IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

SCS Law & Smart Parking

Options

Comments

• manwyl
    manwyl Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xufins5sva3byp/Image%20%2812%29.jpg?dl=0

So it is not a Letter Before Claim you are responding to.

I definitely would not be admitting to even 'a small error' in any correspondence.
    Leave out the sentence starting "Had your client checked...".

Not this time. The LBC was apparently the first letter received from them. This latest one is the third letter so far.
    Thank you - I have removed that sentence as advised.
    Lamilad wrote: »
    This is not a court case (yet) - do not use words like "plead and "exhibit"

Thank you - Is claim instead of plead ok? "I claim substantial compliance with the contract. .....". I have replaced "exhibit" with "image" throughout.

If this is now OK I will get it in the post tomorrow. Thank you to everyone for their help and support :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It'll do.

IMHO whilst I agree that use of the word "error" may encourage the claimant to proceed and is perhaps best avoided at this juncture, I wouldn't be worried about admitting the error in any defence.

In general terms (whether at court or in correspondence) there is little harm in admitting at a hearing that an o instead of a zero could have been entered if you know that to be the case.

Their system could be designed not to accept registrations in anything other than correct XX/00/XXX format (subject to an override for personalised registrations). That would probably reduce such errors by a substantial margin. They could exercise discretion and manually cress-reference for obvious typos. They choose not to. It is intentionally punitive.

That may be their model, but it risks them falling foul of Beavis - ironically the one case they will no doubt rely on.
  • manwyl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Good evening all. We have had another reply from SCS. This one contains high res photos of the signs in the car park. I can upload them all if you would like. It also contains a "transaction report with registrations" partially redacted.

dropbox.com/sh/1ffbwnxatgy3uez/AADNmsAERdoOeJc7Z3U22Ymla?dl=0

They don't appear to have answered my question - "please can you confirm how many tickets were sold to vehicles with similar registrations to my own, but for which there is no record of them entering or leaving the car park on the day/at the time in question?". They have instead sent the transaction report. I know this is incomplete because a Smart Parking employee has already admitted there was a ticket bought for a car registration that wasn't in the car park. It was very similar to our own. This report does not contain the similar registration number data.

I'd be interested to know how often the ticket machines and ANPR cameras are synchronised with each other and the date/time checked for accuracy. They have only provided data from the supposed time entering the car park until 11 minutes before the supposed leaving time. Any time discrepancies could hide a valid transaction.

The photos provided, although clear this time, aren't accompanied with a date and time stamp to show when they were taken. This to me doesn't prove anything. Signs go up and signs come down as proved by visiting the car park to see Matalan have replaced Smart Parking with another parking company who have erected their own signs.

On the 2nd page of their letter the first paragraph tries to justify the legitimate interest in controlling parking to ensure parking for Matalan customers however this is contradicted by another sign on display throughout the car park. This sign says "Have you paid & displayed? Refund for Matalan customers". It can be seen on google street maps.

Refunds for Matalan customers, therefore no refunds for non-Matalan customers, therefore customers and non-customers can use the car park. A true legitimate interest in ensuring parking was available for customers would mean parking for customers only right?

And they want a reply within 7 days this time. The timescales for replies seems to be decreasing. Are they allowed to do this?

I look forward to any suggestions on how to reply. Your help is always invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They don't appear to have answered my question - "please can you confirm how many tickets were sold to vehicles with similar registrations to my own, but for which there is no record of them entering or leaving the car park on the day/at the time in question?".
    I'm not sure how anyone could answer that question.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • manwyl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    They will have a list of all payments received along with the registration numbers entered at the ticket machines. They will also know the registration numbers of all cars that entered the car park. It took them less than a minute to find this info (a payment for a car not in the car park. The registration number was VERY similar to ours, just 1 character difference so easy to spot) when I spoke with Smart Parking on the phone back when the PCN was first received. Now suddenly there doesn't appear to be a record of it so they've either excluded it or the date and time used to produce the list of transactions is not accurate. For example, the clocks went forward an hour at the end of March (approx 6 weeks before the alleged offence). If the clocks on all their equipment weren't updated automatically or manually then the data produced in the report would be for the wrong period of time. Either way, a ticket was paid for and displayed in the car well within ten minutes of entering the car park. They haven't answered the question.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As this is only Smart parking, why are you even bothering to reply? Not litigious.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • manwyl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had a LBC from SCS Law. I've been advised to reply in previous posts.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2018 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Yes and I said this, but you've done a reply already:
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Read the NEWBIES thread post #2 and particularly read examples written by Johnersh and LoadsofChildren123 in recent weeks, showing how to tell a Solicitor that their so-called LBCCC is not compliant with the new pre-action protocol for debt claims, which was updated on 1st October 2017.

Read the new protocol, you will soon see how they have failed. Either Google for it or follow the link in the NEWBIES thread post #2 all about LBCCC stage and the new protocol.

A LBCCC does not mean a claim is inevitable.

Even if you get a claim, this forum assist posters who have no experience at all, to win their defended cases 99% of the time.

The only response I would now suggest is like this robust reply:

Write & ask on what basis they are pursuing a registered keeper, since Smart Parking have never used a POFA compliant Notice to Keeper, and did they enjoy the Parliamentary debate last Friday, exposing the outrageous conduct of debt collectors and robo-claim solicitors cosily nestling with the rogue parking firms, where Smart Parking were named and shamed.

Add that if they proceed, you will bring the will of Parliament to the attention of the court to show the conduct of this reportedly 'out of control' rogue ticketer who have been sacked by Asda and Matalan in the past year alone, for aggressively ticketing customers:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5787731

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/parking-bill-moves-to-next-stage-will.html

Watch it in full, worth your while I promise:

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

handy quotes here from Hansard:

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

Honestly strike them with that to show you know everything about the scam and are not a victim they should choose to sue.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    As MPs now have these scamsters in their sights, add to their discomfort by complaining robustly to your MP. Kick them while they have their trousers around their ankles.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure