The London Mint Office - scam?

Comments

• Here is a free phone number for the London Mint - 0800 037 4321
    Also here is a free returns address :The London Mint Office, Freepost, RSJB-GYZL-SHTG, London, EC4Y 8DP (No Stamp Required).
    hope this helps.
  • MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
  • I have applied for a bronze style free coin and together with the cost of a certificate and number verification I preceded to action the purchase. I notified a friend of mine, who read some replied on here, as now have I and it all seems a little dubious.

I contacted the Powers that be in connection with the card I used and I am now advised to hang fire and see if my coin arrives and whether or not the London Mint Office pester me with Approvals etc. The bottom line here is that if necessary my card will be blocked and reissued.

Thank you to all who posted your reservations and to my friend who informed me. I made it clear while on the phone to my Card Operator that we receive lots of online and phone scams and mail ones too, but on the TV it is not expected as it is from that medium that we are normally advised against such scams/schemes etc.
  • I have also applied for one of these coins, because I mistakenly assumed that it was in accordance with those who oversee the forthcoming Commemorations of this Bicentenary Event. Having read posts on here, and Facebook too it appears that the Trust we put in them was simply misguided. Normally, when coins are purchased by those of a Professional Standing they are dispatched asap. Anything short of this has scam written all over it. The lesson for us all here is just because the ads are on TV does not mean that it is trusting. I had however before this, assumed it to be so.
  • For the record I am £15 40 out of pocket. On Facebook I realised that my order details were there on view. Normally when posting links to tickets purchased this is not so. I smelt a rat and promptly deleted it and its links.
  • I too, am £15.40 out of pocket. I've received several emails from LMO promising my refund - it has not appeared. Had to raise with MBNA (credit card) billing dispute.

Had to forward all emails to them.

Hopefully I will receive my refund

My advice about London Mint Office?

AVOID !! AVOID !! AVOID !!
  • Just reading back through this thread. Has anyone ever had any success with getting a refund? I got nowhere with the Office of Fair Trading. I also wrote to Rip Off Britain and BBC Watchdog but didn't even get a response. I never got any response from LMO either. I gave up long ago but I see LMO are still operating selling worthless coins. Would be wonderful to know if anyone has ever got anywhere.
  • My mum recently passed away and when sorting out her stuff i have come across about 40-50 souvenir coins. They are all paid for (I knew she bought them but it was her money, although i didnt know she bought so many!) - question is as others have asked - are they worth anything at all??? - Where can i go or who to ask??? I just dont know what to do with them??? Any advice?
    On subject of dealing with them - they didnt want to close my mums account when she died (dont ask me why - that seems the mentality of these people!) - but after receiving another offer that was re-directed - i went mental at them!!! - BUT i recorded the conversation on an app on my phone then told them that at the END of the call. Clearly stating if my request was not actioned i would go straight to the powers that be! - Since then - nothing fingers crossed!
  • JREG
    JREG Posts: 1 Newbie
    wingnutta wrote: »
    My mum recently passed away and when sorting out her stuff i have come across about 40-50 souvenir coins. They are all paid for (I knew she bought them but it was her money, although i didnt know she bought so many!) - question is as others have asked - are they worth anything at all??? - Where can i go or who to ask??? I just dont know what to do with them??? Any advice?

Don't throw them out, they will have a value - worse case is it will be a pound or two each. Some are worth more it depends on the precious metal content of the coin and the desirability of the subject matter. Crown sized sterling silver ones could be £10-£20 each. Some (just a few) issues have actually gone up in value.

To value them, either look them up on ebay (there should be certificates with each of them to help you identify them), OR take them to your local auction house (they will reach roughly the market value as long as it has an online presence) or contact a local internet based coin dealer. The traditional coin dealers probably won't be that interested as they are often a hard sell and they probably already have a pile of them.
  • I too have been conned into this thanks to a Groupon offer, I had sent to me a coin charging me over £300 I have rang them informing I would like to return it using the 14 day no quibble option but with 3 days left I still haven't been given a returns label

I recorded the time, date and name of the person I spoke to at London mint who said would send the returns label out to me

Does this mean even if it goes over the 14 day period because I have asked to send it back im covered? and can I just send the coin back to this address recorded and signed?

Please somebody help with this as it's starting to cause sleepless nights

Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport