Harassment at work

Options
Would like some advice please on how to handle this current situation. I have been working for about 3 months in my current role as a Senior Manager in a firm, probation period is 6 months.

Recently, one of the other Senior Managers, a woman, began to play office pranks on me by sticking random, inoffensive pictures of animals she likes on places such as my laptop, notebook, mobile phone etc. when I was away from my desk in a shared office which at first I just laughed off.

This quickly escalated to her encouraging her office colleagues to e-mail myself pictures of said animals randomly to the point now when I am getting totally exasperated with finding these pictures stuck to the bottom of my safety shoes/in my shoes themselves.

I'm now at the point where I genuinely am fed up with the whole scenario, I am the only person in the office out of about 10 staff that gets subjected to this, am not sure whether I am expected to put up with this as I'm the new kid on the block as part of some initiation ceremony but am at the point now that whatever the joke was meant to be it has now worn thin and feel like I'm being harassed.

How would you broach the subject with the person involved without seemingly turning it into a big deal or for them to take offence? I don't want to start raising this as formal matter given my service within the company.

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you know the phrase 'nibbled to death by ducks'? I would use it.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    Do you know the phrase 'nibbled to death by ducks'? I would use it.

I didn't but I do now :)
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    Some people are so stupid, sorry you have to put up with that.

Just ask her to stop as you're not finding it funny.

Escalate from there if you need to, what would make me lose me !!!! is her having my subordinates play pranks on me too. She has basically removed all authority from you.

As you have not been there 2 years, you have to tread carefully and bear in mind she WILL play victim if you're too rough with your response to her.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Don't react at all in their presence. If a post it is on the cover of the laptop leave it there; in your shoes - just put your foot in; email - delete without reaction or comment. If you have to remove photos from items, again just do so without any reaction. When you cease to react they will soon get sick of their stupid games.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You're a senior manager, exercise your authority and inform them it stops now. I've known individuals to get a burst nose over this sort of thing.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    You're a senior manager, exercise your authority and inform them it stops now. I've known individuals to get a burst nose over this sort of thing.

Given his posting history, he doesn’t fit any definition of senior manager I’ve ever met.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 November 2018 at 10:00AM
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Don't react at all in their presence. If a post it is on the cover of the laptop leave it there; in your shoes - just put your foot in; email - delete without reaction or comment. If you have to remove photos from items, again just do so without any reaction. When you cease to react they will soon get sick of their stupid games.

+1

I would do this for a week. Make a point of not reacting at all.

If that didnt work i'd ask to speak to the other senior manager and say it was funny at the time but its now ran its course and you would appreciate it if she stopped it / discouraged it as the subordinates were taking it too far.

I would then also take each person aside on the QT and repeat the same, saying yes funny at the time, however its run its course therefore its time to draw the line on it and move on.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would just add that a senior manager believing that occasionally having inoffensive pictures of animals put on their desk is some form of harassment needs to get a grip on reality.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    This screams of emasculation and id personally jump on the snow flake wagon and start screaming harassment/bullying and constructive dismissal after taking at least 12 months sickness for depression and anxiety issues.

Ok ok so the above is codswallop...however if the roles were reversed id lay a penny to a pound that the situation would be viewed a whole lot different.
  • westbridgfordguy
    westbridgfordguy Posts: 106 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2018 at 9:46PM
    Options
    nicechap wrote: »
    Given his posting history, he doesn’t fit any definition of senior manager I’ve ever met.

If you're not going to offer anything constructive why bother posting anything at all?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure