🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes

Options

Comments

• RichGit
    Options
    I have spoken to an advisor at OFGEM. They have had a LOT of calls regarding this six-month division/change.
    I am on a fixed price/term contract and I am told they cannot make this change for my supply.
    They have a department dealing with this specific issue - hooray! But in the meantime I have been advised to write to the parent company Foxglove and get them to fix it.
    Good luck everybody.
  • markipad
    markipad Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 November 2018 at 6:12PM
    Options
    I see OTM have posted something on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/Outfoxthemarket/
  • Frustation
    Options
    Just noticed MSE just posted on the blog that not only are we got the inconvenience of (illegal?) variable rate DD but they are also sneaking in a price rise too��
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,897 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Megalodon wrote: »
    I'm with Fischer Energy, which appears to operate from the same premises as OTM. My DD is also rising by around £50 per month over winter. Tried calling but "all lines are busy". No reply from emails yet. Previous energy suppliers have not worried about building up a surplus.
    Wonder if my bank can refuse the rise if I ask them?

Fisher Energy is the are the owners of OFTM
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• bye_bye_band_G
    Options
    As I'm in credit to the tune of £252 while, like others, they want to increase my DD from £82 to £143, I intended just to cancel my Direct Debit and use up some of this credit, after all , they can't cut off my supply. My first question on web chat therefore was - is there a charge for a failed DD?
    I was surprised that the answer is yes - £5.
    Not sure what to do now. I don't have any faith I'll see my credit of £252 returned to me any time soon, they must be swamped with people asking for their credit back. And I actually can't even pay them £143 without the return of that credit - I'm a pensioner.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Frustation wrote: »
    (illegal?) variable rate DD
    Variable rate DD is perfectly legal as long as they inform you about the amount in advance.
  • Pete99
    Pete99 Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if people would have a claim for compensation if OutFox take the massively increased DD from someone's account putting it in overdraft, there doesn't seem to be any way to stop them taking the money because it takes around 21 days to switch to another supplier and they've given us 10 working days, and there also doesn't appear to be any limit as to how much they can take, this doesn't just apply to OutFox as other smaller suppliers seem to be doing the same thing.
  • Pete99
    Pete99 Posts: 128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if Ofgem are aware and what they think about the practice, and wouldn't they also be regulated by the Financial Services Authority as to what they can and can't do with customers money.
  • Dad_Deep_Pockets
    Options
    In a story worthy of a Black Adder plot I smell a business model collapse. OTM fearing they cannot afford the hike in Wholesale energy have devised a cunning plan, with the cunning fox from the University of cunning. Why not tell all our customers we are raising their direct debits by 75% over the Christmas period and see if they notice? Its for their own good so I'm sure they'll understand.
    Well we did, we understood you have no idea of the power of the consumer. I and many others have switched and by god am I cancelling my direct debit now. In breach of contract yes, but looking at social media I think they will be lucky to be solvent by Friday next week.
    Queue Black Adder credits .........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family