urgent sat nav help

Options

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've broken my satnav :( and need it for Thursday :eek:
    I love the way for some the whole world seems to fall in if they haven't got access to their beloved sat nav. How on earth did we ever cope before :D
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I love the way for some the whole world seems to fall in if they haven't got access to their beloved sat nav. How on earth did we ever cope before :D

I wasn't a single parent in those days :D

Have you tried driving on your own with no passenger to help navigate whilst at the same time having to 'entertain' a child in the back who is constantly talking and somehow has the knack of speaking even more as soon as you get to a difficult junction and doesn't understand/appreciate the fact I need him to be quiet as I have to concentrate.

Its bad enough driving with child and satnav. Without child in car yes I could probably (just) ,manage but wouldn't enjoy it.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Thanks all I went for a tom tom start 25 in the end as this was the cheapest. I don't need anything fancy just something that gets me there and back.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm sure it will do you fine.

Good luck!
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    I love maps. In fact, I collect maps and can't bear to throw them away, as the bookshelf in my hallway shows. And I can use them too. Compass bearings, dead reckoning, aiming off, contouring, handrails, all that stuff. For anywhere off the beaten track, I wouldn't be without one.

But I also love my satnav. The ability to sit back and concentrate on driving a long journey without having to route-find is a blessing, and for reaching an unfamiliar destination, especially in city traffic, I think there are massive safety benefits. No more road atlas on the passenger seat, requiring your full attention just as the traffic lights change! In the OP's position, I would be keen to get my hands on one, just for peace of mind and a (relatively) relaxed trip.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried driving on your own with no passenger to help navigate whilst at the same time having to 'entertain' a child in the back who is constantly talking and somehow has the knack of speaking even more as soon as you get to a difficult junction and doesn't understand/appreciate the fact I need him to be quiet as I have to concentrate.

:rotfl: amazingly we had children in the olden days as well as no sat nav - they didn't even have car seats / seat belts :rotfl:
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What is all this "In the good old days we..." Is it possible to live without a Satnav? Of course but why would (or should) you choose to? They are reasonably good at sorting out routes, making changes and getting you to the front door. Presumably if you look at other sub-forums you will see people hankering after irons you put on the fire, steam radios, red flags in front of cars and coal fires!
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Indout96 wrote: »
    :rotfl: amazingly we had children in the olden days as well as no sat nav - they didn't even have car seats / seat belts :rotfl:

True I remember those days where I was a child.

My mother would sit in the front seat it would be her job to navigate and keep me occupied, I can still remember the rows if she missed to tell my Dad to take a turning, by the time she had realised this, sometimes we would be miles in the wrong direction cue the fanatic looking at the map to see how to get back on track, why would anyone want to go back to that?

It is now sadly more common to be a single parent, when maps were more common on a family outing generally there would be two adults in the car, one to keep the child(ren) occupied, the other left to concentrate solely on driving.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I will admit I do find it more difficult to drive in an unknown area with the constant distractions from a child. We are going away for the weekend, if purchasing a another sat nav makes it a much more enjoyable drive and holiday for both of us I really can't see what the problem is with that.

If I really had to I could manage without one, it would involve stress for both of us, me having to drive/navigate at the same time, and son being told off and having to remain quiet for most of the journey. Personally I would rather spend a few quid to avoid that, it is suppose to be a holiday not an ordeal.

Whilst I do remember maps when I was a child and could read one if forced to, most of my driving life (all of it since I had a child) there had been sat navs widely available, it is what I am used to.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Indout96 wrote: »

In the "olden days", cars didn't have power steering, heating and aircon, power assisted brakes etc and many houses didn't have central heating, indoor toilets, washing machines, microwaves, computers and a host of other aids and devices.

Does this mean that because people managed without all of these in the past, you would be happy to live without all of these today?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure