PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moved out on 30 may and still not had deposit back and agents not responding

Options

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm beginning to suspect the OP has a greater concern than the deposit. Illegal immigrant? Working with a student/tourist visa?
    This is what came to my mind too. Wants to avoid the courts at all costs and not prepared to share their address, certainly sounds like wanting to avoid the authorities. Maybe LL knows that...
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Even though you're on the periodic (rolling) element of the tenancy it's still an AST.

Look into what a letter before action is - maybe that would get their attention. Say if you don't hear anything to the contrary within fourteen days you'll assume the deposit wasn't protected and will be proceeding with legal action. Or something to that effect.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    I will be putting an email for contact. I don't see why address is needed if I have given my bank details and one point of contact.

I just hate giving my address out to anyone except the government.

So your bank doesn't have your address? What about utility suppliers? credit cards? Mobile phone provider? Electoral role?

Frankly the one I'd be most concerned about was the Govt!
  • brinkytwiddleee
    brinkytwiddleee Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 29 June 2017 at 11:17AM
    Options
    I spoke to my mum last night and agreed I will put my address on.

If I am an illegal then you should all give me a round of applause for learning the language so well.

So this morning I thought that I would ring the agents to see if there was just some error why they didn't email me back. Turned out I got nowhere and didn't put any of the points across I should have regarding the deposit being unprotected.

I just got through to a girl who seemed to know nothing about it and was just told she would get back to me when she found out. So I got no new info and now I am left in limbo.

My initial idea was ringing up would allow me to sort it quicker without having to resort to threatening letters but the opposite has happened because now I have no idea when they will get back to me and I am left waiting to send the letter.

Should I just send the letter to LL and agents anyway and not wait for them to get back to me?

All I got to say on the phone was ask why my deposit hasn't been returned and I also asked to find out who it is protected with. I didn't even get to mention about my having checked myself and found it unsecured. I am terrible at articulating my points on the phone it feels like I am on a time constraint.

Oh and I looked at the last tenancy agreement before I got put on the rolling one and it does say in the clause that you should pay for the professional cleaning as others said in my other thread. This is what made me ring them since I felt I would it was more justified since it was in the contract but does that go out the window if it is unprotected? Even if it was protected they didn't tell me so that means they are not let off the hook even the are they.

So should I let them respond or send anyway? My idea was to get a resolution quickly by ringing them and be done with it but I am now stuck in limbo and no closer to knowing what they are up to.
  • Guest101
    Options
    I spoke to my mum last night and agreed I will put my address on.

If I am an illegal then you should all give me a round of applause for learning the language so well.

So this morning I thought that I would ring the agents to see if there was just some error why they didn't email me back. Turned out I got nowhere and didn't put any of the points across I should have regarding the deposit being unprotected.

I just got through to a girl who seemed to know nothing about it and was just told she would get back to me when she found out. So I got no new info and now I am left in limbo.

My initial idea was ringing up would allow me to sort it quicker without having to resort to threatening letters but the opposite has happened because now I have no idea when they will get back to me and I am left waiting to send the letter.

Should I just send the letter to LL and agents anyway and not wait for them to get back to me?

All I got to say on the phone was ask why my deposit hasn't been returned and I also asked to find out who it is protected with. I didn't even get to mention about my having checked myself and found it unsecured. I am terrible at articulating my points on the phone it feels like I am on a time constraint.

Oh and I looked at the last tenancy agreement before I got put on the rolling one and it does say in the clause that you should pay for the professional cleaning as others said in my other thread. This is what made me ring them since I felt I would it was more justified since it was in the contract but does that go out the window if it is unprotected? Even if it was protected they didn't tell me so that means they are not let off the hook even the are they.

So should I let them respond or send anyway? My idea was to get a resolution quickly by ringing them and be done with it but I am now stuck in limbo and no closer to knowing what they are up to.

Professional cleaning clauses are not enforceable. Just ignore it.

Just send it, today!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

How many times do you need this repeated?

Write a letter to the LL and copy the agent.

In the time spent on this thread you could have printed it off, hand-delivered it, stopped at a cafe on the way home, gone online and booked your holiday and got home in time to pick up the reply delivered by the postman!
  • Guest101
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    How many times do you need this repeated?

Write a letter to the LL and copy the agent.

In the time spent on this thread you could have printed it off, hand-delivered it, stopped at a cafe on the way home, gone online and booked your holiday and got home in time to pick up the reply delivered by the postman!

We'll have a new monarch by the time that letter hits a postbox!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    We'll have a new monarch by the time that letter hits a postbox!
    Hasn't Will said none of the family want to take over.

Maybe they'll advertise for volunteers......
  • Guest101
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Hasn't Will said none of the family want to take over.

Maybe they'll advertise for volunteers......

Think it was Harry, but yes I read that too.

Cant say I blame them to be honest it's the hardest and easiest life in the country!
  • brinkytwiddleee
    Options
    Thanks guys,

Just sent via first class, with proof of postage, as suggested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure