The London Mint Office - scam?

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that they have asked for permission, it's just that they haven't yet received that permission because under their user name it states:
    "Awaiting Authorisation
    MoneySaving Newbie"

Looks like the authorisation wasn't forthcoming. ;)
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    Options
    virgonick wrote: »
    Like a few of you it seems that I have failed to research before ordering from London Mint.I ordered a Waterloo campaign medal.It has not arrived.I have been invoiced for the goods.I have a string of emails from them promising delivery within certain dates none of which have been honoured.I have asked them today to confirm details of how it was despatched by whom and when so that I can commence a tracking complaint from Royal Mail or whomsoever they use for postage.
    Any advice on how to proceed?I have attempted to speak to people by telephone but each number - there are 4 on the invoice- is permanently unavailable.
    This is all a bit unsettling from what I am reading of this company.Nick.

Hopefully you paid by card.

Cancel any subscription you may've set up with LM.
    Cancel any continuous payment authority you may've set up.
    Read MSE's chargeback article.
    Seek a chargeback from your card issuer.
  • virgonick
    Options
    What a great response.I'm truly grateful.And as if by magic I received a telephone call shortly after posting on here from someone purporting to be from London Mint - no number recorded when the call came in- who asked me for details that had already been supplied.Thankfully I have not paid anything and will be cancelling the order.
    Many thanks for your advice.Regards,Nick
  • irishsausage
    Options
    I fell for this 6 months ago. I got the Waterloo campaign medal, received it and paid for it. All done or so I thought.

Now I moved house on the 14th of February. I have just this week received a forwarded letter (from my old address) from Sigma Red requesting payment of £101.30. I have no idea what this is for neither have I received anything from the London Mint.

Where do I stand legally. Am I responsible for the potentially lost items ( i imagine the new tenants have a nice new coin collection) or will this go away. I have rung Sigma Red and they had no idea I'd moved and will ring me back once they know.

Any help will be appreciated.
  • Adrian_Garnham
    Options
    I have fallen for this is as well i paid fort he coins i asked for and now i have received one i don't want and didn't ask for.
    What do i do now ????

any help appreciated
  • The-Truth
    The-Truth Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    virgonick wrote: »
    .And as if by magic I received a telephone call shortly after posting on here

You seem to have put that down to posting on here but I very much doubt that seeing they must get hundreds of orders and your post basically has nothing but very basic information!
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The-Truth wrote: »
    You seem to have put that down to posting on here but I very much doubt that seeing they must get hundreds of orders and your post basically has nothing but very basic information!

"basic information" that was posted over a year ago and the poster in question hasn't been active on MSE since that time so it's unlikely (although not impossible) that they won't see your response.
  • avallon
    Options
    Why can't this be stopped ? They are playing on vulnerable people and have just tricked my wife into buying into their obnoxious scam.
  • hybernia
    hybernia Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    If an old thread is to be resurrected from the grave, it would be good if there was a reason for doing so.

As to The London Mint, its activities have been widely covered on the Internet. This short piece by Tony Hetherington in 2014 says it all:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2799829/tony-hetherington-london-mint-coin-collection-worth-tenth-paid.html

Basically, coins from The London Mint are worthless or nearly so. They are not any kind of investment. Instead they are, as The London Mint so laughably says, an "illustration" (a copy) of what a particular coin may have looked like at a particular time. And in some cases, they are not even that. Just inventions by a private company.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    avallon wrote: »
    Why can't this be stopped ? They are playing on vulnerable people and have just tricked my wife into buying into their obnoxious scam.

If by "just", you mean that the coin/s were received in the past 14 days, your wife can return them for a full refund.
    https://www.londonmintoffice.org/returns-information
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure