Flight Delay Compensation, Lufthansa Only

Options

Comments

• y2jammie
    Options
    I submitted my original issue (requesting exact details of the flights that I was scheduled on/re-booked on to) on 4 December 2012, had a response on 17 December.

That response basically asked me to send them a scanned copy of my passport and my signature in order for them to confirm that I boarded the flights in question and to make sure they send me the right information.

I was then posted complete information of the flights I was scheduled to fly on from my booking, and the actual flights I took (including the cancelled flight details).

I then told them that I would be proceeding with claiming compensation based on that information, and was passed on to their customer service team in Germany who they said handled compensation claims (as the UK team do not handle this and that is who I had been talking to).

A few weeks later I had an email from Lufthansa in Germany telling me they'd taken sufficient measures etc etc - and we're still ongoing now.
  • Sicillian
    Options
    Just from reading their email I guess they're pre-warning me it is going to be a slow process. Hopefully they are dealing with your claim!

Thank you for contacting Lufthansa German Airlines.

We have registered your request under Feedback ID xxxxxx and have forwarded it to the corresponding department for further handling.

If you would like to send us further information regarding your query, we kindly ask you to quote the Feedback ID as stated above.
    Currently, we are facing an exceptionally high amount of enquiries. Consequently, handling your case may take more time than usual. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We ask for your understanding that we are unable to provide you with an update on the status of your feedback and kindly request your patience in awaiting our response.

Please be advised that if you have contacted us regarding a ticket refund, we will forward your request immediately to our refund department. Our colleagues will arrange the corresponding refund handling. As a result of an increased volume of refund requests, we hope for your understanding that the refund process may take longer than normal.

You may find answers to frequently asked questions on our website
  • y2jammie
    Options
    That's just their standard response, it won't take too long to get to speak with someone.

I've just got in touch with the Germany air passenger rights people (LBA) who are going to deal with my complaint, although their complaint form basically says that if Lufthansa say no and I still want compensation i'll have to go through the Germany legal system because they generally just make sure airlines are behaving themselves and issue fines to airlines to try and keep them on the straight and narrow with regards to claims under 261/2004.
  • pleasurebear
    Options
    I've sent Signed For letters to 2 UK addresses that I found on MSE used by claimants to serve summonses on Lufthansa in the past:

1. Lufthansa German Airlines, World Business Centre, Newall Road, Hounslow, Middlesex TW6 2RD.
    2. Lufthansa German Airlines, 3 World Business Centre, Newall Road, Hounslow, Middlesex TW6 2TA.

Letters to both these addresses have been "undelivered".

Lufthansa have given me a Liverpool post box address but a summons cannot be served at one.

Does anyone have a UK postal address at which a summons can be addressed, please?
  • pleasurebear
    Options
    I'm following the advice given by MSE. The flights were booked in the UK and the flight was due to arrive in the UK so I wish to take Lufthansa to court in the UK.

Royal Mail provided Lufthansa postal addresses in the UK. The claim letter I sent to the 1st address RM gave was delivered today:

Lufthansa German Airlines, 2 Heathrow Boulevard, 284 Bath Road, Sipson, WEST DRAYTON, UB7 0DQ
  • pleasurebear
    Options
    I might be wrong about the Lufthansa address:
    Lufthansa German Airlines, 3 World Business Centre, Newall Road, Hounslow, Middlesex TW6 2TA.
    Royal Mail now tell me my letter wasn't delivered because it might have been lost.
  • Sicillian
    Options
    Just had an update from Lufthansa since their standard reply sent last week:

Thank you very much for your online comment dated 16 February 2013. We appreciate your patience whilst awaiting our response.

We would like to apologise to you since the delay to your flight LH905, on 21 June 2011 had a significant impact on the remainder of your journey. We understand how upsetting it is to have your journey disrupted in this way and very much regret the inconvenience this caused you.

Punctuality and reliability are essential components of our corporate philosophy, and we do everything in our power to meet these high standards. For example, we maintain our aircraft more frequently than is officially required and we make flexible use of our crews.

Unfortunately delays still happen on occasion despite our best endeavours. Your flight from London was subject to an arrival delay of 1 hour and 8 minutes due to the late arrival of the aircraft which was delayed on a previous flight as a result of restrictions imposed at Frankfurt Airport. We were sorry to learn that this delay would have caused you to miss your connecting flight to Dubai.

In such situations, our main aim is to get our passengers to their final destination as quickly as possible. We trust you will appreciate that our ability to resolve these situations is subject to availability on alternative flights or forms of transportation and that such bookings are made in good faith. We are pleased to note that you were rebooked on flight EK30 to Dubai the same day.

Airlines are not liable for delays caused by circumstances beyond their control and we are therefore unable to offer compensation. We hope for your understanding of our position in this matter.

Although we are unable to comply with your request in this case, we would be pleased if you continued to place your trust in Lufthansa. Rest assured that we will do our utmost to ensure that your future journeys proceed as smoothly as possible.

Yours sincerely,

Chelsea Connor/Kara Drummond

Lufthansa German Airlines
    Customer Feedback
    email: [EMAIL="customer.feedback.eu@lufthansa.com"]customer.feedback.eu@lufthansa.com[/EMAIL]

Help!!!
    They failed to mentioned that I arrived in Dubai over 3 hours later (arriving at 2.50am the next day) than originally planned which I explained in my email to them.
    Original flight was scheduled to leave at 11.45am and they managed to get me on later flight 17.00 with another airline.
    It was only as I went to actually board flight in London that they told me I had to go back to baggage reclaim as I wouldn't arrive in time to catch connecting flight (booked with them on same booking) and go back to their desk. No explanantion at this point as they were hurrying people onto to flight.

Should I go back and ask them as to what restrictions were imposed?
    Any advice is appreciated.
  • Sicillian
    Sicillian Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2013 at 5:17PM
    Options
    I basically booked my flight directly with Lufthansa from LHR to Dubai.
    Arrived at airport and flight was delayed however I went straight towards the departure as listed on flight board in airport. As soon as the gates were open I went through into waiting lounge. At this point no-one from Lufthansa mentioned anything was wrong and that I would not get my connecting flight.
    As they opened boarding I went to desk (after queuing as one does) and was told that they had been calling me over tannoy! I pointed out to staff I had been sitting 15feet from their desk and heard nothing. Nevertheless I was told to reclaim my baggage and I was to hurry and all would be explained at the Lufthansa desk.
    Moving on...they rebooked me onto Emirates flight at my request as the flight (their own LH) they recommended would get me in to Dubai 8+ hours later.
    I arrived into Dubai 3hrs later on Emirates flight (which was fab!). LH Desk told me they did not know why my original flight was delayed.
  • MavisTheMaven
    Options
    I've a claim with them from September last year. It was a strike and I'm claiming for a hotel at Dusseldorf airport, because all flights were cancelled. They've told me I will be refunded, they have my bank details, I have filled in the forms, but they still have not done it. Last reply I recieved from them was in December telling me to be patient. any advice, should I take this to letter? And to which address?
    Grocery Challenge - February £100
  • smashmash
    Options
    3 of us were delayed for 4 hours in 2011 in Frankfurt after leaving Hong Kong, waiting to go back to the UK. It was frustrating and tiring to say the least, with having to go from gate to gate and not being given any explanation at all. After being denied refreshments as well, it was the last straw. Without exaggeration, I would describe it as a near-riot!

But I digress. I have contacted Lufthansa 3 times up to now. I have claimed the maximum amount of compensation which is EUR 600 per person. Lufthansa have said the delay was due to a technical fault which was beyond their control. I have refused the offer and they then offered EUR 50 per person to spend in their online shop.

I think that was a bigger insult than just saying no as frankly I could think of better things to spend money on than a Lufthansa model plane or Lufthansa-branded baggage. The last letter was a compilation of points that other MSE users made in successful compensation requests, plus other little titbits garnered from the internet. Hopefully this will be the last letter and if so, will gladly help out anyone else who is getting stuck with Lufthansa.

Watch this space.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport