PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• RevolvingDoor
    Options
    I have been switching off lights and plugs when I'm not in the room and I have noticed that it really does cut the energy bills. I didn't used to bother as I thought it couldn't make much difference.:o

We don't have gas but our electric is only £55 a month now and we were in credit so we got some money back. Did people on here know that if you call up to give the company a meter reading you can check if you are in credit? I didn't know that until the other day so we had a "free" month this month and they didn't charge us as they used the credit instead.
    joolzred wrote: »
    My sneaky water-saving tip if you're on a meter and have a shower - get a clean plastic bucket & old plastic jug, and when you're waiting for the water to get hot, either put the shower head in the bucket or if it's a mixer tap save the water running from the tap before it gets hot (do this nekkid so you can get in the shower asap!)

Good idea!:) It's just wasted water otherwise.
  • daffodiltulip
    Options
    pamsdish wrote: »
    I find I prefer to turn off shower soap over body then rinse.

I think it's more efficient. Whoever thought it was a good idea to wash (i.e. use soap) whilst standing under running water? It's a bit like trying to clear the drive of snow during a snowstorm!
  • GreenNinja
    Options
    zoelb wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips so far - really useful. This thread is shaping up to be as good as the last :)

My tip is dying my clothes. Mainly my black jeans tend to fade after time, but still have plenty of wear in them - so I get a pack of black dylon machine dye (around £4 but you can find it cheaper I think) and dye them (throw in a couple of light tops too you want to revive to get the most out of it). I also dyed a pair of light wash jeans which I never wear, but love the fit, a lovely dark denim colour, and now I wear them loads!

Easier than scouring the shops for the perfect fit jeans, and cheaper too!

Fantastic idea!! Many thanks for this! I have a fave pair of black jeggings which have faded loads, so this will give a new lease of life!! :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sparrer wrote: »
    Which just goes to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks - thanks for the tips :)
    You're welcome Sparrer, I love learning new things.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Uniscots97
    Options
    Old tights (clean obviously!) have many uses. They are perfect for storing onions. But they are great for making into shower scrunchies. You make them by roughly measuring a 10-15cm length and folding it back and forward until the end. Then tie tightly with a bit of nylon string (if you don't have any then take an elastic band and tie it in a knot and use one side of this to tie the tights and the other is a loop to hang it up), then with the ends tie into a loop so you can hang it up.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    How have I not seen this brilliant thread before? Looking forward to a good read in depth later!
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • MothFilledWallet
    Options
    pamsdish wrote: »
    I find I prefer to turn off shower soap over body then rinse.

The good ol' Navy wash, for when you have to conserve as much water as possible as you have a finite supply on a ship/sub.

you can do a something like it in an old fashioned tin bath (My mum has a snazzy thick plastic one that I used to sit in as a kid and pretend I was in a boat). Two/three big steel buckets of warm/hot water (or 4-6 smaller buckets more manageable buckets)

(I used the kitchen hot tap to fill the buckets)

Bucket 1 to wet and lather up, including hair.
    Bucket 2 to wash body off, and light rinse out of hair.
    Bucket 3 for final rinse of hair and rinse off any lurking suds.

What I called a 'Posh wash', for when mum was coming to tea or something else where I needed to be squeaky clean lol

Only need 1-2 buckets if you have short hair, mine is rather long now but could get it all done with 1 bucket when I had a shaved head. Half to lather, half to rinse.

Had to do this for a few months when my bathroom plumbing went funny (yes I know....heheheh....plumbing...)

Used the water to flush the loo for the next day :D

There is a bit of an art to it as first, if you're a bigger person and not very mobile I'd fill an extra bucket for missed bits ;)

Best done in a warm room with towels close to hand as it can be rather nippy to say the least in the winter months if you go for the full wash. :eek:
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Washing.... I was talking to a friend the other week who is on benefits and has a prepaid key meter for gas and electricity. I was trying to help her make savings from what she spends on fuel.
    She told me she spends 'Hours in the shower, I like to get all the shampoo and conditioner out of my hair.'

Like me, she has a deep bathroom sink, and short hair, so I suggested she wash her face and shampoo/condition her hair in the sink as I often do, before stepping into the shower for a 3 minute from- the- neck -down wash. (I have a timer that helps me to stick to under 4 minutes.)

My friend looked at me as if I'd come out of the Stone Age... I thought it was quite a sensible suggestion! :o

At the risk of it being TMI and my being new to this thread, I've found a portable bidet brilliant for freshening up those Important Little Places, rather than having a full shower when I don't need one... I won't let you know what she said about that! :rotfl:
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A shower timer is a brilliant idea for saving electricity and water. It is possible to have enough of a shower to wash your face and body adequately in just two minutes, and if you want a longer, more relaxing shower then five minutes is loads of time! Try it and see.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Uniscots97
    Options
    Rather than buying expensive eye make up remover use a cotton bud dipped into a drop of olive oil this will happily break down even waterproof mascara.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback