Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Loving the chatter...makes me wish i had more away trips!!

...but there's no place like home jimmy. I wish Mr F wasn't away so much.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    My kitchen floor is clean :j

It's not perfect. The original grouting was cream and a darker beige shade has been put over the top in places. So it's a bit patchy and rustic. But it's a farm house style kitchen so I think it looks right for the style and age of the house. I could have had the grout painted but we tried a sample patch and it looked too pristine and plasticy. The main thing is IT'S CLEAN :j I have done a little happy dance around it :o

It took Tile Man over 4 hours to do the job :eek: I had to work around him so have shifted and unpacked boxes where I could today.

Why is there still so much to do? We'll have been here three weeks on Wednesday and I'm nowhere near having the place ready to receive. Mr F is away for a week with work from today so it's all down to me now :(

Still, a clean kitchen floor is a huge step forward :D

Tomorrow's jobs are cleaning the bathroom, meal planning and grocery shopping.

Cinderella's not going to the ball anytime soon :rotfl:

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    You shouldn't be embarrassed about the before pics Fortune, it's not like you made the tiles that way...

Still would like to see the after pics though. (Pretty please)
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    You shouldn't be embarrassed about the before pics Fortune, it's not like you made the tiles that way...

Still would like to see the after pics though. (Pretty please)

I would just for you Wish if I had the means. I can't use Ph0t0buck£t as I used to because they have started charging and I don't have any other photo accounts :(

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    ... and one broken toilet back. Now the tiles are clean in the downstairs rooms I was able to see that the downstairs loo is leaking :eek: Only a tiny bit but it will need to be fixed and soon. I called someone today so hopefully will get a repair date quickly. There's no house move budget left so the cost will have to come out of the emergency fund.. which I suppose is what it's for.

I cleaned three quarters of the bathroom today before I ran out of umph :o I'll do the shower cubicle and floor tomorrow. I got rid of another couple of boxes though and plan to spend most of tomorrow doing more.

Today's post bought the TV stand so I was able to set up the small TV in our bedroom :D The fake wasps nests also arrived so I've put them up inside against the windows and we'll see what the wasps think of them tomorrow ;) I didn't think they'd survive outside for long in this wet weather as they are only made of paper. A pole for opening and closing the velux windows was included too - thank goodness. I was relying on Mr F to open windows for me as I'm too short to reach them :rotfl:

A friend called this evening so we had a good catch up and set a date for her to visit. That will be a nice social occasion to look forward too.

I really enjoyed cooking in the kitchen today. It's a different place entirely now it's clean :D

Hope your week has started well.

Fortune x
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I'll let you off on the photos then, not very mse to pay for such a service.

Yay to clean tiles, boo to leaky toilets.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    In my mind, there's no better use for an emergency fund than repairing a toilet.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    What a pain about the loo. I wonder if the previous owners knew but just left it? When I moved into my 1st home, the shower didn't work and a window handle came off in my hand. I think they'd tried to glue it :eek: It was so frustrating and expense that I hadn't accounted for. I'm due to move soon and my shower started leaking a bit but I couldn't knowingly leave it for the new owner so I've had it replaced. I'm hoping I'll be rewarded in my new place and not be left any "surprises" :D
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sorry about the loo, but other than that you seem to be doing just fine :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    I'll let you off on the photos then, not very mse to pay for such a service.

Yay to clean tiles, boo to leaky toilets.

It could be worse Wish - it's been raining cats and dogs here for days but all seems dry inside. Touching wood as I type though :rotfl:
    In my mind, there's no better use for an emergency fund than repairing a toilet.

You are quite right INOD - a leaking toilet is an emergency :)
    Orange_Ena wrote: »
    What a pain about the loo. I wonder if the previous owners knew but just left it? When I moved into my 1st home, the shower didn't work and a window handle came off in my hand. I think they'd tried to glue it :eek: It was so frustrating and expense that I hadn't accounted for. I'm due to move soon and my shower started leaking a bit but I couldn't knowingly leave it for the new owner so I've had it replaced. I'm hoping I'll be rewarded in my new place and not be left any "surprises" :D

It's only leaking a tiny bit Ena. I only noticed because the grout had been cleaned and it was possible to see the darker wet area against it. When the grout was dark with dirt it would have been impossible to see. I suspect the vendor was aware that the toilet was wobbly but not that there was a leak. It doesn't look as though it was fitted very well in the first place.

It is annoying when things aren't as they should be and we could have done without the extra expense. But I don't think the vendor left them like that intentionally.

Let's hope we don't have any more surprises :rotfl:

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback