Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes

Options

Comments

• PowerDev
    Options
    When you look at the email you will see that the Estimated Annual Cost is simply your current DDR multiplied by 12. It is not an estimate of your likely consumption over the year.

Applying the new rates, Summer times 6 then Winter times 6, simply adds up to that same Annual figure.

Outfox then propose to apply the High Winter DDR rate over the coming Winter period but have taken no account of the Credit you have accrued over the Summer (Apr to Sep 2018 inclusive) to pay for part of that Winter Period (Sep 2018 to Mar 2019 inclusive) .

Therefore

They are trying to charge you an excess amount for the current 12 month period (April 2018 to March 2019) which comes out roughly equal to the Credit you see on your latest Bill. They will actually be charging you twice for for the amount of Energy which could be bought by that excess payment.

So, I have simply gone back to Outfox (actually the Trading name of Foxglove Energy) and told them the attempt at excess charging is invalid. And to leave my DDR at the current level until March 2019. They can then drop the DDR to the Summer rate but only if the Regulator (OFGEM) determines that changing the DDR structure within the Contract period is valid.

Now....
    A DDR is a financial Instrument and we have a Merchant trying to charge twice for the same Goods.

I would be interested in Martiin's opinion as to whether this behaviour can be referred to the Financial Conduct Authority as well as to Energywatch!!
  • orangesnaps
    Options
    I have just gone through with a rep on their chat service and she confirmed to me that there are no exit fees for fixed tariff users who switched because of the direct debit changes. Now, I hope it's true & she isn't giving out misinformation.
    I am on a fixed tariff, it's the cheapest rate out of all the others but we will be switching as we don't trust the company anymore.
    I have requested for a refund of the credit that we have so we would probably wait for that before switching.
  • orangesnaps
    Options
    This is their reply:

"Our new DD set up is designed to mirror your consumption accurately and as a company who has always operated transparent and fair pricing we equally feel that customers should understand that their DD payments during winter should mirror their own consumption - otherwise who will fund it? The whole idea of this DD is hopefully we should not have to ring you during the winter to demand a payment on your bill because you will already be covered so you will not see that constant need of topping up. The company’s policy is being implemented for all our customers across the board and I hope you can see the benefit of this more dynamic and responsible DD and decide to stay with us as we are still offering you very competitive pricing and great service alongside this."

I would understand this if my account wasn't in credit but because it's got nearly £400 in credit, I see no reason for them upping the direct debit amount. I'm hoping they process the money back & not give us the run around but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Scatty
    Scatty Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just sent this. Totally peed off. Trouble is, they're still the lowest for me as I'm an incredibly low gas user.

Dear Sirs

I strongly object to the increase in my direct debit from £41.95 to £73.41. I moved to you as you had a low DD all year around.

You also think I'm going to vastly increase my usage. I am a low to medium user.

Based on your calculations, £73.41 x 6 = £440.46 and £31.46 x 6 = £188.76. Add these together and divide by 12 months = £52.43. Why haven't you just put my DD up to that instead of £41.95, considering I am in credit to the tune of £127!

I would like my DD to be £52 a month but if you insist on whacking it up by £31.46 a month (totally destroying my carefully set household budget) then I would like my credit refunded to me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scatty wrote: »
    I've just sent this. Totally peed off. Trouble is, they're still the lowest for me as I'm an incredibly low gas user.

Dear Sirs

I strongly object to the increase in my direct debit from £41.95 to £73.41. I moved to you as you had a low DD all year around.

You also think I'm going to vastly increase my usage. I am a low to medium user.

Based on your calculations, £73.41 x 6 = £440.46 and £31.46 x 6 = £188.76. Add these together and divide by 12 months = £52.43. Why haven't you just put my DD up to that instead of £41.95, considering I am in credit to the tune of £127!

I would like my DD to be £52 a month but if you insist on whacking it up by £31.46 a month (totally destroying my carefully set household budget) then I would like my credit refunded to me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

If you do that, then a supplier’s usual response will be to increase your DD even more. What do the terms and conditions say about the account going into debt? Many suppliers will no longer allow this to happen.
  • Scatty
    Scatty Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    If you do that, then a supplier’s usual response will be to increase your DD even more. What do the terms and conditions say about the account going into debt? Many suppliers will no longer allow this to happen.

They won't reply to my email anyway so I'm not worried about them increasing my DD any more. If they do I shall simply cancel it until the credit is used up. I like their idea of no standing charge but my membership fee has crept up to the same amount so I've got nothing to lose by looking to move as I've had no end of trouble with them..
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
  • orangesnaps
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »

But the point is, people are already in credit and yet they want more money! Madness!
    I would understand if an account is in debit but most of the customers' accounts are in credit but a hundred pounds and more. My account is nearly £400 in credit and yet they still feel the need to increase the direct debit amount? How much more do they want?
    I thought Ofgem discourages companies having customer's in debt or in too much credit.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    But the point is, people are already in credit and yet they want more money! Madness!
    I would understand if an account is in debit but most of the customers' accounts are in credit but a hundred pounds and more. My account is nearly £400 in credit and yet they still feel the need to increase the direct debit amount? How much more do they want?
    I thought Ofgem discourages companies having customer's in debt or in too much credit.

I agree that there is no logic to OFTM’s approach to customers that are in credit. In makes sense for recent moves as they will have little credit to draw on.

I would suggest that you email consumeraffairs@ofgem.gov.uk with your concerns about what is going on. In my experience, Ofgem’s response is usually directly linked to the weight of correspondence that they receive.
  • cloudscape
    Options
    We switched to Economy 7 Energy on 9 October - at which point our estimated energy usage for the year was £1,400 - a dd of £118 per month. A couple of days ago I received an email from E7E saying they were changing their practice to implement 2 different dds over the year - a higher one for winter and a lower one for summer. I really don't want to pay this way - my budget is pretty tight and I need to know what I'm paying each month throughout the year, not be changing half way through. I received a response from E&E to say that I might not like it at first but I'd get used to it and come to appreciate it!
    I've now received an email giving me 10 days notice that they are increasing my estimated usage to £1700 per annum (what's happened since 9 October to justify that?) and changing my dds to £206 pcm in the winter and £88 in the summer. There is no option to continue paying at the same rate throughout the year and no option to pay on bills instead of by dd. So - an extra £88 to find next month , just before Christmas. Despite having just moved to E7E I will be leaving them just as soon as I can.
    Energy Saving Expert - is there anything you can do about this increasingly prevalent change to variable dd over the year? As can be seen from this thread many of us rely on certainty of the same level payments throughout the year to manage our budgets.
  • innkeeperlee
    Options
    Is Outfoxthemarket in financial difficulties?

They are looking to increase direct debits by nearly 50% so that there are on “bill shocks” quote, This is a load of bull as they have already worked out what the direct debit should be to cover the energy costs.
    The only logical conclusion for this action is that the company is short of cash.
    You comments would be appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport