GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    That's not how it works. The new supplier should handle the transfer entirely, providing the "losing" supplier with your opening read to ensure an accurate handover. That's the theory anyway!

sorry thought it was the other way around.
  • backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    There are agreed limits in respect of the readings provided by the consumer and the third-party. Outwith these limits (for example, 125CM3s for gas), an industry dispute can be raised.

I don't understand the above. The OP (mrreadie) states an opening meter reading was used which produced a closing bill with the previous supplier that was dramatically wrong.

The independent third party should be making the process more accurate rather than producing spurious results. The same thing happened to me recently where after I submitted a reading, a spurious figure was concocted which resulted in an error of around 2,000 Kwh .My consumption, albeit high, is consistent and has been for around 20 years at the property.They are interfering and making things much worse.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 24 April 2016 at 10:01AM
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »
    I don't understand the above. The OP (mrreadie) states an opening meter reading was used which produced a closing bill with the previous supplier that was dramatically wrong.

The independent third party should be making the process more accurate rather than producing spurious results. The same thing happened to me recently where after I submitted a reading, a spurious figure was concocted which resulted in an error of around 2,000 Kwh .My consumption, albeit high, is consistent and has been for around 20 years at the property.They are interfering and making things much worse.

What I am saying is that there is an agreed meter readings disputes procedure which can be initiated on the request of the customer and/or the supplier. To ensure that this procedure is not misused, the industry has set limits for the initiation of a dispute. For example, I switched to Ovo last year and provided them with a gas meter reading on the day of the switch. My reading was ignored and the agreed reading was 105CM3s /1176kWhs out in favour of the losing supplier. A dispute could not be raised. It took three months to reach the 'opening reading' during which time I paid standing charges only. The difference in cost to me was about £2.50. Gas is problematical given the use of IGTs and the fact that the historical data (Annual Quantity) is only updated once per year. Frequent switching of suppliers doesn't help.

I am not defending the system just passing on how it was explained to me. The solution is SMETS2 smart meters which are not yet available for installation.

From the document relating to Electricity:

The Supplier contacted by the Customer, or wishing to raise a dispute on their own behalf (the “Initiating Supplier”) should consider the specific circumstances relating to the dispute.

Where the difference between the Supplier’s view of consumption and that derived from the initial MRoCoS is 250 kWh (250 units) or less, the Supplier shall not dispute the meter reading unless the Customer specifically requests a new reading, but should attempt to resolve the dispute with an accommodation e.g. cash allowance to the Customer, thus retaining the initial MRoCoS used for Settlements. No further action is then required.

Where the customer is unwilling to accept an accommodation, or the difference between the Supplier’s view of consumption and that derived from the MRoCoS is more than 250 kWh (250 units) the Initiating Supplier should initiate a dispute.

When I last tried to initiate a readings dispute I was told that, in accordance with Industry Procedures, resolution could take up to 14 weeks

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/guide-to-meter-reading-disputes.html
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »
    I don't understand the above. The OP (mrreadie) states an opening meter reading was used which produced a closing bill with the previous supplier that was dramatically wrong....

The following information may assist you ;)

mrreadie
    Total Posts: 1
    Post made: 20-04-2016 10:20 PM
    Last Activity: 20-04-2016 10:20 PM

GB Energy Supply's Annual Performance
    Reporting Period: Jan-16
    Complaints Received: 93
    Complaints resolved: 93 (74% same or next working day)

Reporting Period: Feb-16
    Complaints Received: 201
    Complaints resolved: 201 (70% same or next working day)

Reporting Period: Mar-16
    Complaints Received: 211
    Complaints resolved: 211 (77% same or next working day)

:cool:
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    The following information may assist you ;)

mrreadie
    Total Posts: 1
    Post made: 20-04-2016 10:20 PM
    Last Activity: 20-04-2016 10:20 PM

GB Energy Supply's Annual Performance
    Reporting Period: Jan-16
    Complaints Received: 93
    Complaints resolved: 93 (74% same or next working day)

Reporting Period: Feb-16
    Complaints Received: 201
    Complaints resolved: 201 (70% same or next working day)

Reporting Period: Mar-16
    Complaints Received: 211
    Complaints resolved: 211 (77% same or next working day)

:cool:
    Nice bit of research/observation! :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• backfoot
    backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the comments which I take on board. It's not an area which I had ever experienced issues over previously and my comments only concerned the simple anomoly of the need for customers to submit opening reads on a switch and then ignoring them.

Like Hengus, I had a differential with OVO on leaving them and another with NPower on a transfer away. Ironically, I am a diligent inputter of meter readings so there is an excellent history but I do switch quite regularly.I am not affected by IGT.

The process described should be picking up 'exceptions' where input errors or false readings have been used. It seems like an updated process has started to apply changes where none are justified. ??

Of course, the Npower error for me, may be something more to do with them, than this procedure as I am left with no continuity of readings..... No doubt they will correct it in due course :D
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    The website is a bit hit and miss!

I have a dual rate meter but I am on a single rate tariff. Reading 1 is the day usage and is large, Reading 2 is the night usage and relatively small - as to be expected.

When I enter readings in the 'Night' and 'Day' boxes its apparently going to the right place, I have spoken to their customer services twice and they confirm the correct value are showing under readings 1 and 2 on their system.

But on the meter reading webpage it say 'Day' next to the small 2 reading and 'Night' next to the large 1 reading.

Its really hard to explain this on the phone so I tried contacting them via their Facebook page as I could include a screenshot but they ignored me!

gb1.jpg
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • erutrepa1
    Options
    I've been paying my D/D monthly , though I had not received any bills.

I checked my account balance 2 weeks ago and it showed a credit approx £270, great I thought!!

I contacted them to initiate a credit transfer to me.

As if by magic 7 bills arrived overnight, and abracadabra I'm now, wait for in , approx £270 in arrears.....

I've started a complaint procedure against them and will follow this through to OfGem as I like to keep up to date with my bills, and now through their poor processes, and their claim, I am now in arrears, or owe them. Very very poor response initially telling me I should have kept an eye on my account....... I'll update with the final outcome, but I will not recommend GB Energy to anyone at this stage.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    erutrepa1 wrote: »
    I've been paying my D/D monthly , though I had not received any bills.

I checked my account balance 2 weeks ago and it showed a credit approx £270, great I thought!!

I contacted them to initiate a credit transfer to me.

As if by magic 7 bills arrived overnight, and abracadabra I'm now, wait for in , approx £270 in arrears.....

I've started a complaint procedure against them and will follow this through to OfGem as I like to keep up to date with my bills, and now through their poor processes, and their claim, I am now in arrears, or owe them. Very very poor response initially telling me I should have kept an eye on my account....... I'll update with the final outcome, but I will not recommend GB Energy to anyone at this stage.

Forgive me, but I am not sure what you are hoping to achieve? Have you been providing the supplier with regular meter readings? If not, then what made you think that your account was actually £270 in credit? Suppliers are required under the terms of their Supply Licence to read your meter once every 2 years. Remember, The Back Billing Code is based on the consumer making some attempts to get an accurate bill.
  • erutrepa1
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Forgive me, but I am not sure what you are hoping to achieve? Have you been providing the supplier with regular meter readings? If not, then what made you think that your account was actually £270 in credit? Suppliers are required under the terms of their Supply Licence to read your meter once every 2 years. Remember, The Back Billing Code is based on the consumer making some attempts to get an accurate bill.

Yes thank you for stating the obvious :T:T

Yes I supplied my meter readings on time, and online, and the Account Status £270 Credit on my Account Page ;-) led me to strongly believe I was in credit.

Their online system showed every meter reading I had submitted, but did not process them onto my payments/balance; this of course I could not see, as they hadn't, as per their terms & conditions & promises, had not supplied me with regular bills. TBH I wasn't concerned about the lack of bills, as my agreed D/D was being paid on time, and that should have covered the amount used, as I'm not home much, usage is very low.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure