New plan...time to see some movement!

Options

Comments

• Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That concrete paint is brilliant. My parents painted their garage floor with it. It went from permanently dusty with stuff all over it to cleanable. When youd swept it you could tell. I recommend it.
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great progress jwil. Enjoy your time off xxx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Well done on your most recent de-cluttering :T but sorry you and DH had a row :(. I don't blame you for being cross with DH though for selling the item so cheaply.

You sound like you've been very busy dismantling your wardrobe and re-arranging the furniture in the DC's room :T.

Have a good weekend :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    All sounding good, enjoy your afternoon.x

Thank you :)
    Kitten868 wrote: »
    That concrete paint is brilliant. My parents painted their garage floor with it. It went from permanently dusty with stuff all over it to cleanable. When youd swept it you could tell. I recommend it.

Thank you :) I'm just worried I'll make it look worse. I will have another look at it.
    Great progress jwil. Enjoy your time off xxx

"If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • jwil
    Options
    Well done on your most recent de-cluttering :T but sorry you and DH had a row :(. I don't blame you for being cross with DH though for selling the item so cheaply.

You sound like you've been very busy dismantling your wardrobe and re-arranging the furniture in the DC's room :T.

Have a good weekend :).

• jwil
    Options
    The kids enjoyed their visit to soft play yesterday :) I got a chance to read a bit whilst there too so I enjoyed it. One of the younger children from nursery was there too so little miss was 'looking after' her. It was quite sweet to watch. Little jwil loves watching over them as well so it's nice.

It's wet here today and I've started my day wrong by getting into a debate on FB about plastic. It's wasting my time, and why I generally try to stay away from discussions like that. This article pretty much sums up my view: https://theconversation.com/climate-change-obsession-with-plastic-pollution-distracts-attention-from-bigger-environmental-challenges-111667

Whilst I agree with everyone else that it is horrifying the amount of plastic in the ocean etc, the knee-jerk reactions to it (including 'biodegradable' packaging) are in many cases making things worse environmentally. Whilst undoubtably some things have unneccessary packaging (childrens toys?) food waste is a far bigger environmental issue, and people just don't care about that. Textiles are another one which is a serious problem, and people just don't see that throwing textiles and food in the bin is just the worst thing you can do with them. They are so harmful in landfill - far more than plastic. Even tatty textiles and grotty holey (clean!) underwear and socks should be recycled as rags. Most of the plastic in the ocean comes from developing countries with no waste collection facilities, not the stuff we put in the bin! We should be supporting the charities that are trying to improve this problem as much as worrying whether our fruit and veg is wrapped in plastic.

Rant over :D

Now I must try and get on with something. It's wet here today, so will try and get some more cleared. Little miss has her jabs later so we will go out for a walk and probably feed the ducks at the same time.
  • jwil
    Options
    Just remembered I'd better update tax credits with estimated income for this year. I think this means it will stop now. I hope we don't have an overpayment for last year. It should be minimal as I always update promptly and I think I will have been paid less than estimated due to taking some unpaid leave.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You sound very knowledgeable about environmental matters Jwil :). I have read that less food packaging can lead to more food waste. I must try and remember to recycle material rather than throw it away.

I hope you don't owe tax credits any money. I need to ring them this week and I hate doing it :(.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 April 2019 at 5:39PM
    Options
    The whole plastic debate...........IMO it is great people are talking about it, are actively doing something about it however small, are putting it on the political agenda. Plastic USE is part of environmental destruction not the recycling.We pump a finite resource (oil) out of the ground and use it to make something we use once and then bury in the ground again to last longer in an inaccessible form........:huh: If we reduced our consumption of plastic and particularly single use, then recycling what we do use may improve. We as a family have moved away from single use as much as possible and that does mean over packaged stuff. We decided we do not need to put fruit and veg in a plastic container wrapped in plastic film...is where we started, then toiletries, then clothing other food stuffs and finally just STUFF!.

Our waste is determined by how much we bring into the household ultimately so we took the decision as a family to slash this - I had to ask the council to stop leaving me a food waste bin as they thought I didnt have one as we NEVER put food waste out - bins have proved handy for storing bird seed though ;) The odd chicken carcass/meat bones I put in our neighbours bin with their knowledge as they too have very little waste :D Our 'recyclable' waste is collected every week - we put ours out fortnightly and our 'non recyclable' waste is every 3 weeks - we put ours out every 9 weeks. I am personally very sceptical about council recycling practises but somewhere there has to be some trust!

I am not going to hijack your thread jwil but I am glad people are talking and long may it last. It is a bit like a container ship pulling up and turning........changing a mind set and habits..... but it has to happen.

I guess we are fortunate in that we live in a community which is all over this and is active in making that change so access to information, research,activities,resources is plenty. However if everybody took one single use plastic item out of their life forever then this is a positive step.

Now dont get me started on balloons and balloon releases :eek:

Sorry......I did hijack:o

ETA: I do agree with the sentiment of the article BTW...but everybody has to start somewhere!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 April 2019 at 5:24PM
    Options
    I agree that balloon releases are not good for the environment, not to mention using up our supply of helium!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47960237
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport