PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    vintagegal wrote: »
    My knitting of the sweater is not going well. All the needles I bought are wrong, the ‘string’ bit is too long. So I’ve ordered some more but will have to start again.

Are you sitting comfortably? ;) Go and look for instructions for something called Magic Loop method - basically what you do is let the excess cable (the string!) stick out where it's not in the way and then you can knit smaller size tubes on even a long circular...

Here's a quick google search - I work best from instructions but others prefer videos, and there are both! https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+loop+knitting&oq=magic+loop+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.3650j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And a year to knit your first jumper is fine - be aware you'll probably lose interest a few times, especially in hot sunny weather, and suddenly it's cold and you want your jumper and you knit all the hours there are and wheee, it's done! :)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • vintagegal
    Options
    Thanks Laura_Elsewhere, I will check those out. I think I was just a bit shocked at this jumper being classed as easy, when it is much much more difficult than what I have been doing!
    I've got to stop doing scarves at some point though!

Haven't bought any new clothes recently although believe me I have a wish list. I'm making plans to decorate my bedroom and I'm hoping to make some shoe storage in the spare room so that I can see what I have easily, and I'm hoping that will help to make me realise I don't need any more
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • I have tallied up the coupons I have spent so far this year and I think I am doing okay. I have used 7 tokens so far. I have spent approximately £87.00 generally as I have got some shoe repairs done and I bought three tops from a charity shop as well as some haberdashery bits and pieces to enable me to make a couple of garments. Total tokens left 59.

I am also not really feeling in the mood for shopping for clothes or other things either. It just doesn't give me that buzz that I used to get years ago (and that other people do get). Lets hope it continues. I need to think of another craft project to do for March now I have nearly finished my culottes. I have some sock wool I bought ages ago but haven't actually got round to making them yet. Perhaps I will try that next.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Really interesting piece here in the Guardian about buying second-hand/ethical clothes buying. It ties in with what I’m trying to do.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I had to go into Primark today to buy things for someone else and there was a gorgeous bright deep green fluffy jumper reduced to £3 - the kind of lightweight long loose thing you'd wear over leggings around the place at weekends...

I would have bought it but I just kept thinking, hang on, that's five whole coupons...!!!!!

so I left it for someone else to have. :)

(Also, a couple of years ago, I was given a kilo of bright deep green mohair yarn which is probably enough to knit myself one, so if I want one that much... ;) )
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • vintagegal
    Options
    Really enjoyed that article PollyWollyDoodle, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

It is definitely a huge shift in mindset for us these days where we often think we need something new to wear for every occasion. My grandmother talks about only having one 'good' dress if she was lucky, and on one occasion took down the kitchen gingham curtains to make herself a dress to wear to a wedding.
    I have definitely got fussier about fabrics, finish and who made my clothes as I have got older. Sewing also makes you realise how expensive clothes ought to be
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I have had a very successful couple of days. A visit to a CS in a town I don't usually go to revealed a rail marked 'everything £1' - something I never see locally. I'm guessing it was stock that hadn't shifted - I got a brand new waterproof jacket which I need for an active holiday later this year, I wasn't really expecting to find anything like that in a CS so I'm very happy. Then today I got a lovely cotton sweatshirt, also ideal for this holiday where I'm going to need lots of layers. And best of all - NO coupons!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Oh well done, Polly! That's top marks on two different score-sheets, isn't it? It's a No Coupons achievement but also, you only got garments you actually want and need!

(I used to live near tons of CSs and just ended up buying tons and tons of stuff I never wore which all in the end went back again to the charity shop.... sigh....)

I'm pleased her too - I've had to do some Primark shopping for someone in hospital at present, and so have been in 3 or 4 times in the past fortnight. The first time I bought those stupidly-thin "tops" I can only wear as undervests, but since then although I've had a quick look round, I haven't bought anything for myself! Wheeee!

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Well done. I have learned with CSs that you have to buy it when you see it, I wasn't really planning any purchases but these were both real bargains. I am wearing the sweatshirt type top right now, it's only 'Tu' brand but it's really soft and cosy. Anyone else see the Sewing Bee this week where they explained how sweatshirts/hoodies were invented?

I should really be doing a wardrobe inventory to see what I actually need - at the moment ankle boots are quite high on the list and I am going to follow your tip Laura and set up a search on The Bay for some brand new Hotter ones, as I know they will fit and be comfortable. I have enough tops, jeans and t-shirts, I will need some new black trousers and my mission for this year is to learn to make (and fit) trousers so perhaps I will focus on that.
  • PollyWollyD thanks for the heads up of that article. I have just read it and, as you say, it is very interesting. It is definitely talking about the way I feel about clothes buying now.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family