Mary Berry Christmas Cake Mix - Tesco's - NOW £2!!

Options

Comments

• Miss_Laid
    Miss_Laid Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    Options
    photo0101hn.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thats my effort I even made the bow myself :)
    Anyone can cuddle but only the Welsh can cwtch :)
  • mandragora_2
    Options
    Picked up the cake pack for £2 here today - several left on the shelves. I wasn't going to bother making one this year, but at that price, you can't go wrong! Up and at em early tomorrow.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • chardonnay_2
    Options
    i split the mix to make 2 smaller cakes. it smells lovely but slightly concerned it says not to open oven until 3.5 hours but it smells ready just now after 2.5 hours. does making smaller cakes take less cooking time?
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • mandragora_2
    mandragora_2 Posts: 2,611 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 December 2011 at 2:59PM
    Options
    chardonnay wrote: »
    i split the mix to make 2 smaller cakes. it smells lovely but slightly concerned it says not to open oven until 3.5 hours but it smells ready just now after 2.5 hours. does making smaller cakes take less cooking time?
    Well, I guess by now you've found out, one way or the other. I'd imagine it would, but I'm hopeless at timing on big fruit cakes, hence my initial promise not to bake one this year - but at £2 + butter/eggs, and the Cake God writing instructions down for me, you can't really go wrong, can you??! Hope yours turned out ok, anyhow.

I'm just off to check mine - it's into its fourth and a half hour - it was a bit damp on top still after 4 hours.... see what I mean about timing??:rotfl:

UPDATE: Just taken it out of the oven - so far so good - looks fab, smells lovely. I will 'unwrap it' in half an hour.
    Reason for edit? Can spell, can't type!
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    I have made a Mary Berry cake. It is just a lovely memory now but I do have another mix to do in the New Year.

I got a Delia one today, free with a voucher from Waitrose and was surprised to find no marzipan, icing or apricot jam in the box. Looks as if the Mary Berry one is better value especially as the Delia one is still £5.
  • shug1067
    Options
    Just got one in Coatbridge for £1!!!
  • michele-p
    Options
    I have a cupcake pack to make for when my parents arrive on boxing day. Does anyone who has made them think they'll be OK to make tomorrow (when I have more time ironically) or should I make them on boxing day before they arrive for the best results?
  • peaceandfreedom
    Options
    Just wanted to add that my Mary Berry Christmas cake was totally delicious - I'm really very pleased with it. Did the snow scene on top and decorated with a nice ribbon and some Christmas cake decorations. It was yummy!

Next year though I will do marzipan over the entire cake and do it in good time so it has time to dry out. Ditto the icing.

Bargain though, I must say, worked out very well.
    :T
  • izzeyb
    izzeyb Posts: 5,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Just wanted to add that my Mary Berry Christmas cake was totally delicious - I'm really very pleased with it. Did the snow scene on top and decorated with a nice ribbon and some Christmas cake decorations. It was yummy!

Next year though I will do marzipan over the entire cake and do it in good time so it has time to dry out. Ditto the icing.

Bargain though, I must say, worked out very well. :T

I've bought another pack today, I am going to make one for Easter Sunday (we usually have a few round) and put little chicks and easter decs on it.
  • Miss_Laid
    Miss_Laid Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to make another 1 and leave it for a while to mature as I found this one to be a little bit *light* for my tastes I like a really rich fruit cake, but for the price its amazing the 7 I have will be made into celebration cakes during the year
    Anyone can cuddle but only the Welsh can cwtch :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure