MSE recommends a dud!

Robisere
Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
So MSE is offering me a switch to Economy Energy: a company with 79% Poor reviews and is being investigated by Ofgen! Saving me £56 a year and probably costing me unknown problems later. No thanks, I'll hang on for EDF's next tariff change.

Does anyone here actually check this stuff?
I think this job really needs
a much bigger hammer.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No one is forcing you to take any MSE recommendation, of course, or to accept the "79% poor" reviews! :p
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    MSE gives you information rather than recommendations, it's up to you to make up your own mind.

Plenty of people are happy to take a risk to get a cheaper deal whereas others might want to play it safe (or think they are) and go with one of the bigger players.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    matelodave wrote: »
    MSE gives you information rather than recommendations, it's up to you to make up your own mind.

Plenty of people are happy to take a risk to get a cheaper deal whereas others might want to play it safe (or think they are) and go with one of the bigger players.

I wholeheartedly agree, but MSE CEC ‘top picks’ and supplier endorsements are seen by some as carrying the full endorsement of the founder of this site. Personally, I treat MSE CEC supplier endorsements as I would Radio 4 Today programme racing tips.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hengus wrote: »
    MSE CEC ‘top picks’ and supplier endorsements are seen by some as carrying the full endorsement of the founder of this site.
    Martin Lewis sold this site to Money Supermarket a few years back, so there is now nothing here fully endorsed by the founder.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Did everyone miss the "...being investigated by Ofgen..." bit?

Isn't that a Red Flag?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    OP - you missed the red warning MSE has on this company's section in the CEC:

WARNING: Economy Energy's marketing and telesales practices are currently being probed by Ofgem.

(Includes a direct link to this page: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2016/09/economy-energy-probed-by-ofgem-over-selling-practices?_ga=2.135841590.620642780.1528622417-1191508401.1510402543 )
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 June 2018 at 9:21PM
    Martin Lewis sold this site to Money Supermarket a few years back, so there is now nothing here fully endorsed by the founder.

At the top of this website: MoneySavingExpert.com - Founder and Chair Martin Lewis. Sold - yes.

And ML!!!8217;s photo is still on the top left hand side of the index/news page.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hengus wrote: »
    At the top of this website: MoneySavingExpert.com - Founder and Chair Martin Lewis. Sold - yes.
    Matin Lewis still earns a handsome retainer for the use of his name and image, but other than that he no longer has any involvement in the site.

"Chair" is not an active position and is akin to being "executive producer" on a movie.

This is not a secret. This site belongs to Money Supermarket.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As this is one of only two websites I've visited today that doesn't have adverts blaring at me I don't care who the owner is. It's the individuals that make the forums work, not ML.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • [Deleted User]
    Xbigman wrote: »
    this is one of only two websites I've visited today that doesn't have adverts blaring at me
    You need advertisement blocking software.

I'm sure "Martin Lewis" recommends some ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure