Do you ever regret going on holiday?

Options
Holidays are expensive - even if it's fun at the time, when they're over do you ever wish you hadn't done it and had the few hundred pounds back again?

Like money spent down the pub or in the cinema or on restaurants?

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No Nope Never.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No
    And it would be more than a few hundred. .
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh yes, of course - I wish had spent more time at work....

:p
    Not even wrong
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 February 2018 at 8:40PM
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    No Nope Never.
    z1a wrote: »
    No
    And it would be more than a few hundred. .

Both of these ^^^^^^^^^

Maybe you're going on the wrong sort of holiday?
    I don't go on the sort of holidays that alot of other people I know do (beach/resort/lying in the sun/eating too much/drinking too much). I wouldn't enjoy it and hence it would be a waste of money, which is why I don't do it in the first place.
    :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hotel Cortijo Blanco, San Pedro, Spain.

I wasn't well & shouldn't have gone. If I had been with it I'd have moved out.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think I'd prefer colder, historic places myself, I think I got dragged on a lot of sun holidays as a kid and haven't had the budget yet to go myself, although I went to the iow and found that interesting, it is painful for me to spend hard earned cash until I retire and I won't think of work every time I spend it , thank you for replies:)
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    We have never regretted a holiday at home or abroad since getting married in 1979. My wife demands that we have at least 1 holiday a year and we have always done that, be it in a caravan or holiday park with the children when we couldn't afford to go overseas or spending a few thousand on a luxury holiday to St Lucia now that the children have left home.
    We have had all sorts of holidays including touring overseas and at home, lying in the sun, river cruise in Egypt and Scuba Diving.
    Holidays are about unwinding with friends or family (or both) and having quality time and relaxation.
    As long as you choose what you enjoy within your known budget and decide what you want from your holiday you should never regret it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    While I was saving up a house deposit (and now wedding), over the last few years I've used Google maps streetview for a sort of sightseeing. For me it's just hard to save and a big holiday would completely scupper that, but if things got better financially over time u would relax more
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I'd prefer colder, historic places myself, I think I got dragged on a lot of sun holidays as a kid and haven't had the budget yet to go myself, although I went to the iow and found that interesting, it is painful for me to spend hard earned cash until I retire and I won't think of work every time I spend it , thank you for replies:)

You could be hit by a bus and die tomorrow. Planning for the future is good, but it’s important to have balance and enjoy today and actually experience life while you can.

Not all holidays have been perfect, but I find the experiences and memories have far more value to me than the monetary cost of any holiday I’ve been on.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're saving up to marry the woman who chucks you out every time you get sick?

If I were you I'd go for the holiday.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure