    Options
    The clock is not actually incorrect. The Economy 7 clock gives you cheaper electricity for around 7 hours during the night. This time of year, British Summer time when our clocks have changed the Economy 7 will kick in say at 01.30am to 08.30am (7 hours). When the clocks change back in the Autumn your cheaper electric will run from say 00.30am to 07.30am (7 hours). So as long as you get cheaper electricity for 7 hours during the night you clock is working as it should.

It looks as though you will need to reset the immersion heater timer. I would get it to come on at say 3am and to go off at say 5am then you won't need to alter it again when the clocks change in the Autumn and again in the Spring.

From what you have said it appears that around half of your water is being heated at your more expensive day rate and the remainder on your cheaper night rate. You need to reset your timer so it heats the water during the Economy 7 cheaper electric time.

With regards to the 2 switches. I believe they both belong to the immersion heater. I would think that the one that is wired to the lower part of the tank is for heating a full tank, say on Economy 7 during the night. The other switch would be for the top which would be used as a top up during the day so a lot less water to heat up if needed. So one heats up half a tank and the other a full tank.

Hope that helps

Edwink

ETA. Changed pm to am
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Noctover
    Options
    Do you mean 3 to 5am? Only problem is......I cannot find a timer for it anywhere :/.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure