Tales from The Shire

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,701 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you had a fab weekend.

I feel your pain re the jeans, I loathe buying jeans.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    I hate buying jeans too. The waistband is always far too low for me to feel comfortable, and I have to get a size 16 to get them to fit properly in the first place but after a bit of wear and regular washing they become a bit too big and loose as I'm normally a 14. The last pair I bought were actually from eBay as they came up in a search for "high rise jeans", but they look dreadful as they're massive around the thighs and I don't like being outside the house in them DX
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely weekend Fortune. I hope you enjoy the rest that comes this weekend.

I too hate shopping for jeans. Why can't they just fit and look nice? I also have the same difficulty with shoes. And since having Pickle baby carriers too - thank heavens we have a sling library so I can try them all before I buy. Why can't we have a jeans library?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wonderful stuff, Fortune - hope pottering about locally will be restorative.

Another one here that hates buying jeans. Any clothes at all, actually, sorry!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,953 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ditto re jeans.... I find Next's to fit best.

Enjoy the pottering - a routine day is so necessary sometimes!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Another one here who is not a fan of buying jeans - I have large thighs (even when a size 8 they were chunky) and my hips are usually a size larger than my waist - and I'm not a fan of low rise ones post children - waaay too much squidge!! :D Oh - and I'm short, too. Meh!

Glad weekend was good :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can see I'm not alone in the struggle for a good fit jean :rotfl:

What a lovely day it's been today. I popped into the market town and felt very comfortable navigating and finding a parking spot. Had a delightful time making new friends over coffee and cake, getting some artistic inspiration and generally exploring. I'm starting to feel at home here.

Got home to find my windows had been cleaned :eek: It seems our vendor had forgotten to let the window cleaner know that she was moving. Mr F gave him quite a shock apparently :rotfl: I had intended to get a window cleaner so no harm done. He's come once every couple of months in the past so if that proves sufficient it will work out cheaper than my previous bill :)

Mr F has left for his next business trip so I am occupying myself with FB sales - 6 items listed so far :T The it's another early night for me. I am suddenly exhausted.

Night all

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 87% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Was it just the fact that Mr F was not the person the window cleaner was expecting or is there more to this tale?

Sat on the toilet?
    In the shower?
    Still in bed?
    Dancing to a cheesy number?
    Wearing your pinny whilst washing up?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    Was it just the fact that Mr F was not the person the window cleaner was expecting or is there more to this tale?

Sat on the toilet?
    In the shower?
    Still in bed?
    Dancing to a cheesy number?
    Wearing your pinny whilst washing up?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Of all of those options Wish the first is the most likely. We have a low, clear window in the bathroom and, if you were walking up to the front of the house, I think you might be able to see anyone in situ :rotfl:

It was more that Mr F noticed a stranger wandering outside the house with a ladder and marched up to him demanding to know his business.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Options
    So I checked on the downstairs loo this morning as today is the day it's supposed to become operational.

It is leaking :eek: More than before :eek: The concrete plinth is cracking and flaking and the previous silicone (which I was assured would be removed and cleaned up) is clearly visible underneath :eek:

I have been on the 'phone to the boss this morning who agreed to come round himself within 20 minutes and then texted to say he'd just remembered he'd left his tools on a job elsewhere and could he come round on his way home at 5.30 this evening. Really? Good job I was able to isolate the water inlet pipe myself.

I'd rather use someone else now but can't find anyone who's available before September :eek: Mr F thinks he could do the job himself so, if we don't get any joy today, I think I'll wait until he gets home.

Very irritating.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback