PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I do so love all of the posts from you ladies, boring as i am i have yet to use any coupons so far this year. I will need stuff for my holiday in September but i hope to either use Ebay or make what i need.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 27 February 2019 at 2:29PM
    Options
    PollyWollyDoodle - that Guardian article was very interesting.

I am pleased to say that I have finished my culottes and I am very happy with them. I shall be taking them on holiday with me in July (hopefully it will be nice enough for me to wear them). I need to think about making some long sleeve tops now as that is really what I am missing this time of year. I shall raid my stash tonight and see what patterns I have and see if I have any fabric that will be suitable before purchasing anything.

I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe but it doesn't seem to really work for me like others say. I work in an office but it is a fairly casual office so I would look overdressed if I wore that type of thing. Also, the air con is so "efficient" it is always freezing cold so I need to make sure I wear enough to keep me comfortable. I am thinking of ditching the work wardrobe completely eventually and just make or buy clothes I like rather than "that will do for work". Obviously I will make sure I wear them all out first.

Please post a photo of the cullottes. I'd love to see how they turned out.

You know, you probably are operating a Capsule Wardrobe for work, without realising it. It doesn't have to be formal "office"; rotating your way though jeans plus various cardigans and/or a tweed jacket also qualifies. The concept behind a Capsule Wardrobe is versatility.

One of my favourite TV shows for clothes is "Father Brown". I love studying how the women are dressed, which is frequently in a tweed jacket, white shirt and unobtrusive trousers/skirt. The wardrobe mistress is a star at transforming outfits. If you watch all the episodes in quick succession, you can spot the main characters wearing the same basics, over and over again, but looking quite different.
    Haha, no, that's only one pair of socks being knitted in three colours, kept by my bedside in a little metal pail as a project-bag...
    The yarn invasion would be the double-cupboard in the sitting-room which, acc'g my Rav stash catalogue, has over 200 different sorts of yarn, in varying quantities. Well, not all in the cupboard. Some is in the three huge storage boxes entirely filling the space under the table, and in the three huge storage boxes behind the bench, and in the bags on top of the boxes behind the bench and at my parents' house. The bench is where the five gigantic boxes with my fabric live. Well, the fabric that isn't in huge storage boxes behind the bench.

Are you certain you aren't my cousin? No distant relatives in Australia by any chance? You sound so like me. Ravelry says I have 148 yarns in stash. (If you want to friend me, I'm PipneyJane on Ravelry, too.)

My fabric stash is tiny, but only because I haven't done much sewing in the last 20 years and I stopped working in London's Garment District so could no longer regularly access a good fabric remnants shop. (The Garment District was around Great Portland Street, but massive rents, etc, have killed it.)
    Oi, you minimalist, you - that *IS* organised!!!!!! :D:D:D

C'mon, my handknitted ankle socks and my M&S knickers are all beautifully folded on the shelves nearer the camera... and the clothes shelves are at least organised into long-sleeved tops, and then vest-tops and t-shirts above, and then jumpers and cardis above those... and things are IN the shelves, not on the floor!
    That IS organised...!!! :)

(seriously, after many years as a pathological hoarder, I reckon "all clothes IN the clothes storage area" is a major major win! :) )

My comment was meant to be a compliment! Your shelves look full but well organised. (I didn't sense check my post because my DH came home and interrupted my train of thought, so I just hit submit.)

I still have the corner of shame in the bedroom, where stuff that doesn't have a home gets dumped. It's better than it was, though. (I have iKEA wardrobe fantasies. One day...)
    rosie51 wrote: »
    I do so love all of the posts from you ladies, boring as i am i have yet to use any coupons so far this year. I will need stuff for my holiday in September but i hope to either use Ebay or make what i need.

Two months in and no spend? Well done, Rosie!

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm calling a win on my day.
    I was packing up for the allotment and DH came in and said since D'S is at the grandparents why don't we visit the outlet centre and do some clothes shopping?
    Didn't even second guess myself or debate it, was simply ' no. I don't want to do that, I'd much rather go up the allotment '.
    So that is what we did.

We do need some clothes and items, but I'm in no hurry whatsoever personally.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • vintagegal
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    I'm calling a win on my day.
    I was packing up for the allotment and DH came in and said since D'S is at the grandparents why don't we visit the outlet centre and do some clothes shopping?
    Didn't even second guess myself or debate it, was simply ' no. I don't want to do that, I'd much rather go up the allotment '.
    So that is what we did.

We do need some clothes and items, but I'm in no hurry whatsoever personally.

well done CAFCGirl, we are proud of you!
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Thankyou.
    I'm somewhat proud of myself.
    Plus the weather was too glorious today to spend it in and out of shops
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Wow, CAFCgirl, that's superb!

Now tell us - what did you wear for the allotments? What is this season's gardening garb? :)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Well in my case, a pair of very old jogging pants, an old sweatshirt and tee-shirt (it may be sunny but it's cold in the shadows) and a pair of beat up old trainers!

(oh the style of it!!!!:rotfl:)
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Well in my case, a pair of very old jogging pants, an old sweatshirt and tee-shirt (it may be sunny but it's cold in the shadows) and a pair of beat up old trainers!

:D

I've recently been helping a coppice woodsman near here a tiny bit - basically just being an intermittent donkey for him, carrying bundles of 5-7 foot poles uphill through tangled shin-deep twigginess to the top of the site... good for me, saves labour for him! Anyway, he's very much amused by my turning out the second time in a skirt, because it's so much more practical than jeans which i wore the first time! I joined the Ramblers recently and they've obviously not seen a skirt in decades, either! :)

Steel toe-capped lace-up ankle-high boots, long stockings overlapping leggings, full cotton skirt to just below knee, heavy brushed-cotton-flannel shirt buttoned high over t-shirt, leather fingerless bike-gloves with padded palms.

I always wondered whether I'd have managed in the Land Army. I've very little stamina but I think I'd have coped okay!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • I wouldn't know how to attach a photo I'm afraid. I can't work it out (I admit I am a bit of a technophobe).
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • CAFCGirl
    Options

Pretty much that - bar wellies as my footwear of choice :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business