PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Trying to use up some odd and ends from the fridge. What's left of a YS celery while be blitzed up in the blender with some old carrots and a couple of onions to make the base of a cottage pie. 2 wrinkly old apples have been diced up to make some spiced apple and prune muffins for DS1. The recipe called for buttermilk but I have used a well past its best lemon to sour some milk instead as I never use the whole tub of buttermilk normally so can't warrant the price. Really trying to cut back on our grocery spend for this year. It's one of our resolutions for 2019!
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I made some gingerbread men for Christmas and then froze the left over ones and I'm trying to think what I can use them in, a cheesecake base would be one idea but no plans to make one at any time soon and wondered if anyone had any more everyday ideas.

They were already getting a bit past their best, and while OH will eat old cake for pudding with custard, I can't see him liking biscuits like that, so I'm a bit stumped (no hurry to use them and I guess I they are still there next time i make a cheesecake, it would cut the cost down a bit )
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    why not smash them up as use as a crumble topping with some stewed fruit or even a strained tin of fruit cocktail ,dollop some custard on top It hides a multitude of odds and ends and few men dislike custard My late OH adored it with almost anything :).Big vat of carrot soup made for lunches this week and the last carton of soft cheese to use up with crackers from christmas as well so thats lunches sorted this week I shall freezer dive shortly to see what I can find for dinner tonght. Veg wise I still have a whole head of celery wrapped in foil a good sized cauliflower ,also in foil and plentry of tomatoes lettuce and two thirds of a cucumber in the fridge and about 7-8 spuds in the potato bag so more than enough for this week In my fruit bowl I have two bananas 7 navel oranges and over half a box of red grapes ,so again enough to last me this wee and a few good bagsful in the freezer.Looking through my cupboards I feel sure I need nothing at all this week so a week of NSD's ahead for me :)
    I like it when its like that, especially mid-January, as its a loooong month :)

I still have a tin of shortbread given to me as a present which I will save for next month when my team go to a big charity quiz ,we usually take some nibbles along with us so the shortbread will do fine on the table I feel sure my 7 fellow quizzers will help me out :):)

Hope you all have a good week and waste little

Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx
  • ninnoodle
    Options
    I made a big pan of cottage pie base, using 2 cans of edamame beans instead of peas. I wanted to use them up (I think I bought them for salads in the summer but it never happened). The result is OK - I prefer peas though and won't be making it again. The result was enough for 7 portions and I also mashed up a bag of potatoes for the topping. One portion I ate at the weekend, one will be for lunch today and the rest in the freezer.
    Dinner will be a smoothie - I've got almond milk to use up and a load of frozen berries.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2019 at 12:08PM
    Options
    I made jacket spuds for lunch yesterday wth assorted toppings (turkey mince in gravy leftovers, cheese and baked beans). I filled the oven by baking extra spuds and roasting a load of beetroots at the same time. While they were cooking I also set a big pan of soup on the go with all the bendy veg and a few handfuls of pearl barley. My mum always made a big chunky soup with barley in when I was little and I've always loved it.

So I've got lots of soup, roasted beetroot, baked potatoes, a portion of leftover pasta in spinach and marscapone sauce and two portions of leftover veggie chili and rice in my fridge that need using this week. I don't think I'm going to need to do any shopping that's for sure. Soup for lunch I think and maybe a roasted beetroot risotto for tea.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    why not smash them up as use as a crumble topping with some stewed fruit or even a strained tin of fruit cocktail ,dollop some custard on top It hides a multitude of odds and ends and few men dislike custard My late OH adored it with almost anything :).Big vat of carrot soup made for lunches this week and the last carton of soft cheese to use up with crackers from christmas as well so thats lunches sorted this week I shall freezer dive shortly to see what I can find for dinner tonght. Veg wise I still have a whole head of celery wrapped in foil a good sized cauliflower ,also in foil and plentry of tomatoes lettuce and two thirds of a cucumber in the fridge and about 7-8 spuds in the potato bag so more than enough for this week In my fruit bowl I have two bananas 7 navel oranges and over half a box of red grapes ,so again enough to last me this wee and a few good bagsful in the freezer.Looking through my cupboards I feel sure I need nothing at all this week so a week of NSD's ahead for me :)
    I like it when its like that, especially mid-January, as its a loooong month :)

I still have a tin of shortbread given to me as a present which I will save for next month when my team go to a big charity quiz ,we usually take some nibbles along with us so the shortbread will do fine on the table I feel sure my 7 fellow quizzers will help me out :):)

Hope you all have a good week and waste little

Cheers chums
    JackieO xxx

Great idea, thanks :) - I've got loads of stewed apples and blackberries in the freezer so that's a Sunday pudding for practically free :j:j My OH loves custard too :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Found a large pork chop in the freezer which I left out this morning to defrost and its cooking nicely at the moment, I shall have it with some steamed sweetheart cabbage and a couple of balls of mashed potato from the freezer and some gravy.

Getting a bit chilly tonight, and the cold weather from the continent is forecast sometime next week.I do hope the snow isn't too bad as I hate the stuff as it keeps me indoors.

I use a stick to walk with, so sliding around in the snow and ice is not a good idea ,especially at my age as I don't bounce very well.:)

No point going out and breaking something there are too few enough beds in our overworked hospitals as it is without me adding to the problem.

But at least I have lots of jigsaws, knitting and books to read so I can keep myself amused and no end of food in the cupboard and freezer,

I just hate being tied to the house when I normally am out every day
    Oh well it will either come or stay away I guess,

Have a good evening chums

JackieO xx
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think we've come to the end of our christmas and other excess stuff now. So not too bad at all - only the bits of cabbage and kale got chucked. Had a winter veg casserole from the freezer tonight, followed by the last of the cheese with oatcakes. DS used up some meatballs, with salsa and salad and the last of the tenderstem broccoli.

I have made stock with the chicken carcass from yesterday but will freeze it as I've nothing to make soup with right now - the stock will take less freezer space than individual soups in any case. i am now going to focus on getting the freezer down - again!!
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • marns
    marns Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2019 at 11:38AM
    Options
    JCS1 wrote: »
    Not sure if all Asda's, but my local one today has bags of parsnips, carrots and sprouts to clear each bag 7p.

Not quite as cheep but I think my local ASDA forgot to stop ordering so many parsnips after christmas....reduced to about 20p for a huge bag....made a big pan of curried parsnip (and one bendy carrot) soup. 6 very generous portions came in at under £2. I almost paid more for the bread! (but you have to have crusty bread for dunking in soup don't you).

I work in a chemist inside sainsburys and most of my shifts finish about 7pm and I have to wait almost an hour for the bus. There's also an ASDA at the other end of the shopping centre so I pick up a few bargins most weeks because I have nothing better to do for that hour than check the reductions in both stores...and I love a bargin!

I have also discovered if your a bit of a foodie like me interacting on social media with producers you like can get you free samples/discounts. I have posted pics of food/recipies using products and got free samples and reductions (I'm a regular at local food fairs so many producers know me and give me a discount anyway if I'm in my uniform working for St John Ambulance as well)

I don't post often but I love getting all your ideas on this forum!
  • ninnoodle
    Options
    That's awesome marns - wish I lived near a good supermarket. There's a co-op where I live and although there is a good rewards programme, it's an expensive shop. The YS items are hardly reduced at all - eg. a £1.75 bag of tatties reduced to £1.55! I get the occasional bargain though, especially if I can freeze it.
    Well, there was not enough oats left for my morning porridge today so I had some of the Alpen my boyfriend leaves at mine for him. Lunch is a portion of the tartiflette from earlier in the week and some sausages. Tonight's supper will be another smoothie - getting through the almond milk and frozen berries I seem to have grown and multiplied in my freezer!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback