From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you HI.

Postman has been today and still no claim pack has arrived :(.

DD1 received her accomodation offer yesterday so the moving to uni comes a step closer. Only hoping all this TC stuff will be sorted by then so that I can help her to get the bits and pieces that she needs. The place where she works have given her an extra week's work which will help her to save a little more.

EAting an eclectic mix of food at the moment. Sunday was tuna plait with roast potatoes and veg, yesterday was macaroni cheese and garlic bread. Still considering today but might have to be pasties from the depths of the freezer.

Spent £8 on food yesterday, just getting milk, eggs, pasta, reduced bread, baking margarine and a small packet of biscuits. At least if I have margarine and eggs I can bake snacks and make filling puddings.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Went through the accommodation offer with DD1 to find a prepayment mentioned. I couldn't find any price mentioned so rang up the uni. Turns out a deposit has to be paid. I had to ask them what happens if we can't find that money in the next 3 days (which we can't). They were very helpful but I had to explain the whole sorry scenario of separation, ex's lack of contribution before and after separation and the TC situation. I've had to put it all in an email too. I've offered to pay it at the end of the month on the next payday so am waiting to see what they say.
    Feel so bad that I'm dragging DD1 down:(:(:(
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You aren't dragging her down. You're supporting her to make a move that will probably enhance her prospects. Some young people have to get through Uni without any parental support so she is much better off than some and you will get the deposit sorted in the next few weeks.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you Cherryfudge...I did get an email back from the accomodation officer saying that DD1 had to request the extension, which she did straight away. She now has until the 1st Sept to accept and pay the deposit. Unfortunately she can't accept without paying, but we did make clear in the emails that she was keen to take up the accommodation offer. Thankfully that gives us enough time to get the money together to meet the deposit; some from her wages and some from my wages.

Feeling much better today, as the tax credit pack arrived at last! It came in today's post, so I spent the afternoon completing it and posting it back by recorded delivery. Hoping that the claim will be processed quickly.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Glad the claim pack arrived, make sure you keep an eye on your online tax account it will show on there and you'll probably receive the payment before the award letter arrives x
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope your TC situation is resolved soon. Although I haven't used them for a long time I know they can be a nightmare.

Exciting times for your DD going off to uni but that too can be expensive and worrying.

Louby
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    DD2's results day today. She had worked hard all through Year 11 and her results reflected that. Her course in Sept isn't dependent on her GCSE results but was confirmed today, I sat and worked through the transport forms with her so that we can get that sorted next.

Ended up having to borrow from family today, just to get through to payday next week. I had tried to pare back on everything and have been careful to only make essential journeys. My main cost has been food and diesel as getting DD1 from home to a half way point to connect her with public transport to get to work, being the main journey. Had to admit problems though. My family are amazing and helpful; it was a relief to be able to do a decent shop and have food in the fridge again.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Very well done to your DD!

Big hugs to you because it's a hard time and you were up so late. Lovely that family were willing to help out and you can have a full fridge again. It will sort out in the long term - payday's on it's way but it feels like a long month this time around.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thank you Cherryfudge for your kind words. I've had a productive few days since my family's help. I think I'd been so worried about everything, I hadn't been able to do anything else if that makes sense. Having a full fridge and not being anxious about the food makes a huge difference too.
    My grandmother is staying for a few days. She is well into her 90s and is amazing. We went to the beach today - it was just too nice to be indoors. The toddler splashed happily in rock pools while the DDs either slept or went in the sea.
    One week left of the holidays so am determined to get all the house jobs done as well as preparations for the new term. I've got most of DD2's things ready. Just waiting on the transport decision to know how much to pay. DS1 has to have a different coloured tie for his last year, but other than that, only a new pair of trousers. I' d forgotten that I bought him a new pair of school shoes very close to the end of last term. To be honest I end up buying so many pairs of shoes ( for children I hasten to add), it had completely slipped my mind, but happy to find that's one child's footwear sorted!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    DD1 now has 2 extra weeks of work, which will then give her one week before starting uni. So glad for her that she has the extra time, which will hopefully add to her buffer.

A few birthdays in September including 2 of the children and my brother. I haven't got any presents yet other than I did pay for DD2's provisional licence a few weeks back and said that would be part of her birthday gift.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family