JISOFT - Alternative to Quicken / MS Money

Options

Comments

• Chordeiles
    Chordeiles Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BarkingMad wrote: »
    MS Money V12 from he "about" box. MS Money 2004 from the CD box.

I'm using that, have been since late 2003 I suppose. If I have issues with it it's certainly not slowness (my data is 16MB). Annoyances as follows:
    1. I keep finding myself edting a transaction I wanted to leave alone. Maybe this because a click anywhere on the transaction form is same as clicking the "Edit" button.
    2. When jumping back years in the date box one has to be unnaturally precise in hitting the middle of the year and then the "back/forward" arrows.
    3. Back in 2010 it went crazy on me, the account totals didn't add up properly. Eventually decided it was a bug based on corruption of the .MNY file (itself converted from .QIF many years earlier) and started afresh, no problems in last 7 years.

On another thread on this forum I found a link to download Money 2005 (v14.0.120.1105), the last ever release for the UK. It converted my .MNY file to .M12 format which is about 25% smaller. And it fixed issue no.2 in my gripe list above. But otherwise I hate it.. It keeps going online for information that isn't there now (such as the "Help" file !). Generally I keep finding myself on the MSN homepage whenever I am trying to do something much simpler. And in trying to make the interface look like a browser there is less screen available for what you really want to do. I notice that investment accounts now have the option of a "transfer account" which may (or may not, without "Help" I can't tell) suit those with accounts at Hargreaves Lansdown (who insist on maintaining two cash accounts in each investment account).

Right now I'm pleased I tried Money 2005 on a spare PC with a spare copy of my .MNY file ! For the foreseeable future I'm quite happy with Money 2004, and I'd recommend it. I hope the OP finds the reason for his slow operation, which I doubt is file size. If you find a downloadable copy of Money 2004 for goodness sake run it by a virus checker, it's a frequent scam to distribute infected versions of popular programs that are no longer available through the normal channels.
  • batrachophagus
    Options
    Nationwide gave me a free copy of MS Money many years ago as their bank account used to link automatically. Once MS stopped supporting Money I moved over to Account Tracker on iOS but had to setup accounts again on a current balance basis.

Works for me, and I'm slightly less obsessed with record keeping than I used to be. The reports are not going to be as customisable as on Money though, and non-share investments prices have to be updated manually.
  • Corfucastaway
    Options
    My Quicken 2002 has just given up the ghost.It wont load the data. Just a blank page. Tried reisntall and restore back up and it says error with last task restart quicken... which doesnt solve the problem. Pity I,loved the programme and it suited my kind of banking. Nothing I can find online lets me believe I can revive it. Reading this thread in search of reassurance that the Jiosoft programme might be a good alternative and be able to import my Quicken data... Can anyone tell me if it might be a good alternative? Looking at the Money manager again I can work out whether I will be able to import my Quicken QDF data? Any advice gratefully received.
  • BarkingMad
    BarkingMad Posts: 56 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2018 at 6:36PM
    Options
    I bought JioSoft and have installed it, but not migrated to it from MS Money. I think you'd need a working version of Quicken in order to export your account details/transactions to JioSoft. The instructions say that you export, create account in JioSoft and import on a per account basis.

It seems strange Quicken has died. Perhaps the Quicken file itself is corrupt? One possible way forward would be to install the Sunset version of MS Money - and see if Money can import your Quicken file. I moved from Quicken to Money many years ago and it worked for me.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20738
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Quicken automatically keeps backup each time its exited - unless someone has turned it off
    I looks like a data file corruption issue to me also
    It keeps a sequence of backups - 7 I think is the default, I've increased mine to the max of 10.
    Try loading one of the backups - they are standard copies of the original, they are not compressed/encrypted at all
    Should be in the same directory as the quicken file in a subdirectory called backup.
    I'm using Quicken 2001 deluxe
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wow,,, another OLD post brought back to life.

still MS money for me
  • RevAl_2
    Options
    Hi BarkingMad,
    I've just come across your post, as I was searching for an opinion of Jisoft compared to Banktree. I too have used MS Money (2005) for years and wouldn't change but for compatability issue with back-up files on Windows 10. Did you go for Jisoft in the end, and would you recommend it. I don't want Financial Management software based online, but to keep it local.
    Many thanks
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    RevAl wrote: »
    Hi BarkingMad,
    I've just come across your post, as I was searching for an opinion of Jisoft compared to Banktree. I too have used MS Money (2005) for years and wouldn't change but for compatability issue with back-up files on Windows 10. Did you go for Jisoft in the end, and would you recommend it. I don't want Financial Management software based online, but to keep it local.
    Many thanks

Cant see you will get a response any time soon.
  • BarkingMad
    Options
    I'm not sure why I wouldn't respond. Here is my response.

I ordered Jiosoft and have installed it. I haven't migrated to it from Money. The migration process seemed to be long winded - and is done on a per account basis.

I'm running MS Money V12 on 64 bit Win 10 Home with backup files without any issues.

Hope this helps

Regards

BarkingMad
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I LOVE this site ….another post for MS Money
    on a pc or laptop.....not even connected to the internet !!!

so safe.....if you have MANY accounts to look after...
    it's all set up for you to enter ALLLLLL your data...

it will not do it for you....keep control of your money

or are you that lazy ??????????????????? 6

running 68 bit MS10 and working FINE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills