urgent sat nav help

Options
I've broken my satnav :( and need it for Thursday :eek:

I need to get another one tomorrow / Wednesday so nothing nothing online.

I was looking at tom tom 25 but I can't see from the pictures if it shows you the road you are currently on and the next road required?

Ideally I would like one that has the option for the easiest route ie one that takes you via main roads even it is is a bit longer.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 9:40PM
    Options
    I've broken my satnav :( and need it for Thursday :eek:

I need to get another one tomorrow / Wednesday so nothing nothing online.

I was looking at tom tom 25 but I can't see from the pictures if it shows you the road you are currently on and the next road required?

Ideally I would like one that has the option for the easiest route ie one that takes you via main roads even it is is a bit longer.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Halfords & Argos are probably your best options, although you could order from Amazon on next day delivery.

I think all sat navs these days show you the current road and prepare you for the upcoming junctions. Plus you can set your road preferences.

I'm more of a Garmin man personally. This is where my money would be at the TomTom 25 price point...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5719839.htm

Or this one from Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/technology/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/garmin-nuvi-57lm-5-sat-nav-with-uk-ireland-lifetime-map
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,998 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you not have a smart phone?. There's a free app on my iphone (and is imagine on android as well) that's easier to follow than google maps. You can choose fastest route, shortest route, or to avoid motorways completely. It generally gives you three options. Works for me.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    Having bought a £100 Garmin last year I would advise that you download Waze or use google maps on your smartphone. I've never had a less user-friendly device since my Samsung D710.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you both

the garmin screen is more familiar to what I am used to (my previous on was a mio).

What I liked about the tom tom was the feature you can press on a road and it would take you via that route plus it remembers the route you took previously. I often start driving in another direction to the sat nav as I know the general main road I want to go via, then on the way back I am stuck going down the narrow B roads it takes me via as its 10 minutes quicker.

I do have a smart phone but I only have a very limited data plan. I don't have a dash mount for it and the screen is a bit small :(
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,011 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesco have just given me a code for £25 off Garmin Drive. PM me if that will help.
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    TomTom app for iPhone is what I use. Covers me for the whole of Western Europe, works a treat! Only cost £35 with free updates for life. I see they have since changed to "TomTom Go", not sure how it compares though.
  • mrspurp751
    Options
    I would also avoid Garmin, we put up with it for two years, nightmare tried to take us off road down dead end tracks and woe betide you miss a turn, it'll do all it can to put you back to where should have turned off no matter the setting!!

Used our new tomtom for first time, wish had got one in first place, screen was a bit weird to start with but soon got used to it, I missed a turning, no turn around, it instantly changed the route to suit no fuss at all and crikey it was quick!! Considering bought the top Garmin one and have regularly updates it too so was fresh, the tomtom leaves it trailing.

We bought the tomtom 50 start, was half price at Argos :)

Failing that most phones have Google maps ability in an emergency, it's actually quite good :)
  • mrspurp751
    Options
    Should be had it (Garmin) regularly updated sorry auto correct lol!!
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd get the cheapest Tomtom. It will do everything you need. I've had two Tomtoms and both were very easy to use. I've tried Garmins and didn't get on with them at all. A lot of it is what you are used to, but TT's route-finding is way superior in my experience. Plenty around under £100.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • bob_a_builder
    Options
    but I only have a very limited data plan.
    Many of the Phone sat-nav apps can be set to work in off line mode so no data wasted

Just a couple ..
    Here
    Google Maps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills