Monarch in trouble again...

Options

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 2 October 2017 at 5:51AM
    Options
    Monarch Airlines has been placed into administration and all flights from the UK have been cancelled and will not be rescheduled, accountants KPMG said on Sunday night.

The Civil Aviation Authority said it had launched a programme to bring 110,000 Monarch Airlines customers back to the UK in response to the airline being placed into administration, which also leaves 300,000 future bookings cancelled.

The Guardian
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 2 October 2017 at 6:05AM
    Options
    Monarch has confirmed that the following companies have ceased trading and now entered administration:
    • Monarch Airlines Ltd
    • Monarch Holidays Ltd (ATOL Number 2275)
    • First Aviation Ltd (ATOL Number 4888) previously trading as Monarch Airlines
    • Avro Ltd (ATOL Number 1939)
    • Somewhere2stay Ltd
    As a result, we are sorry to inform you that, as of 2 October 2017, all future holidays and flights provided by these companies have been cancelled and are no longer operating.

This is an unprecedented situation and because there are up to 110,000 passengers abroad, the UK Government has asked the CAA to coordinate flights back to the UK for all Monarch customers currently overseas. These new flights will be at no extra cost to you.
    If you are already abroad you will find all the information you need about your new flight on this website.

If you are due to depart from a UK airport with Monarch Airlines today or in the future, please do not travel to your UK airport as your flight will not be operating.
    Customers already abroad

If you are currently abroad and due to return to the UK on or before 15 October 2017 we are making arrangements for you to return home to the UK on a new flight, at the end of your holiday. These new flights will be at no extra cost to you.

We will of course prioritise vulnerable passengers, including unaccompanied minors, and make sure that family groups travel on the same flights.

For further advice and details of your new flight please read I am currently abroad.

If you are currently abroad and due to return to the UK after this date, please read the additional information section.

Customers yet to travel out of the UK

We are sorry to inform you that all future holidays and flights booked with Monarch are now cancelled as of 2 October 2017.

If you are booked on a Monarch Airlines flight, please do not go to your UK airport, as your flight will not be operating.

Further information is available at I have a future booking and have not travellled yet.

CAA

monarch.caa.co.uk
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What a great shame. Such a long established British airline leaving our skies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41464934
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that informative post worldtraveller. From that it would seem that the CAA are organising repatriation for ALL Monarch customers overseas and not just those covered with ATOL protection (packages and those flight-only ones sold when they still offered ATOL on sales).
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Remind me to ignore all posts by bagand96.........very poor judgement shown.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One of my friends is planning to go home with Monarch later on today. As she is asleep now, I have texted her new flight details, but, instead of landing in Birmingham, its Gatwick. The CAA are paying for the transfer to Birmingham. So she won't be at Birmingham until 3am. Good job, she's not at work til Thursday.

The website to check your new flight home is very simple to follow, click on the airport you are flying from. then the date - normally up to 2 days in advance then click on the flight you were meant to be on.
    https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-am-currently-abroad/my-new-flight/
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's sad news....we always used them and always had really good service.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Remind me to ignore all posts by bagand96.........very poor judgement shown

Yup. I got it wrong. I’ve no big issue coming back here and saying that.

I stand by what I said two days ago regarding the press and their reporting. Don’t forget the CAA blew £25million a year ago by chartering aircraft for this event and it never happened. The situation at the end of last week was different to now and the Monarch story could have played out in a number of different ways this weekend. Happy to admit also that a part of it was a good dose of not wanting it to be true. Whatever anyone thought of Monarch, their demise is a bad day for the U.K. industry and U.K. passengers.

Seems an unprecedented move by CAA / Government to decide to repatriate everyone, regardless of ATOL protection or not (remember the majority of Monarch passengers abroad are not ATOL protected)

Thoughts are with peoples who’s forthcoming holidays are disrupted, but above all else the staff at Monarch. Who had no part to play in this mess but now find themselves jobless.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm impressed with the arrangements and how much info the CAA have put out so quickly.
    Disappointing news for many but at least no-one should be left wondering.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business