Sky ADSL customers CHECK YOUR BILL FOR HIDDEN CHARGES (Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra @ £4 pm)

Options
Here's a little story...

I was originally with Beunlimited, a fantastic ISP, Sky purchased Beunlimited and I was transferred to their system in 2013. Like many others I do not own a landline phone, so when Sky added their Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra at £0 per month I ignored it.

In 2016 Sky started charging me £4 a month for Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra (even though I have never requested it and clearly, without a landline phone, I do not benefit from it in any way.

Having electronic billing (as I am not paying extra for paper billing) I failed to notice this, and have just realised that I have spent over £100 on this nasty hidden charge. Sky are now claiming that they did tell me about this in October 2015, although I can't find any evidence of this (I haven't changed email address since well before I was saddled with Sky broadband, and I keep all emails), Sky also have failed to provide any evidence so far only stating "you would have been sent a letter and an email".

After going through a Resolver (excellent system) case Sky are generously offering me £40 off my bill if I stick with them! That's less than a 40% refund! :(

Has anyone else had this issue? Was anyone actually told?

Did you get caught out by the hidden Sky Talk Evenings and Weekends Extra charges? 6 votes

Yes, and I have realised I have been ripped off!
16%
aweeks_2 1 vote
Yes, but I don't care
0%
No (and I have Sky ADSL)
83%
esuhlteddysmummije1983JJ_Egan[Deleted User] 5 votes

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No (and I have Sky ADSL)
    We were on Anytime calls (which was slightly renamed, I believe when mobile calls were added) and received an email saying you would be put on new package above yours unless you objected. (Ours went up in price to include mobiles and people on free weekend were offered evening and weekend, with free weekend discontinued).
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No (and I have Sky ADSL)
    I'd say 40% refund was a good result! I also received notification like teddysmum above.

You say that because you had online billing you didn't notice this. Is this because you can't access your account for some technical reason that Sky can't solve (O2 seem to have this issue with my mums mobile account so she gets free paper billing) or just because you never looked at your bills? If the latter then I'd push harder for a full refund as well as free paper billing. If the former, well to be blunt, it's not Sky's fault you didn't check or notuce the notification.
  • lofielectronic
    Options
    I feel your pain. Since they bought out our broadband from o2 for some convoluted reason we now pay £5.00 a month for NOT having Sky Talk (as per https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/sky-o2-be-broadband-supplements-sky-talk-tv/ ).

I may contact them and see if we can save £1 a month by having it!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every bill should be checked monthly, mistakes can and do happen and none of us wants to waste money.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 10 April 2018 at 10:39PM
    Options
    No (and I have Sky ADSL)
    I feel your pain. Since they bought out our broadband from o2 for some convoluted reason we now pay £5.00 a month for NOT having Sky Talk (as per https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/sky-o2-be-broadband-supplements-sky-talk-tv/ ).

I may contact them and see if we can save £1 a month by having it!

Near the start of Sky's move into the ISP market, they offered a discount to people who had more of their services. I suppose it was to tap into their large TV subscriber numbers and get them onto their BB.

This stopped quite a while ago now (and that article is over 4 years old) and there is no longer a different price no matter how few/many of Sky's services you take.

It was no different to BT's current policy of giving their BB customers £5 off their sim only offers.

I am assuming though that even with you not getting a £5 discount, that the price for BB was still competitive or you would have found an alternative supplier?
  • aweeks_2
    aweeks_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    I am assuming though that even with you not getting a £5 discount, that the price for BB was still competitive or you would have found an alternative supplier?

TBH no, there are much better deals out there, the ONLY reason I have stuck with Sky is because I have been trying to move (and don't want to sign a new 12 month or longer contract with anyone else... BUT I did just find that I can now get 4G broadband from Three (Homefi) which would allow me to 'take my broadband with me'!

So just cancelled my Sky, I will be paying a LOT LESS for Homefi (1/3rd less!) and can take it with me abroad too at no extra cost!
  • aweeks_2
    First Anniversary
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    I'd say 40% refund was a good result! I also received notification like teddysmum above.

You say that because you had online billing you didn't notice this. Is this because you can't access your account for some technical reason that Sky can't solve (O2 seem to have this issue with my mums mobile account so she gets free paper billing) or just because you never looked at your bills? If the latter then I'd push harder for a full refund as well as free paper billing. If the former, well to be blunt, it's not Sky's fault you didn't check or notuce the notification.

No technical issue, and although I am VERY disappointed in Sky's business practices, I am not having a pop at you (or teddysmum).

Firstly I think that opt-out contract changes should not be allowed (and I will be complaining to Ofcom about this) the biggest issue I have had is that Sky have neglected to send me the email warning/asking me about this! So from my point of view Sky suddenly started charging me and extra £4 a month without even notifying me. I have asked them to provide me with the original email and they have failed to do this and I have searched my one and only personal email account (the only one Sky have ever used for me too) and nothing is there about this additional charge at all!

The amusing thing is that all Sky have been able to supply me with is a paper copy of the first bill that charged me the extra £4, which I would have had as an electronic bill.

To be fair to your response, yes I should have been regularly checking my bill, in case any additional and unannounced fees were added without my prior knowledge, and I would urge others to do this too regularly with Sky. But for a large company with a reputation you'd think this was beneath them!

Cut the cord now though and won't be going back, as mentioned Three have a really good deal and I can take my broadband with me, and I am no longer locked into my ADSL line (& line rental) will make the money back in savings in about 6 months!

Note: if you phone up Three you can get 100GB a month for £29 with a 24 month contract! Also Netflix is not counted against this limit either!
  • aweeks_2
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Also note, the 40% sounds good, but this is Sky we're talking about, so lot's of dodgy business practices again! The only 'refund' they will offer is from monthly discounts from my Sky bill i.e. you only get them if you remain a Sky customer for at least another 12 months!

I have not had a good experience with Sky in general (and if you check the Trustpilot reviews of sky.com, i'm not the only one! For example; when my connection was unusable last year it took them 4 months to fix the issue and they refuse to refund me or compensate me for loss of service in any way!
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No (and I have Sky ADSL)
    Checking past, now deleted emails, is no proof that you didn't get one because the retrieval system does not always pick them all up. (Outlook now only seems to pick up as far back as 01/01/2018)
  • aweeks_2
    First Anniversary
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Checking past, now deleted emails, is no proof that you didn't get one because the retrieval system does not always pick them all up. (Outlook now only seems to pick up as far back as 01/01/2018)

Depends on your email server and client settings. I keep all emails on both, and as it's Googlemail this is free, I have emails going back to 2008 when I first opened my account. I literally have every email Sky have ever sent me since they have been my broadband provider.

Further to this Sky cannot provide me with any evidence that they sent me an email in the first place, I have been requesting it and so far nothing has appeared!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure