* Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread

Options

Comments

• vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy Birthday Clumsy xxx:beer::beer::beer: I hope you have a lovely day.You are just a few days older than my DD.Good on you for getting a new phone,hope you finally get a real answer at the cardiologist appointment.

Peppa,I like you!:)

Free, i am just the same about making first contact.I even do it on here,thinking people don't want to know what I have to say.When we moved to this village i decided I had to change my ways or not get to know anyone.So I forced myself to message and call people.It seems to have gone ok as I now have a group of 4 friends that I never knew before.I am still the least communicative in the group though in txts and calls.I also NEVER visit people unless asked yet i love it if people call on me if they are passing.I don't know if I said that I went out to lunch with people I used to work with last week.I was surprised how pleased everyone was to see me.Its interesting what you said Kerri.It just goes to show you never really know how someone is feeling doesnt it.

Christmas seems such a long time ago now.You didn't miss much sales wise Free.

I aim to do more crafts this year too Peppa. I have made another cushion for DS in the welsh tapestry fabric and have almost knitted a baby blanket in some blue wool I have been given.My intention is to use up the supplies I already have.

I will have to shorten an evening dress for DD2 as she is going to a ball with her Dad.I don't want to go,another confidence thing.I would rather stop at home and give a party than go out.I went a couple of years ago and it's boring!

I am painting some drawers in our room today.They are light grey.With the new green curtains they suddenly look bright blue!

Vx
     :
  • Peppapig
    Peppapig Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Happy Birthday Clumsy :bdaycake:_party_. Being 25 is but a distant memory now :D

VULPIX I always love reading what you have to say even if it does make me feel lazy because you're always on the go. You've done amazingly well if you've had to force yourself to be sociable, it's something I've had to be stern with myself about too. Not that we have much if a social life but when a lady who was having chemo at the same time as me invited me to lunch with her little group of chemo/ex chemo ladies my instinct was not to go but DH pushed me a bit and I went. Now I'm glad I did because four of us meet up once a month for lunch and a chat and it's nice but I'd never have gone left to my own devices. I might even join a craft group or something one day. I definitely know the feeling of paint looking a different colour once you start using it!

3FORHOLIDAYS that's disappointing. I'm always worried about that happening when I buy gift tokens.

More sewing for me today, oh and I stewed some apple last night so I need to make crumble now. I love apple crumble, it's one of the few things that makes me actually want to cook :D
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year :
  • freespirit66
    freespirit66 Posts: 3,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, just quickly popped on as I have to do an online shop, we had a lovely afternoon yesterday, I got my sort of cuddle off of Thumper (as much as you can from someone with autism) but it still topped me up til I see him next time :D DD2 was full of guilt as usual for it being since NYD that they had been over, I told her not to worry I know how she has to juggle everything but it didn't do any good bless her! They baked some gluten free cookies with Thumper (I am still clearing up my kitchen) :D

PEPPAPIG glad you have treated yourselves to some new bedroom bits. Your crafts sound lovely, and will keep you going through the cold dreary months. That is lovely that you meet up once a month with your ex chemo ladies. I will admit I would have run a mile and missed out. OMG I love apple crumble I am going to have to order some stuff in my shop and make one now :D

3FORHOLIDAYS its really annoying when gift cards don't work, DD2 got me a starbucks one a couple of years ago and they said there was no money on there, and of course she couldn't find the receipt so £10 was lost!

VULPIX I have always had the image of you being a very sociable person, especially seen as you love a party, but I suppose you know who you have invited and feel comfortable with them. Good on you for putting yourself out there though when you moved, it takes a lot of courage to do that
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning, just popping into say hi.
    My girls were in a dance show at the weekend which has taken a lot of preparing for. I was in charge of making some costumes which was fun. So glad it all went well and looked fantastic.

This week I am so fed up with work. It's so mundane. And folk I'm working with are annoying me. I'm trying to not let them bother me. I'd love another job, but the hours and holidays are tok perfect to give up (term time) .
    I'm just leaving now for work, I'll try and catch up properly later.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • vulpix
    vulpix Posts: 2,310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh Nic it's a drag when you don't have much option with your work.As a single Mum I took a job in a school because of my kids and ended up staying 20 years! I had my ups and downs with it,but the doldrums pass,a bit like a marriage I suppose. It does mean you are there for your children which is worth so much.It sounds like you are a fab Mum,always doing things with them.I think that kind of investment pays off when they turn out to be great adults.xx

Free,I am sociable...but.I am not shy or anything but actually do like to be at home in my own company.It would be too easy to do that so I have to force myself out into the world! I don't have close friends though,people on here probably know me better than most.

Finished another cushion for DS today.DD1 and I were planning to visit Ds on Saturday to watch him play rugby then have a day in Oxford then have the next day in Bath.Haha,we forgot to involve him in the plans and he is going to London to watch Wales in the rugby.Doh.We will just have to do it without him.

Vx
     :
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    January is finally over!

Hope everyone is doing ok.

Third standing order for this Christmas has gone across to the separate savings account today. That's all the Christmassy things happening. Time to think about Mother's Day as that will soon creep round this time with Easter being earlier too.

Looking forward to a week off mid February. Not had a week off since October so much needed.
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • freespirit66
    Options
    Evening everyone, DS bought me a Anxiety and Phobia workbook recommended by a counsellor and omg it is fascinating, i can really see myself in so many of the symptoms, i will let you know how i get on and if it helps.

NIC i bet you were so proud watching your girls in their show. I used to die inside if one of my lot came home asking for costumes :rotfl: My DD1 goes through periods where she cant stand work or her colleagues, she knows it is then time to book some time off to get away :o it must be lovely to have the same time off as the kids though

VULPIX i too like my own company but i think it is detrimental to me being like that. I have one good friend in RL but she moved away with her husbands work, and now he is retired, she is so busy so we don't get to chat on the phone as much as we used to. Have a lovely girly weekend away with your DD, i haven't been to Bath or Oxford for years now.

STOKIEBECKS i have already put away quite a lot towards my Christmas budget too, where i don't have to pay council tax in Jan and Feb and Water Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb i put it all in my Christmas pot, it makes such a difference and i don't miss it because it is what i would have paid out in bills anyway

#103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • girlinayellowdress
    Options
    Oh Free, I’ll be interested in how you get on with the workbook. I saw the gp yesterday and she recommended 2 apps to help, she said she uses them and highly recommends them. We will have to swap notes.
    Nearly sorted everything from the move, now it’s deciding what jobs need doing. It’s nice knowing that there is no rush to do things but I will set one task of decorating a month and hopefully it will be nice for next Christmas. The past couple of Christmases have been pretty mundane so pushing the festivities this year.
  • xironsongx
    Options
    I'm putting £31 away each month for Christmas . I've got loads of christmas cards left over from 2017 and also brought 8 rolls of wrapping paper for 25p each in the Jan sales .

This year I'm not going overboard with presents as I have a Wedding, emergency fund and eventually a house to save for.
    :heart: Engaged 01-09-17 :heart: Wedding £519.78 (BA) £80.22 (Sp) / £5,600 £5,000 left to save:heart:
  • Gettingtherequickly
    Options
    Hello there! Sorry I have been mia, not had a a great week. Last Thursday girl I worked with died, she moved away when we were all made redundant, but a lot of us have kept in touch via FB. As we all lost our jobs more than 10 years ago, it kind of shocked me how close we all were when we worked together and how her death has affected us all.

Then yesterday, someone else I know died suddenly. Not many knew that he was being treated for leukaemia, saw him 10 days ago and he was in really good form, said he was getting a little stronger. Less than 48 hours later he was kept in by the hospital as he had an infection (he was bored in hospital so was going in every day for chemo and home again in the evening). Needless to say he was not a happy bunny at being kept in. Yesterday morning he had a bleed and they couldn't save him. He was only 31. Sorry for off loading, but needed to get it off my chest.

Picked up a couple of bits for the families in Wilko sale but nothing else for Christmas.

Out for family dinner in Covent Garden tomorrow for my brother's birthday so something nice to look forward to.
    A smile costs little but creates much :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure