PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Impulse buys

Options

Comments

• Foofoopuppy
    Options
    I have managed to curb my impulse spending a lot more these past two years - coincided with tracking all our spending, which we started to save for our wedding and first house. I will admit though, I am sometimes a little sad when I see something lovely but expensive so pass on it. Once we have moved I intend to include a small amount for these purchases in our new budget :)
  • Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 856 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    calicocat wrote: »
    I have got the space, and won’t be spending lots as I ain’t professional at it, it’s just something to fill my time and hopefully enjoy, and as you say relaxing.
    Places like the Works do canvases and paint sets for not that much - alternatively, maybe ask on Freecycle or Swapping sites locally? Painting is one of those things which people take up with great enthusiasm, then lose interest and are left with a load of stuff - especially things like brushes and palettes.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your story sounds like classic retail therapy calicocat .:(

Hopefully when you go back full time you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll have the experience of keeping spending to a minimum but you'll have the money to take advantage of any offers and bargains to save you money longer term. I find that considering needs/wants works well and watching savings grow. Even if I then choose to spend some of the savings on holidays or eating out. :D It also helps that I hate being ripped off so I like to choose where I spend. I'm not prepared to pay over the odds. That's why Aldi was invented. :D
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Your story sounds like classic retail therapy calicocat .:(

Hopefully when you go back full time you'll have the best of both worlds. You'll have the experience of keeping spending to a minimum but you'll have the money to take advantage of any offers and bargains to save you money longer term. I find that considering needs/wants works well and watching savings grow. Even if I then choose to spend some of the savings on holidays or eating out. :D It also helps that I hate being ripped off so I like to choose where I spend. I'm not prepared to pay over the odds. That's why Aldi was invented. :D

Oh yes I’m well aware what it is. I used to say that whoever said retail therapy doesn’t work wants their head looking at and it must have come from a man. :D. As it does work to be fair, but is obviously short lived.
    We had a hostage situation a couple of years ago. Next day off I was off buying a handbag , I still call it the hostage bag. To be fair it makes me smile, it doesn’t harm anyone other than my bank balance .

I have always been completely aware why I do it, and have never really been bothered by it to be honest, I never over spend, always stay within budget, never get into any debt etc.

However, being part time just highlighted it so much more, coupled with I am getting sick of too many clothes half of which I like for a few wears ( as not shopping sensibly but to get an emotional fix). I have just been and counted my coat/ jackets . 23. Who the heck needs 23. Some no longer really fit, but that will only be about 4 of them.

I stopped myself buying any dresses other than essential holiday ones for last two years or 1 at Xmas until I lost some lard, I have stuck to that.

Next plan for this year is, no more ruddy coats that’s for sure, and no buying carp for the house like yet another candle, or candle holders, or table decorations etc. Also no buying anymore Xmas decorations, I love them, but could probably decorate 12 trees and mantles. New limit is 1 new one if it’s really special.

I will do it, as my desire to get my savings back to normal after new car will over-ride buying other stuff. My insecurity with that will out do any spending desire certainly for this year.

I think as you get older too you just get more sick of stuff you don’t need or use regularly.

Aldi fan here.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    calicocat wrote: »
    I have got the space, and won’t be spending lots as I ain’t professional at it, it’s just something to fill my time and hopefully enjoy, and as you say relaxing.

That and make myself walk on the beach more, I can let myself get very lazy at times.
    Now that, I can highly recommend. Costs nowt but shoe leather :money:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I spend a FORTUNE on reduced food & charity shop finds.

This year I’m trying not to. It’s my biggest area of wastage.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • VfM4meplse
    edited 6 January 2020 at 1:13AM
    Options
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    I spend a FORTUNE on reduced food & charity shop finds.

This year I’m trying not to. It’s my biggest area of wastage.
    Its a real pity if it's genuinely wasted. I can't believe you would buy food and not use it?!

As for chazzer finds, if you're not using them then there is the option of donating them back, which means that the money spent there is not wasted but going to a good cause.

ETA: just realised yours was the last post on the Sneaky Ways... thread, good on you!

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I did some impulse buys on christmas nibbles, real wasted impulse buys, I am just about to bin this high carb/high sugar rubbish. If I had not gone out, I would not have bought them. Same with bottles of lemonade, down the sink they go, I do better on water.

My spur of the moment crockery is coming today, very excited, a self-indulgent impulse buy. I am similar to calicoat, my impulse buy candles will slowly but surely be sent on as presents, not wasted. Its the internet, bad weather and boredom that does it for me. Not forgetting the endorphins
  • Jellytotts
    Jellytotts Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't have £200 a month to spend on anything, impulse or not so it's not me!

Much like the rest of you I dont consider it an impulse spend if it's something I would have purchased at some point in the year but I've found it cheaper in a CS or bootsale.

This weekend a local charity had a half price day, I didn't know about it until it flashed up on FB about an hour before closing with some photos of what they had left. I showed hubby, we went straight there and managed to pick up 3 things that were on our kitchen renovation list. Impulsive for some people maybe but I spent £6 on items that were in my amazon wish list for over £85.

I did buy a coat before Christmas, wool, knee length, fits like a dream and was a whole £8 from a CS, I don't have any need for a dressy smart coat normally and have my gardening waterproof, my allotment waterproof and a general out and about not muddy waterproof. But with a very poorly couple of relatives I knew I'd need something a bit smarter for up coming funerals (my general out and about coat is bright purple, not what my family would consider proper for a funeral). And now it seems that one relative is on the mend, hurrah! And the other passed away but isn't having a funeral. So the coat was a bit of an impulse buy but it can sit in the wardrobe for now and get donated next winter if I don't need it.

Oh and a couple of months ago I found a set of good quality saucepans in a CS, filthy dirty but a good price, I got them home, scrubbed them up and found them on line for over £350...I paid £15 - one of my saucepans had a dodgy handle, one had a dodgy lid but all were still usable so these were a semi impulse buy as I didn't technically need them. My previous set came via freecycle 11 years ago and went back on with the faults listed and were snapped up.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    pattypan4 wrote: »
    I did some impulse buys on christmas nibbles, real wasted impulse buys, I am just about to bin this high carb/high sugar rubbish. If I had not gone out, I would not have bought them. Same with bottles of lemonade, down the sink they go, I do better on water.

My spur of the moment crockery is coming today, very excited, a self-indulgent impulse buy. I am similar to calicoat, my impulse buy candles will slowly but surely be sent on as presents, not wasted. Its the internet, bad weather and boredom that does it for me. Not forgetting the endorphins
    Don't bin them, stick them on Oleo / Freecycle / Gumtree as a freebie or donate to a food bank (some supermarkets also have these baskets after the tills).

I personally find use for these all year round when friends come over for afternoon tea or drinks. It night hang around for a bit, but nothing goes to waste.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure