Do you tip in restaurants?

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    pantaiema wrote: »
    Did you tip your bin man?

It used to be common practice to tip the bin men, the coal man, the milk man, the paper boy, the postman...

Its usually now a sackable offence for a binman to accept tips. And some binmen are on over £30k and have second jobs. But they work hard in all weathers.

I will continue to tip in restaurants where it is custom and practice to do so, and where wait staff get low pay in the expectation that they will earn generous tips by providing good service.
  • pantaiema
    pantaiema Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 December 2018 at 4:22PM
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    It used to be common practice to tip the bin men, the coal man, the milk man, the paper boy, the postman...

Its usually now a sackable offence for a binman to accept tips. And some binmen are on over £30k and have second jobs. But they work hard in all weathers.

I will continue to tip in restaurants where it is custom and practice to do so, and where wait staff get low pay in the expectation that they will earn generous tips by providing good service.

Binman salary? Do they earn more than waitresses?
    https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salaries/bin-man-salary-SRCH_KO0,7.htm

Taskmaster Resources
    £8/hr Range: £7 - £8

Glasgow City Council Bin Man
    £15,042/yg Range: £14K - £16K

Many waitresses in the restaurant are students. They have something bright in their future. I fully believe many binmen if offered the job as the waitresses they will choose to become waitresses given the nature of works. Also many binmen are more likely to be breadwinners with some family members to feed. In contrary to binmen, waitresses are normally young which could mean they are more unlikely to have family in this stage.

So those who tips in the restaurants why do not you tip your binman?

Keep in mind this is UK not US. In the US waitresses are earning so little and expect to top up their salary via tips. In the UK everyone get minimum salary reflected their skills. The binmen are not earning more than waitresses.

Are you doing that because someone such as your girlfriends, colleagues, business partners are watching you and you do not want to look stingy? Are you doing that because you have experienced to be treated like king?
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    So many vague statements in that post.

Having worked for 10 years in waste management, I know that some bin men are on over £30k and have second jobs.

Bin men's wages, and waitresses wages, very enormously depending on where they are working.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I give my postman a small cash xmas box.
    But not the binmen.
    The postman is a lovely chap who chucks my packages over my locked side gate saving me a 4 mile round trip to the sorting office.
    The binmen are an unhelpful bunch!
    For years I had an old wheelie bin I used to gather my general waste, in bin bags. We have a back door collection policy, so they’ll come in as far as your back door to get rubbish. Now I have mine in a wheelie bin half way up the drive, so well within the distance.
    They didn’t take it once so I called them. They decided it was against health & safety to dip into a wheelie bin & remove bags.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    They decided it was against health & safety to dip into a wheelie bin & remove bags.
    This is standard across all areas, nowadays would you be sticking your hand into a bin which might have needles, broken glass etc in?!
  • Guerillatoker
    Options
    I tip anyone who provides me a personal face-to-face service (generally only if it already costs money, otherwise it feels a bit odd) but they do have to actually provide good service, I never do it as a matter of course or through social anxiety.
  • Flamed
    Options
    All this could be easily sorted by including a service charge for each item on the menu and if people feel the service was above and beyond, they can add an additional tip.

I know in some countries it is considered rude to tip.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flamed wrote: »
    All this could be easily sorted by including a service charge for each item on the menu and if people feel the service was above and beyond, they can add an additional tip.

How would you know that the service charge got to the staff?
  • Guerillatoker
    Options
    Flamed wrote: »

I resent service charges.

They should let me fetch it from the kitchen myself.
  • Sligo_Smokey
    Options
    always choose great places to eat. Always tip 10%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family