Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry I'm am late starter in this discussion: could you expand ML and SVTs please?
    ML == Martin Lewis the Moneysavingexpert
    SVT == Standard Variable Tariff
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    @The HeatingEngineer @ Hengus,
    I'm with Hengus on on basically either the re-nationalised of G&E, or at least a Government-backed supplier that can negotiate best Futures contracts for energy, this based on the fact we are now reliant on Gas imports and electricity imports from France.

Further, @The Heating Engineer, you've stated quite a few are moaning without actually giving examples of costs structures - my posts on OFTM actually have included details of the Fixed deal I'm on and actual costs of both electricity and gas, which are far lower than what's presently on offer by any vendor UK-wide.

Suffice to say, my own concerns with OFTM have focused on those of us wise enough to take out Fixed term contacts and any changes to said Contracts that would increase costs - hence, the imposition of standing charges as threatened on Thursday would constitute both a Breach of Contract and instance of Miss-Selling, in which case the law is on the consumers side, not only that, you can go for compensation as well, which is what I'd initiate if they increase Terms agreed in March this year.

Apart from that, economically its madness to move away from present contract with OFTM and I hope they survive until April, after that costs drop as winter is over, so changing becomes a viable option and not before.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A common theme in this thread is to mention the price increases but no one is presenting the actual figures; the actual change in their predicted annual costs.

I have just used the usual MSE Cheap Energy Club tool (again) to check for changes to my costs since switching on the 27th Nov and there was no better deal available. It would have been annoying if there had been a change.

I agree that it's a nuisance when prices rise but I wonder if contributors are calculating how much the rise will really cost them? If the cost increase is significant then surely that is the point at which a switch is considered, not spending time and energy (no pun...) getting upset? Clearly the cost of a switch would be increased if there is an exit fee, but that can be offset against 'savings' from the switch, where 'savings' may be 'the least increase'.

I may be missing something but if there is a price hike and another supplier is shown to be cheaper from that point onwards, then surely it's just a case of switching again? Yes it's a nuisance but it seems to be a largely problem-free process now, and it would save many I have noticed from becoming so distressed. Life is short, so spending time fighting the system seems such a waste.

OFTM IMHO have conned me into paying £11.80/£10.99 a month. Yet I calculated my yearly usage including gas as just 3200kWh. I got an email today asking for a meter read so decided to do the annual usage calculation on my Britiish gas smart meter, has I moved while I was on their free time tarrif, the meter reading for the year is 2496 as of today. I move in 12 days so will just be in the £8.99/£9.66 fee band. That is what I calculated so in screwing up my monthly fee was increased. they made the assumption I would use 4030kWh, where they got that from I have no idea. The electric reading has kWh after the reading so I presume there is no conversion to do to work out kWh's. If not then they have conned me out of around £10 since the error was partly my fault with not giving them the Act 1 import reading but the total reading as that is how I used to read the meters before they, British Gas, put in a smart meter. They now take the free time reading but still manage to work out a reasonable bill every month with the figures more like the Act 1 reading.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • TheHeatingEngineer
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    ML == Martin Lewis the Moneysavingexpert
    SVT == Standard Variable Tariff
    Appreciated...
  • TheHeatingEngineer
    Options
    editor1 wrote: »
    I'm ... on basically either the re-nationalised of G&E, or at least a Government-backed supplier that can negotiate best Futures contracts for energy, this based on the fact we are now reliant on Gas imports and electricity imports from France.

So perhaps the Brits need to ask why we need to do this and start analysing cause and effect. Trying to the maintain the status quo is continuing the process of digging ourselves into a deeper hole. So I suggest we ask "Why...?" Why are we buying from France (I mean is this not a national security risk? - If France pull the plug then the Brits have a problem the likes of which make my Mum's austerity in WWII look like a walk in the park). THen for example - Q:why do we need so much energy? And perhaps - A: THere are that many people. So then Q: Why have we allowed the population to grow out of control? A:????? (and no, I'm not aiming at immigration - I'm just pointing to the obvious - there are too many of us here...)
    Suffice to say, my own concerns with OFTM have focused on those of us wise enough to take out Fixed term contracts...

Perhaps people don't realise the danger of going with a VT? This is an open door for legitimate price hikes. So I wonder why users choosing such a tariff would be surprised at cost increases? This apparent behaviour seems naive to me.

At least if it's a fixed tariff there is some protection against price rises. And in the sense that the sum of the OFTM winter / summer monthly payments equal the contracted estimated annual total, there is no need to be anguished about the 40% winter increase because there will be a 40% decrease in summer. The weakness in the OFTM strategy is that it's fine for them but for any customers without the funds to pay the 40% extra in the winter, they will struggle to survive to the summer and the 40% lower payments.

I take the point about OFTM possibly / probably (?) breaching their contract. This is maybe a case for OFGEM? It maybe a bit much for even a group of customers to take on? All power to your elbow if you have the time and funds...
    Apart from that, economically it's madness to move away from present contract with OFTM ...

I may have missed something here. If a calculation shows that the cost from now for the next year is cheaper than OFTM then the time of switching I would think is not a decision-making factor. The winter/summer charge differential does not affect the annual cost or have I missed something?
  • alittleowl
    Options
    This thread is supposed to be a forum for those of us negatively affected by OFtM's direct debit changes but it's been hijacked by smug, condescending and "I'm alright Jack pull the ladder up" men about renationalising the energy sector. Mocking people for being stressed about a failing energy company desperately trying to grab cash from us just before Christmas is in _no_ way helpful, it just adds to our distress. "Those of us wise enough to take out fixed term contracts..." "ridiculously life-wasting arguments going on here..." "It's lead to the situation where mums have to work, the kids are pushed into day-care instead of being looked after at home" Really? REALLY??? Hey, here's some news, it's 2018 not 1954, so take your pointless sexist patronising hand-wringing elsewhere, this is a thread for discussing OFtM DD changes. Hengus has offered useful advice and clarification, the rest of you, i.e. TheHeatingEngineer and Editor1 should save your outdated boring opinions for the pub (or start a new thread on the topic) and leave those of us who are struggling through no fault of our own with OFtM DD changes to discuss the topic of the thread.
  • TheHeatingEngineer
    Options
    IMHO it appears that you have been mucked about by OFTM. But surely your way through this one is to write out a detailed calculation of usage and costs and present this to OFTM for a refund?

I would recommend-:
    a) Asking them to tell you how long they will take to confirm your calculations and...
    b) You waiting to make a decision about using the small claims court and OFGEM depending on the level of cooperation you get, and...
    c) Being factual in your correspondence and leaving out all signs of annoyance no matter how much they deserve a punch on the nose.
    HTH
  • TheHeatingEngineer
    Options
    alittleowl wrote: »
    This thread is supposed to be a forum for those of us negatively affected by OFtM's direct debit changes...
    I'm sorry you read these posts like that. I have a right to an opinion and I think have not maligned anyone here. You don't know me and have no justification for your comments. If you think that it's best for mums to work becasue they have to and for kids to miss out on a family experience as a result then I have to respect your right to say that but I believe the opposite. And I mention this as one symptom of the state of our society that has resulted in this thread.

As for me "mocking" - it seems you seem to be alone in that view of my comments.

I am equally interested in side-stepping any attempt by a supplier to change our contracts unilaterally. I would expect that any person able to follow the arguments in this thread would see that many are struggling to find a way forward. My comments have been totally directed to that aim.

I see that people are struggling. I say "do the calculations and side-step the struggle". If you don't know how then don't attack those clearly making reasonable suggestions but ask how those suggestions relate to your situation and you may get some help.

And as it happens, if you are mum with youngsters, are you not interested in the wider problem of how YOU are going to change society so that your kids don't have to suffer what many seem to be suffering now?
  • bs7
    bs7 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    alittleowl wrote: »
    This thread is supposed to be a forum for those of us negatively affected by OFtM's direct debit changes but it's been hijacked by smug, condescending and "I'm alright Jack pull the ladder up" men about renationalising the energy sector. Mocking people for being stressed about a failing energy company desperately trying to grab cash from us just before Christmas is in _no_ way helpful, it just adds to our distress. "Those of us wise enough to take out fixed term contracts..." "ridiculously life-wasting arguments going on here..." "It's lead to the situation where mums have to work, the kids are pushed into day-care instead of being looked after at home" Really? REALLY??? Hey, here's some news, it's 2018 not 1954, so take your pointless sexist patronising hand-wringing elsewhere, this is a thread for discussing OFtM DD changes. Hengus has offered useful advice and clarification, the rest of you, i.e. TheHeatingEngineer and Editor1 should save your outdated boring opinions for the pub (or start a new thread on the topic) and leave those of us who are struggling through no fault of our own with OFtM DD changes to discuss the topic of the thread.

Perfectly put!!!!

As for me "mocking" - it seems you seem to be alone in that view of my comments.

Nope. I share that view of your unhelpful comments.

Of particular note was your comment - "This is a prime example of needing to take heed of all the professional consumer advice that's around these days" and then actually giving misleading and arguable incorrect advice!!
  • alittleowl
    Options
    I repeat: "this thread is supposed to be a forum for those of us negatively affected by OFtM's direct debit changes..." It's not rocket science, the thread is titled "Outfox The Market Direct Debit changes" not "old blokes down the pub discuss what the Daily Express tells them to think about 21st century life and wasn't Maggie Thatcher great? Remember how great it was when we could smoke at work and there were all those factories belching out fumes and we never used disinfectant and we were lucky to get a slice of bread and dripping once a week but no one got ill and what is it today with all these allergies? Never had them our day. Blah blah blah..."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure