PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Missing deeds

Options
13»

Comments

• michael8626
    michael8626 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First thing to point out is that the registered extent won't be changed without an actual application being submitted along with supporting evidence.

Second thing is that the consent of each registered owner and probably any mortgage lender would be required as well.

The third thing is that there's a lot of information here and the advice we appear to have given is not what I would have expected. But that often depends on what is asked and what details are shared/available. So I'll try and pick off what I can in general terms as I don't have any specifics.

Two properties first registered in 2000 and 2005 - we don't map a title based solely on the OS detail. We use the OS detail as a base map but would rely on the deeds lodged with any application to then decide on the registered extent.
    If there was any uncertainty we might do a site visit to see for our own eyes.
    Clearly where you have an already registered title 'fitting' the next one may be easy on paper but the same criteria apply, namely Deeds have to show title and if everything matches then great.
    But remember no deed plan and no title plan will show you the exact legal boundary and the latter shows the general boundaries only (Yes some titles can have a Determined Boundary with strict measurements but they remain very rare indeed)

We are not a deeds repository so as others have mentioned we don't retain copies if all the deeds. We register a title for the first time based on the deeds and return them to the applicant.

Where a deed includes details such as rights, covenants, provisions etc that need to appear on the register then we may retain a copy on file - hence some entries will say 'copy filed'. But we may also set out the key extracts on the register and no copy is kept.

The old deeds will very rarely solve such issues though unless of course you both read them and agree on what they tell you.

Interestingly you refer to a building plot now and a previously marked but presumably open boundary. So no fence, wall or hedge say. As such there's always the possibility if some uncertainty as to where the boundary line is but if nothing has ever physically fixed the whole boundary in place uncertainty will always exist, especially where one party wants it to.

7x50x2 is a big chunk of land. Your title plans woukd be your first port if call so it might be prudent to get a surveyor to interpret them and the land and report on where they think the boundary line is.

However if you aren't go to agree or accept that or don't want that then the sole arbiter woukd be a court of law. And in my experience judges look very dimly on such matters coming before them as it should be something neighbour's resolve between themselves.

So no one piece of information is going to trump another BUT the starting point is now your 19 and 14 year old title plans. They are your state guaranteed general boundaries.

You want to build so I assume where you want to build up to is key re this boundary.
    The neighbour, for whatever reason(s), believes the boundary is in another place but that appears to mean you are on a big chunk of their land if so.
    So next steps would be to try and discuss it further and agree where the boundary lies and fix it.
    If that's unlikely then get some legal advice as to what your and their options are as in my experience such things can be a bit like a tennis match and very to and fro until someone decides not to hit the ball back.

Thank you very much for a detailed and concise answer.

For reference I called 0300 006 0411 on Monday at 10.51, after a long wait the call lasted 24 minutes. I am not sure if you can pick up calls from the incoming number but I am happy to DM my number if you so wish. The call was to a male adviser, his words 'when we mapped your neighbours registration, we had even less information to go on than yours, we probably mapped it from an OS map'.

I am just concerned that neither mine nor my neighbours deeds were scanned and held on file by Land Registry. As you alluded to in your reply, my property contains a shared driveway that I own and grant access to two other properties, details of which are on my title register.

I am also deeply concerned that a company called Ashfords LLP, on instruction by Santander, 'electronically discharged' my deeds on 5th April 2006. They now claim to have sent me the deeds by special delivery on 16th April 2006. I can categorically state, and would swear on oath, that I have never ever seen or received my deeds to my property.

I have had borrowing on said property from 2000 to date, when trying to trace my deeds my current mortgage provider asked Santander for the deeds last year when I remortgaged, so not all lenders 'hand back the deeds' as and when they see fit?

Ashfords LLP state they do not hold a scanned copy of my deeds, I find this incredulous.

With regards the land in dispute, I would not be building on it, it forms part of the garden.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,782 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 July 2019 at 2:19PM
    Options
    Thank you very much for a detailed and concise answer.

For reference I called 0300 006 0411 on Monday at 10.51, after a long wait the call lasted 24 minutes. I am not sure if you can pick up calls from the incoming number but I am happy to DM my number if you so wish. The call was to a male adviser, his words 'when we mapped your neighbours registration, we had even less information to go on than yours, we probably mapped it from an OS map'.

I am just concerned that neither mine nor my neighbours deeds were scanned and held on file by Land Registry. As you alluded to in your reply, my property contains a shared driveway that I own and grant access to two other properties, details of which are on my title register.

I am also deeply concerned that a company called Ashfords LLP, on instruction by Santander, 'electronically discharged' my deeds on 5th April 2006. They now claim to have sent me the deeds by special delivery on 16th April 2006. I can categorically state, and would swear on oath, that I have never ever seen or received my deeds to my property.

I have had borrowing on said property from 2000 to date, when trying to trace my deeds my current mortgage provider asked Santander for the deeds last year when I remortgaged, so not all lenders 'hand back the deeds' as and when they see fit?

Ashfords LLP state they do not hold a scanned copy of my deeds, I find this incredulous.

With regards the land in dispute, I would not be building on it, it forms part of the garden.

Many thanks and noted - I can do my best to explain our position re 'the deeds' if you give me the title number.
    I can also add some general thoughts around what may have happened to them but IF your lender had them they would be the ones to clarify.

Re your call and our reply I'm uncertain of why they would say we 'mapped it from an OS map'. But I'm not questioning you on that, but ourselves.
    When someone applies to register a property for the first time they have to define the extent to be registered e.g. Edged blue on the attached plan or edged red on the plan to the Conveyance dated did/mm/yyyy and include that detail.

We then look at the OS detail available at the time of their application and consider what that tells us alongside the deeds. The deeds are though the starting point. The OS detail gives us a base map on which we can then look to register the title extent.
    So I can't see how we can map it from an OS map onto an OS map but that may be just how they thought they could explain things
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • michael8626
    Options
    Title number SK207102

Thanks
  • michael8626
    Options
    Many thanks and noted - I can do my best to explain our position re 'the deeds' if you give me the title number.
    I can also add some general thoughts around what may have happened to them but IF your lender had them they would be the ones to clarify.

Re your call and our reply I'm uncertain of why they would say we 'mapped it from an OS map'. But I'm not questioning you on that, but ourselves.
    When someone applies to register a property for the first time they have to define the extent to be registered e.g. Edged blue on the attached plan or edged red on the plan to the Conveyance dated did/mm/yyyy and include that detail.

We then look at the OS detail available at the time of their application and consider what that tells us alongside the deeds. The deeds are though the starting point. The OS detail gives us a base map on which we can then look to register the title extent.
    So I can't see how we can map it from an OS map onto an OS map but that may be just how they thought they could explain things

Title number SK207102

Thanks
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    Many thanks - I'll order the paper files as well just to see what was submitted on first registration. May mean a day's delay in responding again
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • michael8626
    Options
    Many thanks - I'll order the paper files as well just to see what was submitted on first registration. May mean a day's delay in responding again

That’s great. Would you have a record also of the solicitor I used to do the transfer? I can’t remember their name 😢 just clutching at straws they may have taken a copy of my original deeds. Thanks
  • Land_Registry
    edited 19 July 2019 at 10:27AM
    Options
    That’s great. Would you have a record also of the solicitor I used to do the transfer? I can’t remember their name �� just clutching at straws they may have taken a copy of my original deeds. Thanks

We do have that record but you'd have to apply by post for a copy of the application form or list of deeds/docs lodged at the time.

As it was 2000 it is unlikely that they have retained any record though unless you have used them for property matters since?

For clarity can you give me an indication of which neighbouring land the boundary issue is with please? The property bounds a number of other properties so it may find it easier to email us
  • Land_Registry
    Options
    That’s great. Would you have a record also of the solicitor I used to do the transfer? I can’t remember their name 😢 just clutching at straws they may have taken a copy of my original deeds. Thanks

I've replied directly and specifically by email and hope that reply helps.

The two titles were mapped in 2000 and 2003 and based on deeds lodged at the time along with the existing OS detail.
    That detail is only available from our paper records so I can only apologise if the support line misinformed you in their phone reply as they would not have had access to those paper files.

The issue here is that the OP's title was mapped first in 2000 based on details provided and after a site visit by one of our surveyors.
    When the adjoining title was registered/mapped in 2003 the issue over the registered boundary was raised with the solicitor acting for the neighbour and the title mapped to adjoin.

It seems that at that time there was no physical boundary feature in place along the boundary line as defined in the deeds submitted in 2000.

However as explained earlier legal and registered boundaries do not always follow the physical features on the ground. So what some may think must be the legal or registered boundary because there's a fence, a wall or a hedge there may not always be so.
    The main reason for this distinction is, and others have also posted this, that fences, walls and hedges can be moved for a variety of reasons. But in doing so you don;t then change the legal or registered boundary as a result. That can happen after time (adverse possession) or can happen if neighbours agree to 'fix' the position through a formal agreement or (if the change is significant) transfer the legal ownership from one to the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure